OP
OP
tenurepro

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got home today... things don’t look too bad. Lost a frag, and s couple of colonies seem unhappy but I seem to have dodged the worst.
Apex power bar still malfunctioning... can seem to get it to work again :( - working with company on a solution

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh what nightmare. I am terrified that something like this could happen when I am away and unfortunately I have no one who can watch the tank or intervene. Giving some thought to plugging the return pump and a redundant heater and the gyre into a simple outlet extension when I am away. Glad your system is recovering.

OP
OP
tenurepro

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh what nightmare. I am terrified that something like this could happen when I am away and unfortunately I have no one who can watch the tank or intervene. Giving some thought to plugging the return pump and a redundant heater and the gyre into a simple outlet extension when I am away. Glad your system is recovering.
Yes that is one of giving added redundancy but in my case, I had programmed some fancy fail stops using the apex to deal with other potential contingency... it’s a catch 22, a good controller allows you to remotely react to many problems, but it also
Creates opportunities for single points of failure... but I really feel that a power bar should be way more robust than this...
As an aside / try to find someone local on call as this was the difference maker for me.
You can always train them beforehand or make some videos on how to make changes to your system in case of an emergency

OP
OP
tenurepro

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick update 1) my bk skimmer pump failed so I got the new Redsea reefer rsk skimmer 300 . Will be doing an unboxing, 1st impressions and short term review video soon
DB139170-E748-41E3-8E44-E7730E6D1017.png

2) i’ve Always been curious about fancy
‘expensive’ salt... i’ve Been using the cheap regular instant ocean, but is the grass (& sps) greener on the other side? So i’v decided to run a bit of an experiment - I’ll be slowly changing the tank to tropic Marin salt reef pro ... curious if I will notice any benefits?
2A699B43-39B8-409E-8E6D-217B73B9CB9A.jpeg

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick update 1) my bk skimmer pump failed so I got the new Redsea reefer rsk skimmer 300 . Will be doing an unboxing, 1st impressions and short term review video soon
DB139170-E748-41E3-8E44-E7730E6D1017.png

2) i’ve Always been curious about fancy
‘expensive’ salt... i’ve Been using the cheap regular instant ocean, but is the grass (& sps) greener on the other side? So i’v decided to run a bit of an experiment - I’ll be slowly changing the tank to tropic Marin salt reef pro ... curious if I will notice any benefits?
2A699B43-39B8-409E-8E6D-217B73B9CB9A.jpeg

Cant wait to see that skimmer in action

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amro just quick wuestion when you post videos how come your lighting looks white? Do you have it like that all the time or is it when you are doing videos? Thansk

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@tenurepro if you're interested in a custom built 3D printed silencer made by @Butuz let me know. It's never been used and I'll make you a pretty good deal on it. From what Butuz says it really helps reduce noise levels.

OP
OP
tenurepro

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amro just quick wuestion when you post videos how come your lighting looks white? Do you have it like that all the time or is it when you are doing videos? Thansk
I set up A little button on my apex to switch the radions to 12k spectrum when I shoot videos. I #lovemyapex ... that it until it tries to kill my tank ;)
Here is a video on how I accomplish this simple feet of programming:)

OP
OP
tenurepro

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant wait to see that skimmer in action
So far, I am very impressed. Installed it on a Saturday night and it just went ahead and started skimming. Zero overflows so far and noise level is on par with the bk mini 160. I may keep it long term and keep the bk mini 160 as the backup.

OP
OP
tenurepro

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@tenurepro if you're interested in a custom built 3D printed silencer made by @Butuz let me know. It's never been used and I'll make you a pretty good deal on it. From what Butuz says it really helps reduce noise levels.
Thanks for the offer. Honestly, the skimmer is really unnoticeable. Will pm you

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi amro, can i ask i noticed on one of your videos where you defeat dino you have removed most of the sand and even now you have very little sand in places... can i ask why you did this? And will you be looking to add sand in future or just leaving it slightly bare bottom?

OP
OP
tenurepro

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi amro, can i ask i noticed on one of your videos where you defeat dino you have removed most of the sand and even now you have very little sand in places... can i ask why you did this? And will you be looking to add sand in future or just leaving it slightly bare bottom?
Yep - I removed almost all of the sand; I wasn’t sure if that was helpful or not but reasoned that because I almost always found them on the sand, that by removing the sand, I would be removing their favorite substrate. I did gradually add a bit of sand to help my sand sleeping wrasses. But I don’t want to add any more than what I currently have. I like the mix of bare bottom in some areas and sand in the one corner

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep - I removed almost all of the sand; I wasn’t sure if that was helpful or not but reasoned that because I almost always found them on the sand, that by removing the sand, I would be removing their favorite substrate. I did gradually add a bit of sand to help my sand sleeping wrasses. But I don’t want to add any more than what I currently have. I like the mix of bare bottom in some areas and sand in the one corner

I am thinking of the same thing.. i added uv steriliser dino went away but then came back even with uv.. so im just thinking to remove it too and also stop using any phosphate media started happening as soon as i started using that

OP
OP
tenurepro

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of the same thing.. i added uv steriliser dino went away but then came back even with uv.. so im just thinking to remove it too and also stop using any phosphate media started happening as soon as i started using that
Yeah, keep the uv but ditch the phosphate media. I also dosed phosphates to keep levels above 0.1 ppm during my battle (and have been maintaining these levels afterwords)
Good luck with the battle! Dinos are everywhere it seems like

Barrnone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know if youve mentioned this or not. Is your flow 2 mp10s and 2 gyres? What programming are you running on your gyres? I think a few pages back you went over mp10 programming.

I want to add more pumps to my reefer 250 to get more turbulent flow and potentially clear some dead spots. Currently running 2 xf230s on the sides. Seems like they blend in a little better on the backwall.

OP
OP
tenurepro

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know if youve mentioned this or not. Is your flow 2 mp10s and 2 gyres? What programming are you running on your gyres? I think a few pages back you went over mp10 programming.

I want to add more pumps to my reefer 250 to get more turbulent flow and potentially clear some dead spots. Currently running 2 xf230s on the sides. Seems like they blend in a little better on the backwall.
sorry for the late reply... ever since r2r stopped using tapatalk, i've been having a hard time keeping on top of the thread.
but here is a vid that i did on how i programmed the mp10s and gyres.
all the best!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 69 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back