TERMITES AND A TENT WHAT SHOULD I DO ???!!!

Francoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have termintes in my home and they are coming to inspect to most likely tent the house what should i do with my reef tanks they are both small 10 and 25 but i have no idea what to do

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long is the tent going to be in place?

Bigger tank, I'd probably try and tent the tank. Seal it very well in heavy plastic, and run a hose loop outside of the tent with an air compressor on it. Hope for the best.

10 and 25 gallon tanks? I'd move them to a neighbors until the treatment was all done. It's not that hard to move a small tank.

OP
OP
Francoreef

Francoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long is the tent going to be in place?

Bigger tank, I'd probably try and tent the tank. Seal it very well in heavy plastic, and run a hose loop outside of the tent with an air compressor on it. Hope for the best.

10 and 25 gallon tanks? I'd move them to a neighbors until the treatment was all done. It's not that hard to move a small tank.
Thankyou thats lookin like what prob going to happen

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large trashcans. Put livestock in them with a heater and a pump. Put them somewhere safe and cool. Put the tanks empty out of harms way.

Deepsixx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am with WVNed's answer. Any residues and it might be a bad thing. On the other hand, ask them to use bayer product that was used for removing pests from corals and maybe, if you have certain pests, it'll be a thing of the past (just kidding :) )

OP
OP
Francoreef

Francoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am with WVNed's answer. Any residues and it might be a bad thing. On the other hand, ask them to use bayer product that was used for removing pests from corals and maybe, if you have certain pests, it'll be a thing of the past (just kidding :) )
Hahaha thankyou all they did some spot treatment for the time being and didnt have to tent the house thank God

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue with tenting for termites is the gas they use will seep into everything. That's what it's designed to do. You will not be able to seal off the tanks 100% so moving them out is the best option.

Go to Walmart and get a couple of the large 25g storage containers with lids. They run about $10. per.

Stop feeding the fish 3-4 days prior. This is to reduce waste during the move.

On moving day transfer the corals and fish to temp bags, and capture the tank water into jugs. put the rock in the tubs and get the tanks and all associated filtration out to a friend's house or some where safe.
You are now on borrowed time. Fill the tubs with the reclaimed water and put a small put a small powerhead in for water flow. Make sure the water is at temp and float everything to match water temps. The corals you can put directly in with the water in the bags since it's from the same tank. The fish net them and dump the water in the bags. For light the best option is a really bright overhead will have to do for the 48 hours they will be in there. Feed the fish very sparingly as you do not want to overload the bio filtration. You can get some Dr Tim's One and Only or BioSpira and dose the tubs a few hours before releasing the fish. This will boost the bacteria for the few days they will be in there.

Once the all clear is given move the tanks and equipment in, dump the sand and replace with new if wanted. repeat the process of bagging everything for the move back. Once in and the tanks are setup transfer the rock back into the tanks and fill the tanks with 50% new mix and 50% from the respective tubs. Allow the tanks to clear then float and acclimate everything, again net release the fish back to their tanks. It may take a day or two once it's all back in for everyone to settle back down.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with everyone above, beening that your tanks are small, I would definitely transfer all live stock to tubs (I've done that numerous times with good results), move them to a safe location and reset the tanks after the treatment. Safest bet.

sprinklerdudes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
buy a rubber maid 35 gal trash can with lid,{ rinse with clean water before use} a few five gal buckets, set can up in a friends place, or other location away from house, transfer with five gallon buckets. if tanks are left in the house during treatment, they will have to be scrubbed thoroughly or replaced. all sumps, hoses and plumbing will need to be scrubbed as well. when they tent a house, nothing escapes the gas. . I have bought many tanks,. and live stock , I use quite a few five gallon buckets, hint don't overfill them its easier to make a extra trip than to hurt your back.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back