Test results are in and its not looking good! Any advice?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also I want to point out, they are your masters, NOT MINE! There were a few people here like Brandon that truly helped me. The fish are doing well and the remaining coral was doing great for a little while but the red algae is attacking the colony. If you are too much of a snowflake to handle me disrespecting your masters, that is on you, not me! I wasn't rude, I just called things as I saw them and I was right. The moderator even stepped in and deleted many of the trolling posts against me!

I'm trying to make this a constructive post. I really think its unfair for a poster to repeatedly ask questions (which you have done) and then when given answers to the questions - simply say 'I can't do that' (again repeatedly) and then get mad when the people trying to help keep giving 'the wrong answers' (in your opinion).

I guess I don't understand how on the one hand you're asking for help, stating you're not a marine biologist - but then discredit people who have more experience and are trying to help YOU.

FWIW - on the light issue - I don't think there is any way to know whether 'that light is cooking' your corals or not - without a PAR meter (but I agree unless the manufacturer says to put it at that level - it seems too low to me). If you cant raise it up - you (and everyone else) are just guessing as to what the 'correct' settings for 'your coral' should be. I.e. your adjusting the percent may be just right, too little or too much. IE you need a PAR meter.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to cut an opening in the top shelf of that rack and place the light on top? That way you'll have more spread on the light, more desirable space for corals and not have one intense spot of light in the middle and darkness on the ends.

Bhor217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some popcorn when I read this thread, so many people trying to help @Ralph Ritoch, and he has basically been inflammatory to all who have helped. nobody on here is anyone's "master," @ZaneTer was simply pointing to Ralph that a number of expert reefers, who have established themselves as masters of reef tanks by recording their success with pictures, reasoning and support, and people who come here for actual help respect them for what they have accomplished

Time and time again, people have tried to support you Ralph and you yell "DONT TALK TO ME TROLL," what is your end game here? Nobody can be "born with a PHD in marine biology" or any PHD or education with that matter. People are trying to help you and you just yell at the clouds. It has been established that:
  • your lights are too close to the water which wall cause issues with corals
  • you run your tank at too high of a temperature for things to thrive and your reasoning is because it is similar to the ocean near you. The ocean is essentially limitless, just because it is 96 degrees outside your house does not mean the ocean near you is 96 degrees heated. Use some common sense.
  • you dont have the right testing equipment, yet you continue to try to use them and justify results
  • We understand you might live in a remote part of Asia, and get it is hard for you to get items, but you have been moving at 5000 miles per hour and are clearly not very good at heeding advice

Also, i have to ask, why are you cycling your resoivoir tank? What is your reasoning there, I have a feeling people stopped arguing with you about it because you are so close minded, but I would love to know your reasoning.

Bottom line, R2R is a great place for support, but you have to be willing to accept it, and for pete's sake, maybe be a bit nicer.

Last edited:

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**** after reading this whole thread I can’t help but think why people that don’t want to listen get the most help lol [emoji23]

I’m over here trying to get a comment helping me with some algae I got on my tank and not a fly comes by the post to help me.

Anyway, to the OP don’t get mad at the people getting frustrated while trying to help you. It’s normal for people to get frustrated when they give someone sound advice and that person for one reason or another doesn’t take it. It’s ok to have your own opinions and do what you think it’s best for your tank but you should listen more and y’all less when learning.
I recently got scolded by some more experienced reefers because I made the mistake of putting a maroon and an oscellaris clownfish in the same tank... I didn’t get mad at them for pointing MY mistake, instead I owned it and asked if there was anything I could do to make the two fish coexist and was told it was very hard if not impossible so now they’re in two different tanks.

Don’t get discouraged and make your life easier and the hobby more enjoyable by listening to those that know more.

Safe reef keeping and good luck.

OP
OP
R

Ralph Ritoch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ralph, I agree with @ZaneTer to an extent. You’ll want to raise that light, even maybe a few inches if that’s all you can do. Looks like you have at least that much if u can figure out how to hang it with little room

The plugs are on top of this light which is my big problem with that, plus I don't want to interfere with the cooling fans. If I can improve the ventilation and make holes for the plugs a few inches may be doable. An access panel would be awesome but I would have to call back the carpenter for that.

OP
OP
R

Ralph Ritoch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to make this a constructive post. I really think its unfair for a poster to repeatedly ask questions (which you have done) and then when given answers to the questions - simply say 'I can't do that' (again repeatedly) and then get mad when the people trying to help keep giving 'the wrong answers' (in your opinion).

I guess I don't understand how on the one hand you're asking for help, stating you're not a marine biologist - but then discredit people who have more experience and are trying to help YOU.

