Taxes & Hobbies (Reefing)

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Joined
Dec 5, 2009
Messages
2,873
Reaction score
343
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for the first time I'm itemizing my taxes and I noticed there is a section to itemize your "hobbies". As far as I can tell reefing is considered a "hobby" as I'm not making an income off it and I should be able to deduct what I've spent for the year. Am I missing something here? This just doesn't seem, well, possible. Any tax experts out there?
 
Can only deduct to the amount you made is my understanding. Me personally don't deduct to much or could be red flag for IRS to look at your deductions closer
 
Thanks for the article, I didn't come across that one in my search! I think you're right based on what I'm reading, can only deduct up to the amount you made.
 
If you are selling alot of corals might look at starting it as a business then you can write stuff off. Ie renting to your self and electricity from what i was told
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 3 4.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.9%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 28.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 6.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new