Tank turn over, with a twist.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all.

New to reefing and maybe this is an old subject and no I did not search it out my bad.

Any way have new equipment and wondering what results you all get for actual tank turnover or flow.

My set up is a 150G glass with a Triton 44 sump, Apex and FMM, and a Reef Octo Varios 8.
2700GPH rating. (No I did not expect to that kind of flow)
Total water volume calculated as best possible will be 120 to 130 gal all inclusive when operational.

Using the FS-100 one inch flow meter it showed a average of 790 to 810 GPH.

From top of pump to return outlet height is 57 inches.
total length of 1 inch run 64 inches
Run included the following fittings, 3 X 45, 2 X 90 and the FS-100.

I knew I would not see the rated 2700 GPH but was shocked to see it at 800 +/-

So am scrapping the 1 inch and starting over with a 1-1/4 run or larger throughout.
This will include the following.
The Apex FS-200 2 inch flow meter
A spears 2 inch ball check valve.
2 1-1/4 45
2 1-1/4 90
total length will be determined when completed.
Height however will be 62 inches as I am going over the top of the tank now.
I will post the results when I get everything completed.

So what's your story?
Would love to see real world results posted.

OP
OP
K7BMG

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The twist part. Being facts not speculation.

OP
OP
K7BMG

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so my follow up.
Well got all my 1-1/4 parts and pieces in and put together.

Alas have some flow now, full run produces 1395 to 1410 GPH average.
Gained 600 GPH using the larger plumbing. I would gather that if I eliminated the ball check I would see a lot more flow.

Very little views so this thread I gather is of no interest.
Thanks though for those who looked

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most overflows/drains do not deal w/ a huge volume of flow, many of us shoot for about 5x turnover on a return pump, and you can check what your drain will actually handle using a drain size calculator.

Most of our flow in display comes from powerheads in tank, and that amount will vary depending on setups, typically at least 20x turnover and probably more like 30-40x turnover for most mixed reefs, much higher for sps dominant tanks, possibly 100x turnover on a BB system.

Maybe this helps you begin to get answers to your post.

OP
OP
K7BMG

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks davocean for the response.

Yes I think I am misinterpreting the terms used as well. My current understanding:

Tank turn over = how many times the water volume goes through the DT and sump (Filter etc.)
Flow turnover is that created by the powerheads in the DT only.

As I am going with the Triton method it recommends 10 times turnover per hour.
So as my system is 130 gallons I need to have a minimum of 1300 gph. tank turn over.
At best my one inch return line only produced 800gph So I scrapped the one inch and upsized to the 1-1/4 return line.

I have two full 1.5 inch drains and if wide open, should easily produce over 2K gph per line under full syphon. (Using a basic drain calculator anyway.)
I am only using (need) one syphon drain currently, and the gate valve is maybe opened up to 3/4's.
If I run it wide open my pump can't keep up and my syphon breaks, so yes my drain is no concern.

So the way I have the system set up now I am at the speck of 10 times tank turn over. according to the Apex that is.
(Through Sump and Display Tank) My problem is solved.

I have two MaxSpect Gyre FS-280's for internal tank flow, when it comes time for that.
Right now I just have plane RO/DI water running to get everything dialed in.
Hopefully in the next week or two I will be able to fill with salt water and start the four month cycle process.

But my question still stands as to who out there has actual results of real gph on their systems?

To me this information (Real world results) will help the new guy set things up right the first time.
Thanks

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I've run a lot of pumps over the years. I purchased a RO 4 about 6 months ago.

It's been reliable so far, but I've been less than happy with the output. For the watts I guess it's decent, but for the flow rating it pales compared to most other pumps I've run.

A month later I replaced my other return pump with a Sicce ADV 7.0 and it's a beast.

Conor_K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is interesting. I have the same pump on a 120.

