Tank smells terrible

ohio reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 4, 2013
Messages
1,524
Reaction score
20
Location
Columbus Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't describe it. Horrible smell. Infects the whole house. I had a clam die on me, but I had the clam in its own container. This way no crabs could get to it. Realized it was far gone and removed the lid of the container inside of the tank. The smell was instant, and terrible. The whole house smells. What do I do?
 
Yea, something is still decomposing in your tank. I had a leather die one time and it looked ok, but when I picked it up and smelled It, well it wasn't ok. So you might at to pick up a couple of pieces and give them a smell. If they smell foul, then chunk it.
 
+1 on the carbon and a large water change.

Agreed on the Carbon! But.... do a large water change spread over several days as to not shock your fish and corals and also so that the "good" bacteria has a chance to catch up with the new water. Good luck
 
big h2o change and run that skimmer. carbon also buy change in 4 or 5 days..
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new