FWIW - on the light issue - I don't think there is any way to know whether 'that light is cooking' your corals or not - without a PAR meter (but I agree unless the manufacturer says to put it at that level - it seems too low to me). If you cant raise it up - you (and everyone else) are just guessing as to what the 'correct' settings for 'your coral' should be. I.e. your adjusting the percent may be just right, too little or too much. IE you need a PAR meter.

I don't want to draw out the negative but the way the help was offered was simply rude. If someone says something that for some reason I can't do, I make it known. Keeping silent doesn't add any value to this thread. Not everyone has the same setup, and these lighting suggestions are all mostly a one-size fits all thing, they all expect you to have open space above your tank. I saw one article which said the ideal location of the light is one mile above your tank. It is what it is, but I need practical solutions. If someone gives me advice that I can't apply and I say nothing than the flow of information ENDS, everyone could safely and wrongly assume that the solution solved my problem, when in fact it didn't. As for my statement about marine biology, its obvious that I'm not an expert, and that I'm learning. I'm also slowly integrating a lot of the good advice that I have received. When someone comes in here, tells me I must do a certain thing their way when that thing isn't possible in my situation, and accusing me of ignoring everything I'm told, and if flat out rude to me in the process, I consider that trolling, and I am nobody's punching bag and NO ONE tells me what to do!

OP
OP
R

Ralph Ritoch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to cut an opening in the top shelf of that rack and place the light on top? That way you'll have more spread on the light, more desirable space for corals and not have one intense spot of light in the middle and darkness on the ends.

I don't think its possible. There is a structural support in the center of the shelf, right above the light. I have about another three inches before I hit that.

OP
OP
R

Ralph Ritoch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some popcorn when I read this thread, so many people trying to help @Ralph Ritoch, and he has basically been inflammatory to all who have helped. nobody on here is anyone's "master," @ZaneTer was simply pointing to Ralph that a number of expert reefers, who have established themselves as masters of reef tanks by recording their success with pictures, reasoning and support, and people who come here for actual help respect them for what they have accomplished

Time and time again, people have tried to support you Ralph and you yell "DONT TALK TO ME TROLL," what is your end game here? Nobody can be "born with a PHD in marine biology" or any PHD or education with that matter. People are trying to help you and you just yell at the clouds. It has been established that:
  • your lights are too close to the water which wall cause issues with corals
  • you run your tank at too high of a temperature for things to thrive and your reasoning is because it is similar to the ocean near you. The ocean is essentially limitless, just because it is 96 degrees outside your house does not mean the ocean near you is 96 degrees heated. Use some common sense.
  • you dont have the right testing equipment, yet you continue to try to use them and justify results
  • We understand you might live in a remote part of Asia, and get it is hard for you to get items, but you have been moving at 5000 miles per hour and are clearly not very good at heeding advice

Also, i have to ask, why are you cycling your resoivoir tank? What is your reasoning there, I have a feeling people stopped arguing with you about it because you are so close minded, but I would love to know your reasoning.

Bottom line, R2R is a great place for support, but you have to be willing to accept it, and for pete's sake, maybe be a bit nicer.

I have to be nicer? Let me remind you what he said that triggered my response!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"
You also have a hard time listening.

You won’t last in this hobby and all the better for it. The countless fish and corals saved by you exiting will be eternally grateful.
"

heck no! That was 100% rude!

I don't know what your game is but your about 10% rude and 90% helpful. If you are trying to put yourself in the middle to make peace, don't bother. I'm never going to be nice to trolls!

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think its possible. There is a structural support in the center of the shelf, right above the light. I have about another three inches before I hit that.

Two lights then, with two holes, one on either side of the support ;Woot Then you'll have some good usable light all the way to both ends of the tank. Though you'd lose all the storage space on top.

OP
OP
R

Ralph Ritoch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you run your tank at too high of a temperature for things to thrive and your reasoning is because it is similar to the ocean near you. The ocean is essentially limitless, just because it is 96 degrees outside your house does not mean the ocean near you is 96 degrees heated. Use some common sense.

I never said my tank was 96 degrees, if I did it was a conversion mistake, its ranging between 28C and 30C.

As you can see, the temperature of the ocean, here, is nearly the same temp as my tank!

OP
OP
R

Ralph Ritoch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two lights then, with two holes, one on either side of the support ;Woot Then you'll have some good usable light all the way to both ends of the tank. Though you'd lose all the storage space on top.

A funeral is expensive, and my wife is already mad about how much I spent on this first light! As much as I would love that setup, it isn't something I can do right now. Maybe in 6 months when she forgets how much I spent on this light!

Bhor217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
while it was harsh wording, what he said was not untrue.

You have demonstrated a difficult time listening, and throughout this whole thread, you have only been focused on making the tank work for your setup, and not setup a tank for the success of the fish.

We fully understand that you live in a remote part of the world, and do not have the same access as many of us benefit from, but that does not make the equipment/tests any less important to get. If it takes a month to get a bottle of something shipped, you have to wait for it. You will cause more headaches doing things, hoping they work, and reacting accordingly. For instance, getting the light stand built by a carpenter without confirming proper light placement.

