Tank Transfer Method

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing that confuses me about ttm is that you won't really have any nitrifing bacteria in the tank? If you are sterilizing everything after each transfer no real time to get a cycled tank?
With TTM the hope is that a fish isn't in any single tank long enough to develop dangerous levels ammonia. If you do have a higher bioload when doing TTM and do have an issue with ammonia it is safe to use something like Prime to bind it and protect the fish. You can also seed 5 sponges in your sump and use sponge filters during TTM and throw the old sponge away after every transfer.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's as long as the tank they are seeded in doesn't have anything bad in it ;Nailbiting
Good call. You should only seed sponges in a sump for use in a QT system if the DT isn't fallow and if it is the system your fish will end up in.

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing that confuses me about ttm is that you won't really have any nitrifing bacteria in the tank? If you are sterilizing everything after each transfer no real time to get a cycled tank?
The tank don't need to be cycle because your changing 100% water every three days of the ammonia does raise you dose prime.

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks I will get prime just in case. I want to get wrasses and I seem to kill them with coppersafe so want to try ttm.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks I will get prime just in case. I want to get wrasses and I seem to kill them with coppersafe so want to try ttm.
Just remember that TTM doesn't stop velvet.

twreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Right, but they are only in each transfer tank up to 72 hours, so not long enough to get ammonia build up (unless you are TTM'ing a lot of fish together). You can also use cycled water from a DT if worried about that, but not sure much of that bacteria lives in the water column.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what? what is the point if it doesnt stop velvet. I thought the entire reason for it was to kill ich and velvet.........
TTM was developed at a time when Velvet was very rare. The Velvet life cycle is too fast based on the typical TTM recommendations. Since Amyloodinium Ocellatum does have a known life cycle a method of TTM can work but it requires more transfers more often than using TTM for Ich. Someone put together a posting showing how to make TTM work for velvet and I'll see if I can find it and link it.

For more and more reasons the only method of QT I am recommending is treating in copper or CP for 14 days and transfer to a clean tank. I will help people with the other methods but I won't necessarily recommend them.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Maggie321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TTM was developed at a time when Velvet was very rare. The Velvet life cycle is too fast based on the typical TTM recommendations. Since Amyloodinium Ocellatum does have a known life cycle a method of TTM can work but it requires more transfers more often than using TTM for Ich. Someone put together a posting showing how to make TTM work for velvet and I'll see if I can find it and link it.

For more and more reasons the only method of QT I am recommending is treating in copper or CP for 14 days and transfer to a clean tank. I will help people with the other methods but I won't necessarily recommend them.

This version of TTM was developed for marine ich, NOT VELVET. This system works. Don't deter people from using it for it's inted puropse.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This version of TTM was developed for marine ich, NOT VELVET. This system works. Don't deter people from using it for it's inted puropse.
I agree that it works well for eradicating marine ich. My personal opinion is that it is not effective for use as a general QT practice on new fish.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be done with 2 containers, you just have to be very careful with cleaning and sanitation since you won't have much dry time.

I think we had further conversations on this and came to the conclusion that 7 total transfers, 48 hours apart would be needed.

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be done with 2 containers, you just have to be very careful with cleaning and sanitation since you won't have much dry time.

I think we had further conversations on this and came to the conclusion that 7 total transfers, 48 hours apart would be needed.
thanks I could probably use a few 5 gallon containers

LeonThePeon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with TTM for the first time: All 7 fishes made it through a relatively extended TTM that started on 9/27 and ended around 10/18 (had to start over after the 2nd transfer). They're still in the QT tank and waiting on DT fallow till Dec 5. One flame angel didn't make it though (not sure why - just died yesterday).

Not having cycled water and having to deal with ammonia... well, I'd have to deal with it whether TTM or chemicals (i.e. copper) anyways. Was nice not having to also worry about Cu levels while doing it all. Just seems stressful for the fish when I have to get them into the next tank.

I'm thinking of replacing the flame angel and would do the TTM over again - but cleaning and drying 10G tanks is a PITA. I come across 5G buckets all the time for work, and thinking of using them instead (and just toss the buckets when done).

1) How much water in a 5G bucket would I need to accommodate a small 2" flame angel (or any small fish - for future reference)?

2) After putting it through the paces of TTM - can I put it in the QT tank with the others for the remaining 2 weeks or so for the DT tank to finish the fallow? Or am I risking recontaminating the other 6 fishes?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) How much water in a 5G bucket would I need to accommodate a small 2" flame angel (or any small fish - for future reference)?

I personally wouldn't QT a dwarf angel in just a 5 gal bucket. They need more swimming space than that... a 10 gal would be better. I would only use a 5 gal bucket for TTM on firefish, grammas, blennies, small gobies... little guys that do OK remaining in a confined space.

2) After putting it through the paces of TTM - can I put it in the QT tank with the others for the remaining 2 weeks or so for the DT tank to finish the fallow? Or am I risking recontaminating the other 6 fishes?

TTM only treats ich. So, if the Flame Angel had velvet, flukes, etc. he would cross contaminate your other fish.

LeonThePeon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Humblefish!

Switching gears - not sure if this was addressed on practical use of TTM somewhere in the thread - I'm trying to think ahead on stocking my new 12' office build and, correct me if I'm wrong on my thought, was thinking of 1) how to introduce the different fishes and try to promote a "peaceful" introduction; 2) but maintain the TTM procedures and adequate QT/observation time.

I was thinking of doing TTM in small batches/tanks for the time necessary; then when done - introduce them into a 40G breeder tank for observation. That should be sufficient for them to get to know each other during QT time? Or should they be all together during TTM?

Should I aim for introducing my stock (everybody from calm to aggressive) into the DT at the same time so they can all have equal chance to figure out their territories? Or should I stick to introducing calm/least aggressive first and work my way towards more aggressive (which would tank more time - more than 1 month for each group as I don't think work would like me having 5 or 6 40G breeder tanks for QT)?

Thanks in advance! (Trying to figure out how many tanks I need to get during the $1/gallon tank sale that ends soon) :p

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of doing TTM in small batches/tanks for the time necessary; then when done - introduce them into a 40G breeder tank for observation. That should be sufficient for them to get to know each other during QT time? Or should they be all together during TTM?

Should I aim for introducing my stock (everybody from calm to aggressive) into the DT at the same time so they can all have equal chance to figure out their territories? Or should I stick to introducing calm/least aggressive first and work my way towards more aggressive (which would tank more time - more than 1 month for each group as I don't think work would like me having 5 or 6 40G breeder tanks for QT)?

Placing them in a 40 breeder for observation is more to look for signs of disease which TTM does not address: velvet, bacterial infections, etc.

Your fishes personalities will likely change/evolve once they get settled into the DT. Oftentimes aggressive fish calm down (being in a larger tank), and sometimes fish who were passive in QT become more dominant in the DT as they grow in size/mature.

I would stock your tank least to most aggressive, so all the meanies go in last. :p

Back