Test results not matching legend

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I've been a Buckeye fan since birth... my parents both graduated from there.

Now the big question is, are you rooting for Texas or for the future Big Ten (big 18) team?
This is a little over lap. But how does this sound. Our wonderful Buckeyes had one season loss to the national championship team. Our Big Ten is the best in the country!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I've been a Buckeye fan since birth... my parents both graduated from there.

Now the big question is, are you rooting for Texas or for the future Big Ten (big 18) team?
It’s okay to be an OSU fan, everyone makes mistakes.

I’d probably rather see Washington, but I don’t care much either way.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See, and I don't like Jimmy H.

Anyway, back to the regularly scheduled program :)
I’m trying so hard not to reply on OP’s thread, but since the recruiting violations and cheating he has really turned his program around over the past 3 years. I would love to see his team play the Astros so we can once and for all know who the best cheater is. Once again, sorry OP.

OP
OP
M

MeganJoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what if there was a way to bypass that kit, and never use it again in reefing, and have the exact same results as if you did run nitrite tests

would you want that way, or is testing required/these choices are available in reefing. basic shortcuts, hacks etc.

we can cycle the setup in a totally opposite manner. mentioned since you said the kit has been a hassle

we can forego using that kit and cycle your tank quickly.

and if you're measuring nitrite to base water changes on when bioload is present, that should be ammonia instead but tested with a different kit. not that brand above. if determined to test, buy at least a seachem ammonia alert badge and base water change frequency off that.

the reason we can ignore it is due to marine vs freshwater environs as I read in Randy's nitrite article online.

were this a freshwater or low salinity qt setup that would change the need to factor nitrite in cycling or bioload management.
So I did ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate tests.
It's just my quarantine tank, and it hadn't had any occupants for a couple months, so I wasn't expecting anything crazy.
The nitrites and nitrates were both off the charts. So I did 1/2 water change that day. And again the next and the next and today as well. With slowly improving levels.
Untill today I was getting colors that didn't match the legend on the test kit for the nitrites only. (Today it's looking beautiful and almost 0!)
I did also rule out false readings by testing my big tank as well as my tap water to see if there was contaminants or something. all came back beautiful so it's just the quarantine tank being funky.
I don't have an issue with the tests. Just the weird colors that don't match what I'm used to seeing from a nitrite test. Almost like the printer was messed up.

OP
OP
M

MeganJoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Color cards are often not great. Usually you end up wondering under what sort of weird lighting could the test result actually look like one of the colors on the color card? But no I've never seen one that unrealistic for the test kit color.
Yeah, it's bananas. Like the printer colors were off or something.

OP
OP
M

MeganJoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t need to test for nitrites in saltwater tanks. They are only toxic in freshwater, and if they are extremely high (much higher than your results) in saltwater.

Just test for ammonia. If you are dosing copper for fish illnesses, use the seachem ammonia badge. Other than that, don’t bother with nitrite readings.

They will eventually drop to 0 on their own.
The current inhabitants weren't eating and acting stressy, ammonia and ph were great but the nitrites and nitrates were off the charts.
4 - 1/2 water changes later and things are looking good and they're eating again.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate tests.
It's just my quarantine tank, and it hadn't had any occupants for a couple months, so I wasn't expecting anything crazy.
The nitrites and nitrates were both off the charts. So I did 1/2 water change that day. And again the next and the next and today as well. With slowly improving levels.
Untill today I was getting colors that didn't match the legend on the test kit for the nitrites only. (Today it's looking beautiful and almost 0!)
I did also rule out false readings by testing my big tank as well as my tap water to see if there was contaminants or something. all came back beautiful so it's just the quarantine tank being funky.
I don't have an issue with the tests. Just the weird colors that don't match what I'm used to seeing from a nitrite test. Almost like the printer was messed up.
You can stop testing nitrites, unlike freshwater they have no significant value in saltwater other than causing false high readings of nitrates. I’m glad things seem to be turning around and keep us updated.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back