Temperature work in reverse with macros help

Wolfw28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I struggle with keeping my tank cool. I use temp sensor and temperature control on reef-to turn on a couple fans when temperature get to hot and have another temperature controller set using same sensor to turn on a red led to give me a visual warning my tank is over heating. Because temperature control only gives you the option of turn thing on at set temperature I have to go in a turn off 2 power heads and my UV light manual to reduce the heat intruded in tank then when it cools down I turn them back on. So came home today red led on tank almost 79 so I thought I would set up a new temperature control using chiller and macro instead of equipment. Wrote a basic macro turning off UV light and each powerhead and turning on the red LED. Ran the macro and it worked fine turned off the UV and powerheads turn on the LED so I also selected reversible verified that it reversed and turned the UV on and powerheads and turned off the LED all set right. So I went to temperature using the one I had turning on the LED and switched it from equipment to macro and pointed it to the macro that I created. Nothing happened temperature was above set temperature and no light no equipment off. Did it reset same thing did it reboot same thing so after playing around with it for about an hour I decided I don’t know why to move the macro to the Heater part of the temperature control what’s the temperature with it at 76 .Now my macro works temperature is above 78° UV light And powerheads turn off red LED turns on along with my fans because it’s over temp. When the temperature dropped to the desired temperature my fans turned off like they should. UV turns on pumps turn on LED turns off. So why is a macro working in the heater setting of temperature and not the chiller setting of temperature it’s working backwards that’s one of the problems I’ve been having with trying to get macros to work can somebody please explain this to me am I doing something wrong or is it a glitch in the programming. The big thing is it’s working now like that should I trust it to continue working that way.

the register

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not completely sure I understand what occurred in your setup, but coincidentally I was just doing a similar setup myself and I also don't understand how macros + temperatures work.

In my setup, eventually I'm going to want a very similar setup as you. Equipment:

* Heater on a kasa plug
* Fan on a kasa plug
* DC fan on DC3, setup as equipment
* UV sterilizer on a kasa plug

When the tank gets cold, I want the heater on. When the tank gets hot, I want the fans on and the UV off.

My expectation was I'd do that by having two separate macros. One called "Heat up" which flips on the heater, and is reversible. Another called "Cool down" which flips on the fans and turns off my UV, and is reversible. I'd then connect heater to heat up and chiller to cool down.

However I'm seeing when I do that, if my tank temp is between the heat and cool settings, it's as if it's running both my macros. It flips all that fans and heater on.

@Ranjib can you clarify what the expected way to use macros with temperatures is? Is something broken or are we misunderstanding how this is meant to be used?

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Wolfw28 theres whole lot in this for me to unpack in one go :-( . can you break it down. I would recommend trying multiple temperature controller with the individual equipment to start with since the macro setups are not doing exactly what you want.
@the register that is not expected , if the temperature is within range (+/- hysteresis), then reef-pi should not turn on any of the target. We'll need some details including macro definitions and hysteresis value. But lets not do that in this thread, start a new one and tag me in.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back