TBS sand???

RBarth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changing out my sand and thinking of using TBS sand for something different. Tank is 3 years old and rock is established but want a new look. Any issues/cons ie pests with using TBS sand? Thanks!

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changing out my sand and thinking of using TBS sand for something different. Tank is 3 years old and rock is established but want a new look. Any issues/cons ie pests with using TBS sand? Thanks!
I gave mine a sift before adding to the tank. I suppose would depend on how much you are getting and your patience level. I pulled out a number of worms and one isopod, which I now am pretty sure was a spheromatid isopod (harmless). Worms were also harmless, but I pulled them out in any case. Got a bunch of lancelets, which aren't worms but look like them and are quite freaky--they don't survive in an aquarium in any case.

If I were to do it again, I would mix TBS sand with special grade aragonite sand 1:1, as the TBS sand is a bit grittier and the finer sand would soften it a bit.

OP
OP
RBarth

RBarth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha! Yeah those are the exact things I'm worried about. Kinda nervous to put something in the tank that could potentially disrupt what I currently have just to achieve a different style. Do you still like the look of it? Thanks again!!!!

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha! Yeah those are the exact things I'm worried about. Kinda nervous to put something in the tank that could potentially disrupt what I currently have just to achieve a different style. Do you still like the look of it? Thanks again!!!!
I think it looks fine. I only would add the softer sand since I have sand-sleeping wrasses that might appreciate the finer grain of the special grade sand.

RE: pests, I don't lose sleep over it. I'm glad I sifted, but there was nothing I took out that I'd really care about finding in the tank. If I found cirolanid isopods, I'd be more worried. Should be easy to sift out bigger things like small crabs or fireworms (although I've never read anyone having them from TBS sand).

OP
OP
RBarth

RBarth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to ask u: was this used to start a new tank or established? Wondering if it went thru all the diatom/algae bloom stages.

Cycleguy0623

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used about 40 lbs of TB Sand when I upgraded tanks mixed with 40lbs of ocean direct. I am very happy with the results! I had quite a few nice looking shells in the box that added a nice natural look to the tank.

The only thing I have is the aptasia I moved over from the smaller tank that I still don’t like lol

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to ask u: was this used to start a new tank or established? Wondering if it went thru all the diatom/algae bloom stages.
For me, new tank. Never saw diatoms, never had a GHA problem. Had a bit of isolated bryopsis (presumed) in the sand--no idea if from TBS or frags--that I was able to get out without difficulty. Only issue I've had is with bubble algae, which seems to care less if you've got mature ocean rocks/sand or not.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back