Tapping noise coming from return pump?

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reef octos varios 4 return pump. It has been working without a problem for the past month and a half. But yesterday i started hearing some tapping noise, like not too loud, but noticeable tapping noise coming from that area where my return pump is. And I’m pretty certain it’s from the pump, I’ve checked around the entire sump for loose things and nothing is there.
I have it hard plumbed into my Red Sea 170. I am not sure what is making the noise, has anyone had something like this happen to them before? The noise is not a constant noise, but it happens randomly and is inconsistent. Could there be a snail in the hard plumbing or something? I have seen one snail hanging inside my return nozzle but I pulled it out, this was a week ago. Would they actually go all the way down to the return pump?
if anyone has any ideas as to what it could be I appreciate it. Should I be worried? Here’s a pic of how my tank is plumbed

549B8463-FD3F-4A02-922F-004F596A0EF5.jpeg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like something is in there catching the blades once in a while. I would take it out and clean it

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back