Little over 4ft vertical head

3 x 45s
2x 90’s
1x ball valve (wide open)

1”

I have mine set at level 3 on the controller and I am not sure I won’t need to find a way to disperse flow once i start adding coral. It’s like a jet stream firing out of the return.

I don’t have a flow sensor, but I couldn’t put this on full blast if I wanted to...

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The varios and vectras so best at native output size of 1.25” ( at least the varios is 1.25” out) as you’ve concluded. Some of us are relegated to 1”, out to match return plumbing as such with Red Sea.

If I upgrade I’ll be running 1.25” returns in a bigger tank using the v8.

OP
OP
K7BMG

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is interesting. I have the same pump on a 120.

Little over 4ft vertical head

3 x 45s
2x 90’s
1x ball valve (wide open)

1”

I have mine set at level 3 on the controller and I am not sure I won’t need to find a way to disperse flow once i start adding coral. It’s like a jet stream firing out of the return.

I don’t have a flow sensor, but I couldn’t put this on full blast if I wanted to...

I have two new Varios 8's (one for a back up.) I tried both pumps and the flow was the same, so I am fairly confident that the pumps are solid. I honestly feel the main flow restriction was the Apex FS-100 flow meter.

I am learning but a few things I think I remember from my schooling years, there is a difference in pressure VS flow or GPH.
For my system my goal is GPH, so that's why I opted to install a flow meter, so I know what that is.
I do have a solid current in the DT but I don't see that its to much, I will see what happens when its time for livestock however.
I have less blasting than my LFS reef tanks have, but I have the flow to meet the requirement for the Triton system I am installing.

Thanks everyone for the input

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an SCA 150 which has internal centered overflow with a Jaebo 8000(2100gph) return pump with 1" pvc. If I turn my pump over 50% power, the sound of the water over the weir is too loud. I had to settle with 48% to have a balance of flow through my sump and quiet in my living room.

DEWreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dct 15,000,(3,962gph) 4 Jebao wp40(3400gph), 2 Jebao crossflow 55 (6,864gph) seaside 45 wave (3400gph) all pumps set to max power wave mode. 20,000 gph minimum
20181222_001200.jpg

Last edited:

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Triton method can recommend 10x turnover but what is the purpose of the turn over other then skimmer and fuge. If you are running 10x turn over and your skimmer cant keep up then the 10x is useless
Thanks davocean for the response.

Yes I think I am misinterpreting the terms used as well. My current understanding:

Tank turn over = how many times the water volume goes through the DT and sump (Filter etc.)
Flow turnover is that created by the powerheads in the DT only.

As I am going with the Triton method it recommends 10 times turnover per hour.
So as my system is 130 gallons I need to have a minimum of 1300 gph. tank turn over.
At best my one inch return line only produced 800gph So I scrapped the one inch and upsized to the 1-1/4 return line.

I have two full 1.5 inch drains and if wide open, should easily produce over 2K gph per line under full syphon. (Using a basic drain calculator anyway.)
I am only using (need) one syphon drain currently, and the gate valve is maybe opened up to 3/4's.
If I run it wide open my pump can't keep up and my syphon breaks, so yes my drain is no concern.

So the way I have the system set up now I am at the speck of 10 times tank turn over. according to the Apex that is.
(Through Sump and Display Tank) My problem is solved.

I have two MaxSpect Gyre FS-280's for internal tank flow, when it comes time for that.
Right now I just have plane RO/DI water running to get everything dialed in.
Hopefully in the next week or two I will be able to fill with salt water and start the four month cycle process.

But my question still stands as to who out there has actual results of real gph on their systems?

To me this information (Real world results) will help the new guy set things up right the first time.
Thanks

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The xf280 is crazy strong. How long is the tank? You might be fine with the 250. I use 2 230s on a 90/115 and 1 mp10

OP
OP
K7BMG

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EW_Fish
Yes this may be true, something I will have to find out.

Hemmdog my tank is 5 foot long.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back