Test results not matching legend

MeganJoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought an imaginarium test kit. And every time I test for nitrites I get a purple coloration instead of the blue colorations that this test kit says I should be getting. It could be an accident on the part of the packaging that includes the legend. But I'm not sure.
for reference. This is water coming from my quarantine tank. and a photo of the most recent test is attached.
Also Please know that this is after 2 water changes. And the first test was an extremely dark purple. Bordering on almost black.
20240101_111507.jpg

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oof. That's an awful color card for a nitrite test.
That test color says high nitrite - 2+ppm so higher than a color kit can easily quantify.

OP
OP
M

MeganJoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oof. That's an awful color card for a nitrite test.
That test color says high nitrite - 2+ppm so higher than a color kit can easily quantify.
Have you ever seen a kit have the wrong colors on it?
Cause it's been amazingly frustrating to deal with.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what if there was a way to bypass that kit, and never use it again in reefing, and have the exact same results as if you did run nitrite tests

would you want that way, or is testing required/these choices are available in reefing. basic shortcuts, hacks etc.

we can cycle the setup in a totally opposite manner. mentioned since you said the kit has been a hassle

we can forego using that kit and cycle your tank quickly.

and if you're measuring nitrite to base water changes on when bioload is present, that should be ammonia instead but tested with a different kit. not that brand above. if determined to test, buy at least a seachem ammonia alert badge and base water change frequency off that.

the reason we can ignore it is due to marine vs freshwater environs as I read in Randy's nitrite article online.

were this a freshwater or low salinity qt setup that would change the need to factor nitrite in cycling or bioload management.

Last edited:

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t need to test for nitrites in saltwater tanks. They are only toxic in freshwater, and if they are extremely high (much higher than your results) in saltwater.

Just test for ammonia. If you are dosing copper for fish illnesses, use the seachem ammonia badge. Other than that, don’t bother with nitrite readings.

They will eventually drop to 0 on their own.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it is a PetCo brand. At least that’s the only place I’ve seen the brand.
Makes sense, I don’t have a Petco anywhere near me, I was kinda wondering if it was a freshwater test kit. You need to get off the form and root on your team. We need a Big Ten team to take out a Sec team especially Alabama!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense, I don’t have a Petco anywhere near me, I was kinda wondering if it was a freshwater test kit. You need to get off the form and root on your team. We need a Big Ten team to take out a Sec team especially Alabama!
I looked up the test kit and it says for both fresh and salt, but I’ve never used it.

I’m only on my phone during commercials.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked up the test kit and it says for both fresh and salt, but I’ve never used it.

I’m only on my phone during commercials.
I was born in Grand Rapids and my parents were from Cadillac. Raised since 6th grade in North East Ohio, my wife and I are Ohio State Graduates. I’m Ohio State first and Big Ten second. I’ve rooted for Michigan in the playoffs last two years because they were representing the Big Ten and really wanted two Big Ten teams in the Championship game last year although we would both have been wanting different outcomes. So sick of the SEC-and ACC.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was born in Grand Rapids and my parents were from Cadillac. Raised since 6th grade in North East Ohio, my wife and I are Ohio State Graduates. I’m Ohio State first and Big Ten second. I’ve rooted for Michigan in the playoffs last two years because they were representing the Big Ten and really wanted two Big Ten teams in the Championship game last year although we would both have been wanting different outcomes. So sick of the SEC-and ACC.
I no longer have that loyalty to the conference after this year.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever seen a kit have the wrong colors on it?
Cause it's been amazingly frustrating to deal with.
Color cards are often not great. Usually you end up wondering under what sort of weird lighting could the test result actually look like one of the colors on the color card? But no I've never seen one that unrealistic for the test kit color.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What??? You rooted for Michigan?? Your Buckeye privileges are hereby revoked!

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What??? You rooted for Michigan?? Your Buckeye privileges are hereby revoked!
Alright let me lay it out here, you sound like my young family in Michigan. When you get to be my age and have listened to announcers oooz all over the SEC and ACC, for decades, and talk about the Big Ten like they are the red headed stepchildren ( sorry any gingers on here) you begin to put your team first, Buckeyes, and Big Ten second. Which means even if Xichigan is in the playoffs, especially against Alabama, I’ve got to root for the Big Ten. Did you really want to see Alabama in the championship again? It makes sense in my warped mind.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright let me lay it out here, you sound like my young family in Michigan. When you get to be my age and have listened to announcers oooz all over the SEC and ACC, for decades, and talk about the Big Ten like they are the red headed stepchildren ( sorry any gingers on here) you begin to put your team first, Buckeyes, and Big Ten second. Which means even if Xichigan is in the playoffs, especially against Alabama, I’ve got to root for the Big Ten. Did you really want to see Alabama in the championship again?
No, I'm definitely not an Alabama fan. And I agree with Buckeyes first, big 10 second - except when it's Michigan, lol.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I'm definitely not an Alabama fan. And I agree with Buckeyes first, big 10 second - except when it's Michigan, lol.
Sorry, I've been a Buckeye fan since birth... my parents both graduated from there.

Now the big question is, are you rooting for Texas or for the future Big Ten (big 18) team?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard I know but it’s for the best. Ohio State had only one loss during the season and it was to a team going to the National Championship game. We just got lifted up!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright let me lay it out here, you sound like my young family in Michigan. When you get to be my age and have listened to announcers oooz all over the SEC and ACC, for decades, and talk about the Big Ten like they are the red headed stepchildren ( sorry any gingers on here) you begin to put your team first, Buckeyes, and Big Ten second. Which means even if Xichigan is in the playoffs, especially against Alabama, I’ve got to root for the Big Ten. Did you really want to see Alabama in the championship again? It makes sense in my warped mind.
I do root for Big Ten schools during bowl games, but when it’s OSU I have a hard time ever rooting for them. It doesn’t help that I really don’t like Ryan Day, although he is a phenomenal coach.

I do agree that it’s nice to not see a SEC school in the championship game. The favoritism of the SEC is what caused FSU to get jumped, although based on their bowl game they really didn’t deserve to be in the top 4.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I recently bought an imaginarium test kit. And every time I test for nitrites I get a purple coloration instead of the blue colorations that this test kit says I should be getting. It could be an accident on the part of the packaging that includes the legend. But I'm not sure.
for reference. This is water coming from my quarantine tank. and a photo of the most recent test is attached.
Also Please know that this is after 2 water changes. And the first test was an extremely dark purple. Bordering on almost black.
20240101_111507.jpg
I would not fret over nitrates with saltwater and the type of color questions the accuracy and mixing of drops to achieve this color

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back