Tesselata Eel

Damon Jensen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish have been so hard to get this last year, and I have been waiting about that long for a new eel, so I jumped at the chance to get a Tasselta. He should arrive next week.

Is the Tasseleta really that much more aggressive

I have read a ton, but opinion vary. So it does seem that these guys can have issues with other eels. I have about a 12 inch white eyed, that did great with my Zebra....rest in peace!

He is going in a 200 gallon FOWLR. Other possible meals.
Triggers
Blue line- Brad...no issues Brad is 6 in and the tank boss
Picaso-Old Trigger-4 in, if he was a dog he would be a lab
Clown-Pennywise-4. In
******- no name yet baby in my qt
File fish- Spot..has one red spot, I thought was a bit
Others
Queen Angle-Bowie (Freddy mercury) passed on -5 in
Nasso Tang-Apollo 4 in
Rock mover wrasse Frankensteins Monster
Cow fish-in qt

I may be over stocked? But the wife is an animal lover so maybe a 500gpl is needed for a good habitat.

The fish seem to have enough room to hide and swim...when Brad gets uppity they can get away.

I will definitely send pics when I get him.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That species is now known as Gymnothorax favagineus. They supposedly can reach 3 meters in length, but I've never seen an aquarium one larger than 2 meters - still a huge fish. This is going to be a completely different eel behavior-wise than your Zebra moray was. I've always found these to be very aggressive - watch your hands!

Jay

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The local shop had a monster one last year. It was about six foot and hefty. They had two cinder blocks on the lid to keep it in the tank. The manager made a pvc cave the size of a fire hydrant for it to live. To feed it, they went to the market to buy whole fish.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are awesome eels but be prepared he will outgrow even a 200 gallon tank. They are quite aggressive even for a moray but have been successfully housed with other eels.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a fimbriated which was a very aggressive eel. The tesselated isn't too much different and it seems that others have had similar experiences based on my readings. Very cool fish though! I'd love to get another moray at some point.

M007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks he is in a 200 so wish me luck
I have this eel together with a Yellow Mouth. They get along fine. I did introduce a rather large file fish, that did not go so well for the file fish. Box fish on the other hand doing just fine. Also added a yellow wrasse, too fast for the eels to even notice also doing fine. Definitely more aggressive than the yellow mouth but manageable. Just always keep your eye on the business end.

OP
OP
Damon Jensen

Damon Jensen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I wouldn't say buddies yet, but they spent the first couple days on opposite sides of the tank. Test ate well, so well, I am missing a fish.

Said fish I had for 5 years, one of my first fish. We like to call the canaries, expected it do die while the first tank settled in. Survived several tank nukes. Alas did not make 2nd night with Tess. From that perspective, I have feed much more expensive meals to the tank.

Attachments

• 20210705_125224.mp4
    42.9 MB
Back