Tank temperature problem!!!

loweryphil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are currently undergoing a heatwave in the UK, and my tank temperature has risen to 31 degrees! I have noticed my annanomes starting to bleach because of this. How long can this temperature be sustained? I believe the next few days it is supposed to drop down to 20-24 which should not be that bad

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to cool the tank. Blow a fan over the surface of the water. Freeze plastic water bottles and float them in the sump. Do a water change with cooler water if you have to.

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to freezing water-filled bottles and floating them in the tank. you can also double-bag ice cubes in ziplock bags (squeeze most of the air out for better tank-water-to-bag contact) and float them in the tank or the sump.

Just make sure you seal both ziplock bags well so the melted ice cube water won't leak out of the bags into the tank.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a lid,if so take it off, blow a fan on the surface of the water and also open the sump doors and blow a fan in there too.

Sometimes keeping the windows closed and windows covered can keep the room cooler.

or buy a air con for the room.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually freeze rodi and dump that in. Helps with top off at the same time!

surely the amount needed to drop temp to any noticeable degree would be dropping the salinity far too much to make that a good option?

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
surely the amount needed to drop temp to any noticeable degree would be dropping the salinity far too much to make that a good option?

Depends on how much evaporation you have right? My 30G evaporates 1/2g a day. 1/2g of ice can lower the temp by about 1 degree

Last week my tank was around 83F and I did this once a day to keep it around 81 to 82.

Depending on how much you need you can supplement with other methods like frozen bottle.

Wasabiroot

FW Convert and now Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A large fan works wonders. I had a heat spike and my tank went to 32.5c from a malfunctioning sensor. I floated ice and aimed a fan at the top (50g cube) and it was back to temp within 2-3 hours. It may be something you will need to leave with until this heat wave passes. Certainly cheaper than a chiller.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how much evaporation you have right? My 30G evaporates 1/2g a day. 1/2g of ice can lower the temp by about 1 degree

Last week my tank was around 83F and I did this once a day to keep it around 81 to 82.

Depending on how much you need you can supplement with other methods like frozen bottle.

no not really, as I would assume you would be topping up regularly anyway, the question was looking for a solution to combat a temp increase above and beyond the normal swings, adding more rodi water than what the tank would be using would lower the salinity significantly to achieve a worthwhile temp drop.

If top up water would be enough to achieve the goal, there would be no reason to ask the question.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im also in england and my tank running at 29- 30 degrees.
I removed plastics on hood.
Slid gas doors over on top.( close at night)
Got 7 empty 2 litre bottles of tap water and froze them and add 2 a time for few hours and then replace with another 2 frozen water bottles.
Turned my t5 lights down from 10 hours a day to 7 hours a day.

Doing the above got my tank down to 28 degrees.
Today a 4 fan piece equipment ( £ 29.99 on amazon) put this on top of dt so get coolent evaporation and got temp down to 27 degrees.

Can also slow a return pump down if possible as higher speed it operates the more heat produced.same with power heads.
Should only be few more days then back to normal.
Goodluck and hope you dont lose nothing ^_^

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im also in england and my tank running at 29- 30 degrees.
I removed plastics on hood.
Slid gas doors over on top.( close at night)
Got 7 empty 2 litre bottles of tap water and froze them and add 2 a time for few hours and then replace with another 2 frozen water bottles.
Turned my t5 lights down from 10 hours a day to 7 hours a day.

Doing the above got my tank down to 28 degrees.
Today a 4 fan piece equipment ( £ 29.99 on amazon) put this on top of dt so get coolent evaporation and got temp down to 27 degrees.

Can also slow a return pump down if possible as higher speed it operates the more heat produced.same with power heads.
Should only be few more days then back to normal.
Goodluck and hope you dont lose nothing ^_^

I would be careful reducing the flow especially when the tank is at high temp, might make a slight difference but you could be swapping one issue for another.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no not really, as I would assume you would be topping up regularly anyway, the question was looking for a solution to combat a temp increase above and beyond the normal swings, adding more rodi water than what the tank would be using would lower the salinity significantly to achieve a worthwhile temp drop.

If top up water would be enough to achieve the goal, there would be no reason to ask the question.
I'm not saying topping off water. Im saying topping off with frozen rodi ice so you won't need to top off water again.

This is not your usual adding new rodi water routine and definitely will give you a different temperature effect than just adding top off water.

If you are using fan, your evaporation will be even more than usual so you can use even more rodi ice to get a bigger temperature impact.

This has the same effect as dropping in a frozen soda bottle or dropping in a bag of ziplocked ice cubes. Difference is you don't need to worry about the bottle being dirty or ziplock leaking since your ice will melt into rodi

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not saying topping off water. Im saying topping off with frozen rodi ice so you won't need to top off water again.

This is not your usual adding new rodi water routine and definitely will give you a different temperature effect than just adding top off water.

If you are using fan, your evaporation will be even more than usual so you can use even more rodi ice to get a bigger temperature impact.

so cooling your rodi water...oh right, just with you saying it would also help with top off at the same time, I took that as you were meaning adding extra water on top of the top off water.

Every measure would help, just to what extent is the question.

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll be surprised how much a simple fan on the waters surface can effect and lower temperature. Have you tried this? Computer fans work great for this.

worth noting that although 31 is high as long as it was gradual you are likely safe still. Just gradually reduce it. Don’t do anything drastic to shock the system further.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 52.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back