Tank Upgrade SPS issues

BigKid4788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hear a lot when people upgrade their tanks that in the move people seem to loose SPS. My question is why? I'm trying to figure out what I can do to reduce the amount of loss I may have. I have a dozen or so colonies that I have grown from frags that I really don't want to loose. My plan is to...

-Match salinity
-Match temp
-Match ALK
-Ensure tank is fully cycled before any transfer is done
-Dose nitrates (currently doing this) to ensure SPS have food source in the new tank

What else can I do that is not listed above. Any insight would be appreciated.
Thanks for your time!
Bigkid4788

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just insure all water parameters are the same, lighting and location of corals are roughly the same in the new tank. Should be good to go.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what worked for me in the past. Move all the corals fish and live rock to temporary storage containers with existing water from tank sump etc. Keep all the water you can. The corals do not have to have light on them so don't worry about that. Just good water movement and keep temp right. YOu can keep this way for 3-6 days. You will have no issue. Keep the top 1 inch layer of sand from aquarium and place in temp storage with enough water to put a maxijet in there to keep aerated. Discard the rest of the sand or thoroughly rinse till the water turns clear if you want to reause the other part of the sand.

Get new aquarium ready. Plumbing, sump, lights, etc. Fill about 2/3 new water and get parameters right and fill with washed sand/new live sand and then top off with the sand you saved. Stack rock and add corals. Add all your existing old water to top off tank and get going. Add your fish and your off to the races. This method works real well. Now if you have new live rock that isn't cured then you cant use this method. It will take several days, so don't be in a hurry. If you need more detail, let me know.

OP
OP
BigKid4788

BigKid4788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Currently curing rock so it will be cured by the time tank goes up. I will have both tanks running until new one is 100% ready for livestock. Going with another bare bottom tank

Coronus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Their will always be a slight issue when switching to a new tank. Its unavoidable IME. No mater what you do you are still dealing with a brand new tank. Sps need a mature tank to a degree and they like stability. That will be thrown off even when you match tank params. If it were lps, it would be different. Best case ime is to set up the new tank as best you can and for as long as you can before the transfer. The older the better. Use 75% or more of the old water.

Back