OP
Rick Mathew

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a for dummies version? Something with mostly pictures, a few steps and what not.

Actually I am not aware on any thing like that...Creating standards is an application of the knowledge of chemistry and good laboratory methods....One needs to have a basic understanding of the principles of chemistry to properly understand the creation of standard solutions...

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's exactly what I understood the linked document to be.

Actually I am not aware on any thing like that...Creating standards is an application of the knowledge of chemistry and good laboratory methods....One needs to have a basic understanding of the principles of chemistry to properly understand the creation of standard solutions...

Jim. we must have different definitions of a dummy lol.

Rick, so this is not something the average end user could follow a simple set of instructions to reproduce like with other tests?

From what I understand one does not need to know anything about chemistry to use the other test kits. Just like one does not need to know anything about programming to use Microsoft Word. One doesn't need to understand how and internal combustion engine works to drive a car (besides that it needs gas and oil).

I'm not sure if those are accurate comparisons, because honestly this thread is a little over my head. Sorry if I'm being a pain, I"m just wondering if this is the type of thing that can replace my Nitrate testing by following steps I follow for other testing.

I currently am getting one test (NYOS) showing <1 PPM Nitrate and API showing 10ppm Nitrate. So I'm going to have to buy another brand of testing and using a Hanna checker for this personally seems like a neat idea.

Thank you for your time.

OP
OP
Rick Mathew

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jim. we must have different definitions of a dummy lol.

Rick, so this is not something the average end user could follow a simple set of instructions to reproduce like with other tests?

From what I understand one does not need to know anything about chemistry to use the other test kits. Just like one does not need to know anything about programming to use Microsoft Word. One doesn't need to understand how and internal combustion engine works to drive a car (besides that it needs gas and oil).

I'm not sure if those are accurate comparisons, because honestly this thread is a little over my head. Sorry if I'm being a pain, I"m just wondering if this is the type of thing that can replace my Nitrate testing by following steps I follow for other testing.

I currently am getting one test (NYOS) showing <1 PPM Nitrate and API showing 10ppm Nitrate. So I'm going to have to buy another brand of testing and using a Hanna checker for this personally seems like a neat idea.

Thank you for your time.

OK...Maybe I need to understand what question is being asking. Is the Question 1) how to conduct the Nitrate Test I posted on the R2R Using the HI-764 Chr..... Or 2) how one goes about creating calibration standards?

The document I provided is about calibration standards...not doing the test using the Hanna Checker. The procedure for the making calibration standards is the one that requires some basic knowledge of chemistry...Running the Nitrate test using the Red Sea test Kit and The HI-764 requires no knowledge of chemistry...only that you know the test procedure and do it.

OP
OP
Rick Mathew

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a for dummies version? Something with mostly pictures, a few steps and what not.

Are you wanting to know the procedure for doing the Nitrate Test using the HI-746---- or are you asking about creating Reference Standards...Which is what the paper I posted is addressing?

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK...Maybe I need to understand what question is being asking. Is the Question 1) how to conduct the Nitrate Test I posted on the R2R Using the HI-764 Chr..... Or 2) how one goes about creating calibration standards?

The document I provided is about calibration standards...not doing the test using the Hanna Checker. The procedure for the making calibration standards is the one that requires some basic knowledge of chemistry...Running the Nitrate test using the Red Sea test Kit and The HI-764 requires no knowledge of chemistry...only that you know the test procedure and do it.
Are you wanting to know the procedure for doing the Nitrate Test using the HI-746---- or are you asking about creating Reference Standards...Which is what the paper I posted is addressing?

Ok, well this is starting to make more sense now. I am interested in question 1, how to conduct the nitrate test with HI-764 and what is the range of the test and general accuracy of the test (doesn't have to be an exact answer just looking for an approximation).

Sorry for the confusion, hopefully my lack of comprehension may help someone else who read this :).

OP
OP
Rick Mathew

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, well this is starting to make more sense now. I am interested in question 1, how to conduct the nitrate test with HI-764 and what is the range of the test and general accuracy of the test (doesn't have to be an exact answer just looking for an approximation).

Sorry for the confusion, hopefully my lack of comprehension may help someone else who read this :).

Ok...No Problem.. Did you get a chance to view the video posted that was listed in this thread (LINK BELOW)? It goes through the step by step...the only difference is the video uses a different Checker..Range of the test is 1 ppm to 20 ppm...these are the tested ranges general accuracy I only checked it vs the Red Sea & NYOS Results ( see chart on 1 page of this post section titled "TEST ACCURACY" This should give you an idea..

If you have watched the video and have specific questions about the procedure let me know & I will try to help

Essentially the procedure outline is: (Details in the video) LINK HERE-----

1) Do the Red Sea Nitrate Test

2) Measure the Sample

3) Record the Measurement

4) Put the value from step 3 into the equation and you will get the Nitrate PPM

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok...No Problem.. Did you get a chance to view the video posted that was listed in this thread (LINK BELOW)? It goes through the step by step...the only difference is the video uses a different Checker..Range of the test is 1 ppm to 20 ppm...these are the tested ranges general accuracy I only checked it vs the Red Sea & NYOS Results ( see chart on 1 page of this post section titled "TEST ACCURACY" This should give you an idea..

If you have watched the video and have specific questions about the procedure let me know & I will try to help

2) Measure the Sample

OK, perfect. Thank you. This answers all my questions. The video looked like it was produced in the late 80's or early 90's and converted from VHS. Good stuff! lol

OP
OP
Rick Mathew

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, perfect. Thank you. This answers all my questions. The video looked like it was produced in the late 80's or early 90's and converted from VHS. Good stuff! lol

LOL...:)...For sure early vintage video but way before the 80's and 90's....As they say the vintage of the video reflects the vintage of the producer :rolleyes:

Any more question please do not hesitate to ask

rick

tdg0910

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2) Measure the Sample

Thanks for posting this, I was looking for a better way to test between 2-5. Today I got my HI764, my test results were .78 with your test and 1 with sailfert.

OP
OP
Rick Mathew

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting this, I was looking for a better way to test between 2-5. Today I got my HI764, my test results were .78 with your test and 1 with sailfert.

Great to know...Thank you for sharing your results..Have a great holiday!!!

rick

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brilliant work! Thanks Rick! ;Happy

In theory, especially for our application, this can measure any range of Nitrate levels...

Just ordered the HI-764 Nitrite ULR checker...

OP
OP
Rick Mathew

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brilliant work! Thanks Rick! ;Happy

In theory, especially for our application, this can measure any range of Nitrate levels...

Just ordered the HI-764 Nitrite ULR checker...

I thank you very much. Let me know how it goes. if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thank you very much. Let me know how it goes. if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask

The Hanna tester arrived today and here are the first results:

Red Sea Nitrate Pro (high range): between 12 and 16.

Hanna Nitrite ULR method: 14.15.

Had to dilute the reacted solution by 2 (added 10ml tank water) and then got a reading of 149.

Not bad! ;Joyful

I've put in a preorder for the GHL ION Director which also measures Nitrates. This is great because it gives me a way to test the ION Director Nitrate measurement without trying to guess colours.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back