Tank Transfer Method

dealseer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing a 24 hour TTM with2 fish. Wasn't sure if it was velvet or ich. Went with this to be on the safe side. 36 hour intervals had me up at night. 5 days in. So far so good.

How many days in total will you TTM for Velvet?

tigé21v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this has been addressed in any threads or not, a quick search didn't turn up any info.
Regarding aerosol transmission- can it be "controlled", for lack of a better word? If I were to set up a tank next to an existing one (within a couple of feet, at the most) that I'm sure has ich, could aerosol transmission be negated if the new tank was "upwind" of the existing one? If I were to place a couple of fans blowing onto the far side of the new tank? (Fan→New Tank→Existing Tank. Hope that makes sense.)

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably would be better off covering the tanks with a tight fitting lid vers a fan blowing.

dede

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing a 24 hour TTM with2 fish. Wasn't sure if it was velvet or ich. Went with this to be on the safe side. 36 hour intervals had me up at night. 5 days in. So far so good.
Interested in seeing how this works out especially if it is velvet. Do you have any pics of your infected fish for possible ID.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this has been addressed in any threads or not, a quick search didn't turn up any info.
Regarding aerosol transmission- can it be "controlled", for lack of a better word? If I were to set up a tank next to an existing one (within a couple of feet, at the most) that I'm sure has ich, could aerosol transmission be negated if the new tank was "upwind" of the existing one? If I were to place a couple of fans blowing onto the far side of the new tank? (Fan→New Tank→Existing Tank. Hope that makes sense.)
This is what I do because of a lack of space. I put a small fan at my DT blowing toward my QT. Aerosol transmission is a possible but unlikely occurrence. To minimize the possibility I don't use an air stone if I don't have to. I have the fan blowing which extends the effective difference to over 10 ft by the time the air circulates back around.
You probably would be better off covering the tanks with a tight fitting lid vers a fan blowing.
And I do this with my QT. It isn't very tight fitting, but it doesn't take much.

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about transfer day. It says about exceeding 72 hours is bad, but what is the earliest you can do it on the second transfer?

Say I did this:

Sunday 11pm - put into tank 1
Tuesday - 10pm dose prazi round 1
Wednesday 10:30pm transfer to tank 2
Saturday 10:30 PM is the latest I can transfer, but what is the earliest?

Is the time of the day not relevant, as long as the next transfer happens before 72 hours and the end result is 12 days your fish never in water older than 72 hours?

Pongo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your schedule looks fine.
Anytime Saturday is OK, I wouldn't wait until 10:30 PM.
I like to plan my transfers with a little time to spare incase some of the inmates don't cooperate.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your schedule looks fine.
Anytime Saturday is OK, I wouldn't wait until 10:30 PM.
I like to plan my transfers with a little time to spare incase some of the inmates don't cooperate.

+1 Earlier transfers are fine, so long as the total number of days to pass is 12 OR more, NOT less.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Couple of questions on the TTM:

1- On the move on the 13th day, can you keep the fish in that tank or do you need to move once more?

2- (this may be dumb question) but can you treat prazi first in QT then treat for ICH by TTM at later time? I am getting fish on Sunday afternoon and have to leave town on the 18th and return on the 21st. Timing wise with doing TTM first is moving fish (10th day) on the Wed morning I leave but don't get back until Saturday afternoon (13th day) - over 72 hours on the last transfer. I suppose if I wait on the TTM then the 20 gallong QT where I house them will have to be cleaned during the 13 day transfer before I can move them back there for observation. BTW I plan to use two 10 gallon tanks for transfers and have a 20 gallon QT for observation. The fish will be wrasses.

Sorry for the babble but lost all my wrasses to velvet and have been fallow for just over 2 weeks so far so a little gun shy but plan to QT from now on. Been lucky if you will for years. Thanks

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of questions on the TTM:

1- On the move on the 13th day, can you keep the fish in that tank or do you need to move once more?

2- (this may be dumb question) but can you treat prazi first in QT then treat for ICH by TTM at later time? I am getting fish on Sunday afternoon and have to leave town on the 18th and return on the 21st. Timing wise with doing TTM first is moving fish (10th day) on the Wed morning I leave but don't get back until Saturday afternoon (13th day) - over 72 hours on the last transfer. I suppose if I wait on the TTM then the 20 gallong QT where I house them will have to be cleaned during the 13 day transfer before I can move them back there for observation. BTW I plan to use two 10 gallon tanks for transfers and have a 20 gallon QT for observation. The fish will be wrasses.

Sorry for the babble but lost all my wrasses to velvet and have been fallow for just over 2 weeks so far so a little gun shy but plan to QT from now on. Been lucky if you will for years. Thanks

1.) They are in observation at this point. No more transfers needed.

2.) Yes you can. You are getting your fish on the 8th. Let them settle in the QT, dose Prazi on the 11th, then on the 17th or 18th do your water change and redose prazi. When you get back from vacation move them to your new tank and start doing the under 72 hour swaps.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1.) They are in observation at this point. No more transfers needed.

