Tank upgrade

Sakudo4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm upgrading from a 60g to a 120g
Obviously I will be needing more water to fill it up and I plan to use most of my old water and of course my rocks, coral, and fish and new sand .
My only debate is I have to make water but I can't make it all at once and it is a slow process. My plan is to make some water in the next couple of days and store it in 5g jugs witch i have plenty of and hold it until I have enough to do the fill plus transfer everything hopefully in a one/two day event . I would love you suggestions and opinions on this matter please
TIA.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fill 15x 5-gallon food safe containers with RODI, seal and store until the day of the upgrade at which point do your salt mixing a few hours prior. I did it this way for a 200-gallon with 32x 5-gallon containers over the course of a few weeks.

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have a solid plan. I use a brute trash can to make saltwater and additional 5 gal jugs for storage. I also have a dedicated pump to transfer water from trash can to minimize unnecessary lifting.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can't wait to see this ;)
Happy Chris Pratt GIF

OP
OP
Sakudo4

Sakudo4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a little more expensive but have you thought of purchasing the saltwater from LFS? Don’t have to purchase extra stuff that you might not use again?

Last edited:

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Make all your water plus 20 gal just in case prior. Just get a brute or a bunch of buckets. Do you pre-mix it all in one large container before putting it into smaller containers?

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Make all your water plus 20 gal just in case prior. Just get a brute or a bunch of buckets. Do you pre-mix it all in one large container before putting it into smaller containers?
Sorry , just read you have trash cans. I would personally mix extra and bring the containers of water to the interior close to the tank. The ambient temp of the room should be within 5-10 degrees of 79 degrees. Keep you from doing extra with heaters. Good luck , I did a 50 gal to 100 gal transfer years ago. Everything lived. You have to move fast, don’t scratch the new tank!!! Be careful!

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rubbermaid is a good idea. If your LFS sells water it may be worth it to just buy from them as a one time thing. You could buy a rubbermaid and store RO in it or just make a couple of trips with the 5 gallon jugs for saltwater.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As somebody who has been through a few tank swaps and moved many times across the country the Rubbermaid livestock tanks are invaluable to me. You can store your water in it with a heater a few days before, which gives you a large place to place your rock, corals, and fish during the transfer. You can even add power heads no problem if something god forbid goes wrong. Go with a larger size than your upgraded tank size, I have always been able to resell them right after for a 20 dollar loss or if you really wanted to you can return them-

I will be using the 300 gallon one for the day of my tank swap over to the new build for the exact reasons I gave.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sakudo4

Sakudo4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a little more expensive but have you thought of purchasing the saltwater from LFS? Don’t have to purchase extra stuff that you might not use again?
I have a lot of salt handy plus I would not trust most lfs for water ,
I have xtra 5 gallon jugs plus a 20g and 32g brute can also

OP
OP
Sakudo4

Sakudo4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry , just read you have trash cans. I would personally mix extra and bring the containers of water to the interior close to the tank. The ambient temp of the room should be within 5-10 degrees of 79 degrees. Keep you from doing extra with heaters. Good luck , I did a 50 gal to 100 gal transfer years ago. Everything lived. You have to move fast, don’t scratch the new tank!!! Be careful!
Yeah I live in socal and the temp. Is awesome right now don't even need any heaters at the moment

Back