That one coral

Do you have that one coral you love but cant keep alive?

• Yes

Votes: 12 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the poll says, do you have that one coral you love but just can't keep alive? For me it is cyphestrea. I think they are amazing but I'm a little embarrassed to say I am 0-5. What's yours?

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly anything with a skeleton but have a one that's actually living right now., have had it since early summer so we'll see.

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A SC Orange Passion. I've bought three, from three different sources, and everyone slowly bleaches out and dies. Doesn't matter where I put it, and my tank is full of 30+ colony-sized SPS so it's not like it's a bad environment for it.

I'll beat you yet SCOP!!!

OP
OP
bsn_rn_cen

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly anything with a skeleton but have a one that's actually living right now., have had it since early summer so we'll see.
I have had my struggles as well. I crashed my tank full of lps this summer. It is pretty depressing. What is it that you have living right now?

OP
OP
bsn_rn_cen

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A SC Orange Passion. I've bought three, from three different sources, and everyone slowly bleaches out and dies. Doesn't matter where I put it, and my tank is full of 30+ colony-sized SPS so it's not like it's a bad environment for it.

I'll beat you yet SCOP!!!
That one is really cool.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my struggles as well. I crashed my tank full of lps this summer. It is pretty depressing. What is it that you have living right now?
I can;t remember the name but here is a pic.
DSC_7875.JPG

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that's a surprising answer coming from someone as experienced as you are. A bit ironic that it's many people's first SPS. :)
LeRoy Headlee (GARF) thought that exposing Seriatopora hystrix to the atmosphere (where coral tissue was no longer 'floated' by water and thus would collapse upon needle-like coral skeleton) could cause irreparable damage.It has been frustrating to me over the years to see magnificent S. hystrix colonies in aquaria across the country. With that said. a LFS has nice Seriatopora colonies. Might try again...

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the poll says, do you have that one coral you love but just can't keep alive? For me it is cyphestrea. I think they are amazing but I'm a little embarrassed to say I am 0-5. What's yours?
About month after returning to reef keeping, 10/2017. Bought the biggest carnation coral, hoping maybe I can make it thrive, it only lived 1 month. One thing I knew, I'd never see one again. And sure enough Indo ban answered that.

Screenshot_2019-11-09-21-07-21.png

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LeRoy Headlee (GARF) thought that exposing Seriatopora hystrix to the atmosphere (where coral tissue was no longer 'floated' by water and thus would collapse upon needle-like coral skeleton) could cause irreparable damage.It has been frustrating to me over the years to see magnificent S. hystrix colonies in aquaria across the country. With that said. a LFS has nice Seriatopora colonies. Might try again...
I dont know if I buy that. My son pulls our Ponape colony out of the water all the time to frag it.
Cheers! Mark

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know if I buy that. My son pulls our Ponape colony out of the water all the time to frag it.
Cheers! Mark
Yes, LeRoy's explanation doesn't hold water in many cases, however, I took some photomicrographs of a S. hystrix and saw the needle-like skeletal structure had penetrated the coral's tissue after it was removed from the water. I'll look through my slides (showing my age. Twenty-one years ago. LOL) and see if I still have that. Still, I've seen so many tanks with wonderful Seriatopora hystrix colonies...

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not so much that I have a coral I love but can't keep alive, as much as a coral I love but can't get to grow past one head. Going on 10 months, and my frogspawn (as well as both my hammers) won't grow any additional heads. Even my Bowerbanki that I just put in my tank in October is already showing signs of growing new heads, and the two acros I added at the same time as the bowerbanki are also showing signs of new geowth. But my euphyllia? "Nah, we are cool being all fat and happy single heads".

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back