Testing or no testing?

smabbott94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So been in the hobby 3 weeks now, got 31 fish now, all doing great. The coral is popping
So I’ve done nothing but check salinity, and keep at 1.025ish I’ve not had any issues, everything is thriving. I’ve saved on buying test kits and ordered myself a Achilles tang how oftern and what do you guys test

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long term success IMO equates to having a schedule that includes some testing. I personally would not run my tank without testing.

What size tank are we talking about here with that fish load and total age off tank?

Alkalinity is tested daily for me and salinity, nitrate, phosphates I test every Saturday along with a quarterly Triton test or sooner if needed

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And then.... all of a sudden.....

trainwreck GIF

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how is disease management being applied here, we have an 8 month 80% loss rate thread study going on this looks to be perfect for tracking.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
please post full tank pic

this is reefcentral messing with us right
13 fish according to his “hello” thread.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is indeed a nice reef. it w be neat to see if the same fish loading persists largely unchanged by Augustish

OP
OP
S

smabbott94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13 fish according to his “hello” thread.

I’ve added more since mate

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everything is thriving until it isn’t, I would get some test kits otherwise you throwing knives in the dark, forgot to add I test all parameters just once a week on Sunday

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really is a nice tank and truthfully lots of folks add new fish at once. A tank that big can support their waste. What is the disease prevention approach legit curious

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve added more since mate

Testing requirements general depend on what corals you’ve got apart from temp, salinity and nitrate. Is that an Acropora stick in the top right? Post a better picture and you’ll get a list of stuff to test for.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a golden expression in reefing that nothing good happens fast in a reef tank. @zoa what is making the point based on experience that things can get away from you very quickly and your system can crash overnight. @dvgyfresh is right... the easy part of this hobby is spending money. The hard part is planning, monitoring and adjusting on a regular basis.
How long did you cycle the tank before adding in your bioload?
If you are not testing, how did you determine it was safe for inhabitation?
The big tests initially are ammonia and nitrite / nitrate. As you move through the uglies, you will be paying closer attention to your phosphate (in addition to the previous nitrate, ammonia and nitrite). You should always be watching specific gravity and PH. As you add corals, you need to start almost daily monitoring of alkalinity and calcium.
There are a lot of very smart, experienced folks on this forum that are happy to help if you want it.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a tank that size, 3 weeks is really really short compared to the time scale that we have to think about in this hobby. meaning, because how big it is, any one "wrong" thing that's happening in your tank may take a couple of months to rear its ugly head, this is true especially for new tanks. in this regard, saying that "everything's been fine and thriving for 3 weeks" isn't really giving you any real useful information on if your inhabitants are on a positive trend or slowly decline.

Most organisms have internal mechanism to maintain homeostasis as much as it can, so outword appearance will not change much, until it can't and you have sudden crashes. That's what @zoa what and others are saying.

Thats why testing is important, b/c otherwise you really have no handle on what's really happening in your tank and the "eye test" is notoriously inaccurate.

To further the "complication", if your rocks and substrate are new, a tank that young wouldn't even give you a complete picture b/c a portion of the nutrients and other things you are testing may be absorbed in the rock and substrates so they dno't show up in water tests, until the rocks are saturated and suddenly you get a second round of "things go out of control" 8 - 10 months later. This is often why we recommend to take things slow in newer tanks.

The above are all generalizations obviously so there's going to be tanks that maintain success by doing something different. but again, generally speaking, doing the above will give you a greater chance of long term success.

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 weeks in with 31 fish in a 4x2x2? And adding an Achilles Tang to the mix? To top it off you're not testing?

Have you done any sort of QT for the fish? How did you determine your tank was ready for this bioload?

Testing is much cheaper than buying more fish and coral. Most importantly it is imperative to test for the health and care of the animals you are putting into your tank. I'd suggest you slow down and do more research into reef keeping so you do not kill your current inhabitants.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 71 75.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back