We have all been victims of buying an incorrect item or perhaps something not good/proper enough for what we want to accomplish, and have to buy things twice. By paying attention now, you will save money in the long run.

OP
OP
R

Ralph Ritoch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
while it was harsh wording, what he said was not untrue.

You have demonstrated a difficult time listening, and throughout this whole thread, you have only been focused on making the tank work for your setup, and not setup a tank for the success of the fish.

We fully understand that you live in a remote part of the world, and do not have the same access as many of us benefit from, but that does not make the equipment/tests any less important to get. If it takes a month to get a bottle of something shipped, you have to wait for it. You will cause more headaches doing things, hoping they work, and reacting accordingly. For instance, getting the light stand built by a carpenter without confirming proper light placement.

We have all been victims of buying an incorrect item or perhaps something not good/proper enough for what we want to accomplish, and have to buy things twice. By paying attention now, you will save money in the long run.

Making this tank work for my setup is the only option right now. Next year (4-5 months from now) I have a major renovation of my house planned and when that's done that is when we will be building a more ideal setup. This is basically my training "sandbox".

Bhor217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never said my tank was 96 degrees, if I did it was a conversion mistake, its ranging between 28C and 30C.

As you can see, the temperature of the ocean, here, is nearly the same temp as my tank!

As you can see from this link. that is the surface temperature of the water.

"The measurements for the water temperature in Hinigaran, Western Visayas are provided by the daily satellite readings provided by the NOAA. The temperatures given are the sea surface temperature (SST) which is most relevant to recreational users."

I am not looking to argue with you here, run your tank however you see fit. More power to you, just don't understand what your end goal is here asking for help, and then rebuffing 98% of it unless it matches what you need. People are giving you advice from their own personal knowledge and experience. Just because it doesn't fit your "situation" doesn't mean it is not necessary to do to have a successful tank. You are dealing with living things, not a hot wheels car, you do not have the luxury of only thinking of your situation.

You can interact however you want, but as my mom says, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**** after reading this whole thread I can’t help but think why people that don’t want to listen get the most help lol [emoji23]

I’m over here trying to get a comment helping me with some algae I got on my tank and not a fly comes by the post to help me.

Anyway, to the OP don’t get mad at the people getting frustrated while trying to help you. It’s normal for people to get frustrated when they give someone sound advice and that person for one reason or another doesn’t take it. It’s ok to have your own opinions and do what you think it’s best for your tank but you should listen more and y’all less when learning.
I recently got scolded by some more experienced reefers because I made the mistake of putting a maroon and an oscellaris clownfish in the same tank... I didn’t get mad at them for pointing MY mistake, instead I owned it and asked if there was anything I could do to make the two fish coexist and was told it was very hard if not impossible so now they’re in two different tanks.

Don’t get discouraged and make your life easier and the hobby more enjoyable by listening to those that know more.

We have a backlog of unanswered threads. They normally don't get so long. I suspect some of it started when the site got revamped. I'm at the end and working my way forward. Hopefully someone will see yours soon. You can always reply to your thread and it will move it to the most recent list.

OP
OP
R

Ralph Ritoch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because it doesn't fit your "situation" doesn't mean it is not necessary to do to have a successful tank.

I have proven this theory wrong again and again! I've been told by people in this forum that all of my fish would be dead by now because I didn't cycle my tank. Well WRONG, I did cycle it in an unconventional way, much of which was accidental, and the science behind it very solid. High temperatures that you are complaining about are actually what has made this tank successful. This temperature increased the growth rate of the bacteria. While bacteria from a fresh water tank supposedly shouldn't survive in salt water, apparently it did! Why? Well probably because the water supply itself is contaminated with bacteria that thrive in both salt water and fresh water, since I'm so close to the ocean! I'm certain that I'm not the only reefer who has faced these specs before, but instead of using local help, I came here. Which was a mistake and is why I don't come here very often anymore!

OP
OP
R

Ralph Ritoch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm glad this got you some airtime! Frankly I didn't come here today asking for help. I was just reporting that the tank was doing well and that I had new lighting. Right away I got unsolicited advice along with snide trolling remarks! If you want replies, feed the trolls. Give them an excuse to troll you, that is how this thread got so long!

Bhor217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, you haven't even had your tank for a full month yet according to the estimated time line of your post. I wish I were able to figure out everything so fast like you have. No wonder your tank is so beautiful and you have only shown success in this thread!

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a backlog of unanswered threads. They normally don't get so long. I suspect some of it started when the site got revamped. I'm at the end and working my way forward. Hopefully someone will see yours soon. You can always reply to your thread and it will move it to the most recent list.

Thank you! After my comment here someone reached out to me in my thread [emoji1374]

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back