Tank Update Poll: Help Me Choose!

Update the sump or get the Trident & A3 Apex controller.

• Total voters

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I've been waiting till this time of year to make some pricier purchases. I can't decided between a sump overhall or purchasing the Trident & A3 Apex controller.

My current setup is a 75G DT with a 25G DIY breeder sump. The sump already has a reef oct skimmer, GFO & carbon reactor and a jump dc return pump.

The sump update would include:
A plumed in UV filter.
A fleece roller.
Getting a better sump, which can also accommodate the new roller.
Getting a strong pump that can send RODI water & saltwater up from the basement.

Would love to hear some more ideas!! Thanks for the replies.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey all,

I've been waiting till this time of year to make some pricier purchases. I can't decided between a sump overhall or purchasing the Trident & A3 Apex controller.

My current setup is a 75G DT with a 25G DIY breeder sump. The sump already has a reef oct skimmer, GFO & carbon reactor and a jump dc return pump.

The sump update would include:
A plumed in UV filter.
A fleece roller.
Getting a better sump, which can also accommodate the new roller.
Getting a strong pump that can send RODI water & saltwater up from the basement.

Would love to hear some more ideas!! Thanks for the replies.
So - a couple questions? Is your sump in the basement now? I don't get the last part of your question - why are you sending RODI water up from the basement?

My answer - based on what you're asking - also depends on 'whats in your tank'. is it fish focused - or coral focused? Are you dosing anything now? How? Why do you think you need a UV?

But - in general I would say - a basement sump is very convenient, will give more room to move around, etc and you have more choices as to what you want to perhaps add in the future. That is probably what I would do - if you're planning on moving your sump from upstairs to downstairs.

IF you're out of town a lot, are dosing Ca/Alk/etc now, have finicky corals, etc - the Apex may be the better choice.

If it were me, I would buy an Apex, upgrade the sump, and skip the trident.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back