Teach me the basics

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
What are some basic tips you would teach a new wannabe hobbyist. I’m trying to learn but think need to brush up on my basics. I have a 200 gallon tank with sump. I’ll take any and all tips, sump filtration, basic tank maintenance, what filters to use HOW to use them. How to run an healthy FWLR tank. Imagine teaching a 10 year old and then me! I lost one of my loved fish yesterday and I’m both sad and ticked on myself. I need to learn more, otherwise I’m this close to stopping my hobby and putting up all my equipment for sale. I need help guys, I’ll take anything and everything you have. Thank you guys, I really appreciate you all.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, the best and easiest way to get the questions you have answered is to watch BRS tv you tube channel. They have a series showing you every thing you need to know to get a basic understanding of reefing.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey everyone,
What are some basic tips you would teach a new wannabe hobbyist. I’m trying to learn but think need to brush up on my basics. I have a 200 gallon tank with sump. I’ll take any and all tips, sump filtration, basic tank maintenance, what filters to use HOW to use them. How to run an healthy FWLR tank. Imagine teaching a 10 year old and then me! I lost one of my loved fish yesterday and I’m both sad and ticked on myself. I need to learn more, otherwise I’m this close to stopping my hobby and putting up all my equipment for sale. I need help guys, I’ll take anything and everything you have. Thank you guys, I really appreciate you all.
Buy the best equipment possible, and best test kits such as Hanna or salifert brand.
What is your maintenance schedule (water changes, water testing)?
Is this tank a fish only or reef with fish ?
Any pics of tank under white lighting you can post ?
What is current ammonia-nitrate-ph-salinity and water temp ?

OneZenReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, the best and easiest way to get the questions you have answered is to watch BRS tv you tube channel. They have a series showing you every thing you need to know to get a basic understanding of reefing.
Yes, I have literally been watching them for like the last eight months hahahah

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
There's a whole forum for new reefers -- I suggest you start with the sticky posts there.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you be a bit more specific on what you’re wanting to learn?

For example, you asked about filtration and maintenance - do you want to know more for the mechanical/equipment side, or are you asking to help keep nutrient levels in check?

Similarly, you mentioned that you lost a fish - do you know why you lost it? (I.e. was it disease, aggression, malnutrition, jumping, etc.?)

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before watching BRS 52 weeks of reefing or whatever else you're going to do to learn the basics you should make sure you have the right mindset for this hobby. By this I mean you have to be a really patient person and also not the type to make large drastic changes when you see something go wrong. This is especially true if you one day plan to keep SPS. You're going to get disappointed and frustrated really quick if you don't have any patience. I'm not trying to turn you away from the hobby, I'm just being realistic. I've been in the hobby for over 5 years and there are still times when I tend to try to rush things.

OneZenReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before watching BRS 52 weeks of reefing or whatever else you're going to do to learn the basics you should make sure you have the right mindset for this hobby. By this I mean you have to be a really patient person and also not the type to make large drastic changes when you see something go wrong. This is especially true if you one day plan to keep SPS. You're going to get disappointed and frustrated really quick if you don't have any patience. I'm not trying to turn you away from the hobby, I'm just being realistic. I've been in the hobby for over 5 years and there are still times when I tend to try to rush things.
I absolutely agree with this one. I have been researching for years and I'm sure I'm still going to make mistakes.

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best advice I can give to someone just starting out is this; This Hobby is not a Cookie Cutter type, what works for me, may or may not work for you, every tank is different and will react to changes differently. The single most important thing you can do is PAY ATTENTION TO WHATS HAPPENING INSIDE YOUR TANK!!! Testing water is great, but IMO water tests come second to Observing your Reef!

This Hobby is very scientific in nature, so certain rules apply!
Science is GOOD OBSERVATION coupled with Experience to make good decisions!
Experience comes from making Bad Decisions!!

Happy Reefing!

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One. Cycle your rock for your tank and sump. Put a shrimp in the water let it rot. Put it in a fine mesh so you can remove it.
When you have nitrates and no nitrite or ammonia. Add fish 2 at a time. If you want to get it done faster bottled bacteria does work.
Two. Get a medium sized algea turf scubber. This is all you need. You can run a fuge with a skimmer if you want. But in my opinion ats is the best.
Three. Keep it stable!!! Salinity, nitrates, calcium,magnesium, Alkalinity.
Four. Set your lights and forget about them do not change them all the time
Five. 20% water change every two weeks.
That's just my opinion!

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
Reading a book on keeping an aquarium is number 1. Watching a video works better for some but you should then read a book. Joining a reef club and finding a mentor is also another way to learn. A forum is not a good place for a general education, but an excellent place to obtain answers to specific questions.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched a few of there beginning episodes until epi 13 I think. But I was hoping to get what brands and equipment people here use like filters, maintence etc. Like they’re every day to day tips. But I will also start watching more of those. You can never watch enough I guess.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy the best equipment possible, and best test kits such as Hanna or salifert brand.
What is your maintenance schedule (water changes, water testing)?
Is this tank a fish only or reef with fish ?
Any pics of tank under white lighting you can post ?
What is current ammonia-nitrate-ph-salinity and water temp ?
Fish only tank. I will definitely look into the test kits or try to find a LFS who has Hannah testers. I typically do a 45-50 gallon WC once a month on my 200 gallon tank. Will be doing a WC in a couple days and then want to try a daily 2 gallon WC like you mentioned before, maybe that will help better? Also thinking of getting a UV to help with clear water and cleaner tank with the algae sticking to the floor and glass. I will update with a current ammonia, ph, salinity after I do my WC tomorrow.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend doing a build thread. Ask questions at each stage. 52 weeks of reefing or the truncated version is very helpful as well.
I already have my tank running I didn’t know of this site when I got my tank. Can I still do a build thread?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back