Tank temperature getting out of control

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! So we are having a bit of a heatwave in the UK, and we’re coming up on summer. I’ve noticed the ambient temperature of ny room is getting quite hot and the temperature probe is sloooowly moving up. At first it went to 28 celcius, and now I’m up to 29.3 celcius.

I don’t have a chiller or a spare fan to run over the tank at the moment, and I’ve turned the heater off completely to try and negate the ambient heat but it’s not dropping.

Am I in danger territory at this heat? Or will it be okay for a few days to a week until the warm weather subsided for a bit?

No fish only inverts and coral.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I freeze bottles of water and put them in my sump. Depending on the size of tank you will need multiple and be able to switch them out routinely.
At 29 c I would be slightly concerned. Especially if it's long term. I start putting my water bottles in at 26.3 c. But I also run my reef at 25.4 c

Dani305

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I freeze bottles of water and put them in my sump. Depending on the size of tank you will need multiple and be able to switch them out routinely.
At 29 c I would be slightly concerned. Especially if it's long term. I start putting my water bottles in at 26.3 c. But I also run my reef at 25.4 c
This is a great idea!

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also reduce your lighting schedule temporarily if you think that is adding heat, or turn them off altogether during the warmest parts of the day. Open windows at night, assuming it is cooler at that time...

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also reduce your lighting schedule temporarily if you think that is adding heat, or turn them off altogether during the warmest parts of the day. Open windows at night, assuming it is cooler at that time...
I’ve got an ai prime 16HD, doesn’t seem to emit any heat. My sump light for my chaeto was giving off massive heat so I dimmed it to 50% but doesn’t seem to have an affect so can’t be that. Windows open wide all the time but it gets so humid when it gets hot here

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic idea thank you, I’ll give that a go!

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also I use this and bought the wifi hub so I get alerts on my phone when away if it goes over 28C. Has a graph so you can see how your tank is throughout the day, week or month.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had softies, LPS, fish, inverts in a 20g nano that would get to 86F every summer, all summer. Was fine.

Probably depends on livestock. When my AC broke last summer during a heat wave, my tank got to 92/93. I lost no fish but did lose most SPS, lost no soft corals and only a few LPS (the finicky ones like a torch). It was pretty hot for a week.

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got an ai prime 16HD, doesn’t seem to emit any heat. My sump light for my chaeto was giving off massive heat so I dimmed it to 50% but doesn’t seem to have an affect so can’t be that. Windows open wide all the time but it gets so humid when it gets hot here
Yeah, doubt the LED's are putting out enough heat to make a difference. Ice seems to be the short term triage solution, then try a fan, then resign to getting a chiller if the fan doesn't cut it...

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TURN THY HOUSE AC ON

can't afford this? then boy are you in the wrong hobby tbh
We don’t have AC in the UK. Our houses are built to insulate heat, not cool down. We only have 2-3 months of hot weather a year, rest of the time it’s raining or freezing

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! So we are having a bit of a heatwave in the UK, and we’re coming up on summer. I’ve noticed the ambient temperature of ny room is getting quite hot and the temperature probe is sloooowly moving up. At first it went to 28 celcius, and now I’m up to 29.3 celcius.

I don’t have a chiller or a spare fan to run over the tank at the moment, and I’ve turned the heater off completely to try and negate the ambient heat but it’s not dropping.

Am I in danger territory at this heat? Or will it be okay for a few days to a week until the warm weather subsided for a bit?

Man Id kill for that Temp. Over 100F in Commiefornia right now hahaha.

I'm a summer hater, so that AC is blowing all-day-long.

Last edited:
OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man Id kill for that Temp. Over 100F in Commiefornia right now hahaha.

I'm a summer hater, so that AC is blowing all-day-long.
It’s great until mid-summer hits and there’s no escape. With the amount of insulation we build our houses with, and how humid the heat is here when it does get hot, you feel like you’re in hell. No way to escape it. I pray for rain most days, just to cool the air down a bit

OPL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi,

I had the same issue last year when i was running a FOWLR system, my tank is in a room which has double patio doors facing the sun in the afternoon.

I have a DD cooling fan running via a DD temperature controller (didnt really help last year) so I have increased the surface agitation, put up some tinted film which allegedly has heat/PV protection/designed for conservatories. The highest temperature my tank has hit so far this summer is 25.5 deg C (set at 25). I got the tinted film from the below if it helps:

As a last resort i have some ready made saltwater at a marginally lower temperature than my tank and some frozen RO.

Hope this helps.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back