thawing frozen food to "reshape" it/put it in ice cube trays?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Changing up my fish foods, starting to use "Rod's Original", but it comes in a flat "sheet", and I would like a more precise way of feeding it. I was thinking of thawing it and the putting it in a ice cube tray. . .any reason not to do this?

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really - I've done it. The only side effect that i have seen is that sometimes larger chunks get smaller once you've thawed them and refrozen them, then thawed again to feed. I've noticed this with mysis too...

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
let it partially defrost, cut into size cubes you want, put them back in freezer on wax paper single layer. when frozen put in zip lock bag. thats how i make my own food for a fraction of the cost.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thawing and refreezing reduces nutritional value.

I take the flats and cut them up into squares. Then keep them in a lock and lock container in the freezer.

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thawing and refreezing reduces nutritional value.

I take the flats and cut them up into squares. Then keep them in a lock and lock container in the freezer.
I'm curious as to why you think this reduces nutritional value, over it already being frozen once in the first place? I'm not doubting you, just genuinely curious.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When a food item is frozen, ice crystals form in the cells which cause some rupturing. Each freeze causes more rupturing, so it's a frowned upon practice in the food industry.

Google answer:

Why can't you refreeze after defrosting?

When you freeze, thaw, and refreeze an item, the second thaw will break down even more cells, leaching out moisture and changing the integrity of the product.

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm - from the USDA site "The freezing process itself does not destroy nutrients." But other places do say that thawing then re-freezing can degrade proteins. This is interesting since my LFS will sometimes sells thawed and re-frozen packs of mysis at 50% off, when their freezer malfunctions. Just wonder how much it actually degrades and if broken protein chains (which is what I assume the recrystallzation and degradation causes?) is really a disservice to our fish or not.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 78.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back