2.) Yes you can. You are getting your fish on the 8th. Let them settle in the QT, dose Prazi on the 11th, then on the 17th or 18th do your water change and redose prazi. When you get back from vacation move them to your new tank and start doing the under 72 hour swaps.

Thanks! That is what I thought I was reading but just a hair gun shy. Better than relying on my 8th grader to make the final transfer. BTW - I wish it was vacation - work conference.

sensei

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Longest the velvet trophont can stay attached is 4 days. So, three transfers after the fish first enters QT might be good enough to get the job done. But I think I would do the transfers every 36 hours so you aren't even coming close to the 48 hour excystment period.
@Humblefish

I am about to try TTM for velvet, I just need to understand the following:
last time I got velvet it showed 7 weeks after I go the new fish. I did TTM for ich and prazi and then observed, and when I understood that fish had ich as several were dying it was to late and only 1 survided.
how was it possible for velvet to show until 7 weeks later?
If I do 4TTM every 36 hours when I first recieve the fish would the 4 36hours TTM works?? I ask becuase I do not know why last time it showed until 7 weeks after I recieved the fish?
I am not sure if the trophonts were dormant for such a long time life cycle was not active and it was just until fish were 7 weeks in my water with no meds that I would be able to use TTM for velvet??
please tell me what you think

Thanks a lot

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how was it possible for velvet to show until 7 weeks later?

In rare cases, fish can develop temporary resistance/immunity to velvet. This can occur if:
  1. Free swimmers are being filtered out of the water by a diatom or UV filter, affording the fish the benefit of a light infestation.
  2. An herbal remedy is being used which thickens the fish's slime coat and/or boosts immunity. (High nutrition can boost immunity as well.)
  3. The fish has had previous encounters with Amyloodinium in the wild (or even in captivity), but at sublethal concentrations. This allows the fish's immune system to become "acquainted" with the parasite and be better prepared to fight it down the road.
Developing resistance/immunity is nature's way of enabling fish to combat parasites in the wild, where it is likely to only encounter them in low concentrations. However, in an unnatural closed environment the parasites usually win the numbers game and eventually overwhelm most fish (there are always exceptions).

If I do 4TTM every 36 hours when I first recieve the fish would the 4 36hours TTM works?? I ask becuase I do not know why last time it showed until 7 weeks after I recieved the fish?

Using TTM to treat velvet is still just theoretical. To test, here is how I would implement it:

Day 1 - fish in tank
Day 2 - 1st transfer at 36 hours
Day 4 - 2nd transfer at 36 hours
Day 5 - 3rd transfer at 36 hours
Day 7 - 4th transfer at 36 hours
Day 10 - 5th transfer at 71 hours
Day 13 - 6th transfer at 71 hours

That protocol should eliminate both ich & velvet.

I am not sure if the trophonts were dormant for such a long time life cycle was not active and it was just until fish were 7 weeks in my water with no meds that I would be able to use TTM for velvet??

In order for parasites to go dormant, there must be a causative such as low water temperature.

sensei

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In rare cases, fish can develop temporary resistance/immunity to velvet. This can occur if:
  1. Free swimmers are being filtered out of the water by a diatom or UV filter, affording the fish the benefit of a light infestation.
  2. An herbal remedy is being used which thickens the fish's slime coat and/or boosts immunity. (High nutrition can boost immunity as well.)
  3. The fish has had previous encounters with Amyloodinium in the wild (or even in captivity), but at sublethal concentrations. This allows the fish's immune system to become "acquainted" with the parasite and be better prepared to fight it down the road.
Developing resistance/immunity is nature's way of enabling fish to combat parasites in the wild, where it is likely to only encounter them in low concentrations. However, in an unnatural closed environment the parasites usually win the numbers game and eventually overwhelm most fish (there are always exceptions).

Using TTM to treat velvet is still just theoretical. To test, here is how I would implement it:

Day 1 - fish in tank
Day 2 - 1st transfer at 36 hours
Day 4 - 2nd transfer at 36 hours
Day 5 - 3rd transfer at 36 hours
Day 7 - 4th transfer at 36 hours
Day 10 - 5th transfer at 71 hours
Day 13 - 6th transfer at 71 hours

That protocol should eliminate both ich & velvet.

In order for parasites to go dormant, there must be a causative such as low water temperature.

I was thinking that the parasite could be dormant becuase of the low copper concentration in water from the fish stores.
I can not explain why it took 7 weeks for fish to die if they were never treated for velvet and the only thing I can think is that the parasite was dormant, but if that is the case would the parasite still form trophonds the 7 weeks before fish started to die??
or can it be that fish started to die until the concetration of the parasite was high enough, and it took 7 weeks after I recieved them??
please help me make sense of what happened.

Lets suppose that you do the TTM a couple of hours before 36hours. would I have to do an extra TTM to be sure velvet is gone?

you say that using TTM for velvet is just theoretical. have you ever tested this method to get rid of velvet in a fish that you identified with velvet?

another question:
If I use CP as preventive for velvet, do I have to do the full 30 days at 40mg /g?
what happens if I do just 1 week and supposing fish has velvet, but has not shown jet. would 1 week be able to treat and cure it??
I ask becuase at this stage velvet should be in low concetration in the fish??

Thanks a lot

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back