OP
W1ngz

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got word today that the tank is almost done!
IMG_1145.jpg IMG_1146.jpg

OP
OP
W1ngz

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want a cube badly now
They're definitely the sexiest tank format I've seen, but have some specific challenges, namely:
-Generally deeper than standard tanks which adds some specific lighting concerns for power and spread (and cost)
-swimming distance for larger active fish (tangs) is less despite potentially larger total volume
-an equivalent stand footprint leaves a lot less room to work underneath

a4edwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on going with an sca 90 which 36x24x24. Gives me room for a trigger systems crystal 30 that I purchased already. I’ll be following your build potentially stealing some of your ideas!

JDnKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always wanted to setup a cube reef tank but ended up with a 6x2x2 180. After looking at the half cube and 3/4 cube on here I think I’ll go to that “other site” and call mine an Integrated Tri-Cube. Lol - jk

Looks like a great build, will be following. I really like the Nano Frag tank that you’re incorporating.

And NO, I’m not going to that “other site”, just had to read a few posts from both sites to know that THIS is where I want to be.

OP
OP
W1ngz

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the plan is to have the tank itself supported by the builder's powder coated steel stand. That is going to be a proper cube at 30x30x30. I've been considering options for the stand extension that I need to make some room for the larger sump, electrical and hold up the little 5 gallon frag tank. I considered just downsizing my original over-built 2x4 stand but that seemed excessive, and would have cost me more in proper tools, clamps and stuff than in materials. Then I looked at T-slot aluminium, but I easily hit over 200$ in the config that I wanted, which is a lot for what I need it to do. I was out this weekend shopping for some miscellaneous tank things, and happened across a simple pine shelf, which just happened to be exactly 30" high x 30" wide x 14". The perfect extension to the steel stand. All I'll need to cut is a piece of plywood to finish the top. Total cost: 19$. Time spent assembling: 15 minutes.

Win!

IMG_0404.JPG

OP
OP
W1ngz

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still no word on the tank being finished. I'm hoping it gets sent out soon! For now, I'm excited about rocks.
One of the two pieces I picked up is almost too tall for a 5gal bucket. There's definitely some interesting potential there.
This is dry marco rock, cut flat on one side, so it's going to brew for quite a while until moving day. There's just a few drops of ammonia in there, with a fistful of rubble down in the bottom to jumpstart things while it's having a time-out at the back of the laundry room.

IMG_0405.JPG

OP
OP
W1ngz

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IT CAME!

Finally, after 6 weeks or so the tank is here!!! Sadly, so is the credit card bill :(
My buddy bailed on me and the driver was in a hurry, so a neighbor took pity and helped me uncrate and heave it inside.
IMG_0444.JPG
Looking through from one side through the other, I can already appreciate the difference that starfire glass makes. A 90 cube sitting atop a 32" high stand is definitely an impressive sight.
IMG_0447.JPG

The back has a black vinyl coating, so the eshopps slim overflow is almost invisible against it. The look is fantastic! IMG_0450.JPG

I can't wait to get my hands on the rest of the major components and plumbing to see some water in it!

OP
OP
W1ngz

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little bit more progress over the last couple of weeks, I got the panels built for the stand.
Here is the stand, and the extension. The extension will allow a bigger sump that the typical cube has space for, give me an isolated place to mount electrical and controller stuff, as well as for the nano side tank. The panels are simple pine wall paneling framed with 1/4in poplar. The back center of each panel is braced with a 1/2 in x 2 poplar strip to prevent bowing/curving.

IMG_0480.JPG

The left side panel, where the controller and electrical will live.
IMG_0482.JPG

The sides along the steel stand are held in place with magnetic tape.
IMG_0483.JPG

And voila! Pretty close to my original design. Now I just need to figure out which stain will best match the other funiture in the room.
IMG_0485.JPG

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful cube w1ngz! I cant wait to see it filled!

Is that a heater controller mounted into snap lid container for waterproofing in the background? I love it!

OP
OP
W1ngz

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow and steady progress, last weekend I got the stain on the panels, and the lighting underneath. It came out a little greyer than the other furniture I was looking to match, but it's a lot closer than any commercial stand available.

Oh and I got tired of seeing a dry tank, so I filled it as high as I dared, just to say that it holds water! Filling a new tank that was shipped to my door half way across the continent is a nerve-wracking thing ;Nailbiting but it's been sitting there for 2 weeks now, and my floors are as dry as my slobbering beagle allows.

The sump is on it's way, and should be here in a few days. I went with the Fiji Cube 30 for it's price point, dual inputs, exchangeable sock/floss option and refugium.
I have most of the plumbing on the way also. It will be a combination of red and blue PVC, with grey sch80 fittings. Mostly blue, the dry emergency drain in a bean animal setup will be red.

IMG_0532.JPG IMG_0533.JPG IMG_0534.JPG IMG_0535.JPG IMG_0536.JPG IMG_0537.JPG

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 59 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.6%
Back