Ten Gallon Nano

Wonderboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This journal is to document progress/specimen on a nano system that I just started up last night; It is a 10 G display with HOB filter and overhead refugium.
This setup will most likely handle over-stock or grow-outs from/for other systems alongside a handful of permanent residents.

IMG_1650.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wonderboy

Wonderboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward for some updates. What stocking plans do you have?

Thanks, me too lol - I don't really have much planned except for a pistol shrimp and goby because I really miss witnessing that relationship. I think a fire shrimp would be hard to say no to, also. I have a few other ideas, but ready for the circumstantial.

OP
OP
Wonderboy

Wonderboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shot inside of the refugium -

Left to right: container of coarse sand and rubble w/perforated base, chaeto in a plastic orchid pot, and a container of mud w/perforated base:

IMG_1674.jpg

Yes, the supply line is far from the most practical way to have plumbed it; just don't look at it too much. Since you're looking, no, the zip-tie is not permanent, it scares me, too.

Also, after taking some time to play with bubbles, the first overflow standpipe is now partially restricted with a slotted piece of tubing and a frag plug; this has really cut down the air injection that was occurring in the display (almost 100%). Also, even with that additional restriction, the water still isn't going into the second standpipe yet, like in a normal herbie setup; however, all of the water is draining super nice and quiet through just the first, and so now the second can act as an emergency overflow.

OP
OP
Wonderboy

Wonderboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HOB intake was getting clogged every other day - here's the upgrade I went with:
IMG_1685.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wonderboy

Wonderboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a dragon face pipefish as the first fish; a week after, a ruby dragonette from QT because she ran out of pods and dosing phyto wasn't doing it. Had a bunch laying around, so I added more rock to support more micro fauna... and frags. Also added 2 Randall's pistol shrimps. Also moved a handful of frags over from QT because I needed to QT not-reef-safe fish. Here's images of some of the changes:
IMG_1855.JPG

IMG_1851.JPG

IMG_1857.JPG

IMG_1858.JPG

IMG_1859.JPG

IMG_1860.JPG

Sorry bout the blue da ba dee da ba daa.

OP
OP
Wonderboy

Wonderboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have been wanting to quickly document how approx every-other-day manual top-offs will be done for this tank:

FullSizeR.jpg

FullSizeR(1).jpg

Nanno and iso right now; still deciding on a third species - the clear one is also iso at this point in time. I'll use RODI if a culture can't sustain dilution every once in a while.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wonderboy

Wonderboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates:

New DT LED (2x blue, 2x white, 1x red) - been running for a few months

New LED light for additional refugium in HOB (on 1hr prior to DT light, off 1hr after DT light) - been running for a few weeks

A few quick shots:

image4.jpeg
image1(1).jpeg
image5.jpeg
image8.jpeg
image7.jpeg

OP
OP
Wonderboy

Wonderboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still haven't been able to finish the volume expansion - waiting to get certain plumbing stuff...

IMG_2836.jpg

I just leave it :D this happens so often (almost every/if not every day) that I probably don't actually have to feed the system

Chaeto update:

IMG_2775.jpg

I turn it and stuff it back down in the orchid-pot every once in a while - those are moth wings btw. :)

I made more room for growing frags out instead of in here (yeah, I set up another system), so I have been thinning out the groupies/plugs in here; I've decided to put coral into permanent spots (for the most part) from this point on.

Resident update:

I have added an orange spot goby and a yellow watchman goby (seperate events). The orange spot paired with a pistol quickly; the watchman is small, but the second pistol's borrow's entrance is still smaller :rolleyes: he's doing good though, perching proudly everywhere, and eating lots.

Pipefish and dragonet are well - frequently out and about hunting pods.

Stomatella snails have been popping up all over, so I've been relocating my crew of trochus snails to another job site.

Next update will probably be photo heavy, as the extension will be up and running and I will be fragging and placing particulars back in here asap.

OP
OP
Wonderboy

Wonderboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The refugium and DT exchange waters using both HOBs (pump in one - overflow hole in the other). The pump in the DT HOB both moves water from DT and removes air (venturi) from the refugium HOB intake tube to ensure a syphon is active while it's pumping. There are emergencies in place; both HOBs can operate while off from a syphon; in which I should mention that the DT HOB turns off at night for flow reduction and the refugium HOB will be always off (excpet for emergencies - I plan to install a float switch to turn it on if the water rises too much - this will move water quickly back to DT as the drilled overflow in the HOB is under the tank's rim). There are anti-syphon holes in both HOB intakes at appropriate levels (in tanks) to prevent too much water from being moved into either tank in the event of line clogging. It is in the bedroom - it has been running with no sound

The over-head fuge went down to that lower tank (QT right now - intended as little coral fragging system - 20G [light mount temporary lol]).

IMG-1491.JPG

IMG-1492.JPG

IMG-1493 (2).JPG

IMG-1496 (1).JPG

Here's that entire area right now (almost all lights on for visibility):

IMG-1534.JPG

Since the over-head 'fuge came down, I plan to add a second light over the right side of the DT finally

Oh yeah - I added this 'hidden' light bar from Marineland (blue and white LEDs) a few weeks ago to try to get more light over to the other side (before the old 'fuge was moved). It has helped a bunch; it will be staying here even after I add the other e26 light.

IMG-1501.JPG

Also - the e26 bulb that was on this thing went over the 2.5G for a little and then to the .123G - the e26 bulb over the left side of this tank is now a 12W ABI Tuna Blue LED

The new 'fuge has four clear containers holding up a glass pane to provide a place to keep softies and other macros. Its overhead lights are not active yet (to run at daytime) - undertank light runs at night

IMG-1494 (1).JPG

IMG-1495 (1).JPG

Cup 1: rubble with perforated bottom
Cup 2: large particle sand bed and rubble with perforated bottom
Cup 3: mud with sponge and snorkle to allow the bottom to breathe
Cup 4: more mud sponge and snorkle

That larger shallow container on the glass has mud under coarse sediment - hoping to grow some rooting stuff there

Shots from DT:

IMG-1537.JPG

IMG-1535.JPG

IMG-1538.JPG

IMG-1539.JPG

IMG-1540.JPG

IMG-1541.JPG

IMG-1542.JPG

IMG-1543.JPG

IMG-1544.JPG

Thanks for checking up on what I'm up to :] IMG-1535.JPG IMG-1537.JPG

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 43 40.6%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 16 15.1%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.8%
Back