Testing kits

jchopkin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv seen online that the NT Aquarium Lab kit is a whole lot cheaper than the marine version and includes more testing liquids.

Are these just the same tests but differently priced to make more money from mariners? Or am I just better off getting the marine versions? Currently been using API and had some weird readings. Also got some queries about my new hanna tester however that's for a different day

OP
OP
J

jchopkin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photo of said kits

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210522-170157_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210522-170157_Samsung Internet.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
J

jchopkin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I best get the marine ones then. Iv recently bought a hanna salinity tester however Its saying my water is 1.023 when my refractometer says its 1.025 now everything in my tank is perfectly fine but I'm really worried now that one of them is wrong and I may of potentially wasted £70 and still unclear on what salinity my water actually is.
They are different reagents for fresh water than salt water, but I can't recommend more than salifert and hanna

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The reagents have different compound as salt is denser than freshwater

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I best get the marine ones then. Iv recently bought a hanna salinity tester however Its saying my water is 1.023 when my refractometer says its 1.025 now everything in my tank is perfectly fine but I'm really worried now that one of them is wrong and I may of potentially wasted £70 and still unclear on what salinity my water actually is.
If you have a cheap set of scales it's incredibly easy to make a reference solution to test the refractometer with table salt. I don't believe that solution works with the Hanna though.

OP
OP
J

jchopkin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a cheap set of scales it's incredibly easy to make a reference solution to test the refractometer with table salt. I don't believe that solution works with the Hanna though.
I made solution I found on here then tested my tank with showed a number closer to that of my hanna however when I test ro water on my refractometer it shows way below 1.000

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made solution I found on here then tested my tank with showed a number closer to that of my hanna however when I test ro water on my refractometer it shows way below 1.000
Refractometers need to be calibrated with a calibration fluid for accurate results.

This is what I use:

Refractometer Calibration Fluid

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back