Tap water

Brooks Ross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi everyone,

I really don’t want to invest in a RODI kit for adding new water.

Any suggestions on solutions that work with tap water ?

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are goin to do any sort of reef, you need to use Ro/Di water. whether you buy it from the local store or you make it yourself, this is essential. 100%. without it, you are introducing other organics into your tank that will plague you.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi everyone,

I really don’t want to invest in a RODI kit for adding new water.

Any suggestions on solutions that work with tap water ?
I strongly suggest you either invest in an RO/DI unit or purchase some from a LFS. There are things you can do to tap water to make it chlorine and ammonia safe, but you're going to get copper and other heavy metals in there that are going to harm and kill your corals and inverts. And tap water generally has high TDS so you're going to get all kinds of pest algae that is going to get out of hand fast.

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

DeepBlueSomething

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several others have commented in other threads -- but having a Brut trashcan for RODI and one for mixing is also great - still deals available via Amazon

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on that deal. I went a while in an apartment just buying DI water from wal-mart, but that ended up costing a lot more in the long run (I think it was around 70 cents/gal). You don't realize how much water you use until you are checking out every week with 20 gallons of water in your cart.

BigMulliATX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An RODI system is the best thing for your reef but if that is out of the question and you don't want to drive to a fish store any water filter place at gas stations or heb or Walmart place like that you can get RO water which is filtered drinking water. You may add stuff to you aquarium you just need to know the risks. You are at the mercy of who maintains that equipment. I used a glacier water station for years before I got my own rodi system

jahnje

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is RODI water drinkable / good for you ?

Many people run a second line from their RO/Di into their fridge. It's not bad for you, but it is missing the salts, minerals, and electrolytes that are in typical tap water. That's what make up a lot of the TDS. Typical carbon filter in a fridge just removes a lot of the organics.

moseley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people run a second line from their RO/Di into their fridge. It's not bad for you, but it is missing the salts, minerals, and electrolytes that are in typical tap water. That's what make up a lot of the TDS. Typical carbon filter in a fridge just removes a lot of the organics.
The DI resin is not NSF rated so I added a line from my system prior to the Di filter for coffee water. Best coffee ever. The water is great for drinking too. You get enough of the nutrients from cooking and other sources according to my Dr.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The concern with drinking RO/DI is that bacteria can grow in it, especially between the RO and the DI, since the disinfectant has been removed by the carbon block. If you use it for drinking, it should be frequently sanitized.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drilled a hole in a 5g bucket at the bottom that would fit the guts from the 6 cup Zerowater pitcher. Sealed it. Waited a week. Twist on the filter. .000TDS (for about 40-50g.) Then roll the slim Rubbermaid 27g trash bin over to the tap. Slide the filter bucket in. Filter out 10g. Use prime and reef crystals. Roll it back over to the tank area. Heat it and mix for 24hrs. Done.

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just watched a video on algae and the person said that using tap water not only will give you algae problems but phosphate problems down the road too. Go rodi you’ll be thankful. First purchase I made

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s what using tap water treated only with Prime can do. Give you a nice case of Golden Algae filled with Phosphate and Silicates. This is 6 months of using tap water.

90190845-9040-44E2-A056-6A216C4F005A.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back