The Angel Lovers Thread

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How hard was it to get your Potter to eat? How has your blue face been? Not too territorial with everyone else? Is he your only big angel?

Both of these ate very well from the start. The bigger one is from Divers Den and the smaller came from tide pool aquatics.

Don’t know exactly how to describe it but with angels I’ve had it seems some swipe at the food like they’re trying to yank the food off something. Those ones don’t seem to do well. Whenever I’ve had one that doesn’t do that and just seems to eat straight on they have done fine and both Potters and the Blue Face (Also from tide pool) all do that and are plenty chunky.

The Blue Face is my only big angel and is a big baby, perhaps because I have a Powder Blue and Sailfin that seem to be more in charge. He does grunt some when he’s cranky, especially likes to grunt if you come look in the tank with a flashlight after dark. Seems he really doesn’t like me to disturb his slumber. He did pick at zoas I tried to add as well as a nice brain and pectina so those are all back in my frag tank for now. But that’s a trade off I’m willing to make.

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of these ate very well from the start. The bigger one is from Divers Den and the smaller came from tide pool aquatics.

Don’t know exactly how to describe it but with angels I’ve had it seems some swipe at the food like they’re trying to yank the food off something. Those ones don’t seem to do well. Whenever I’ve had one that doesn’t do that and just seems to eat straight on they have done fine and both Potters and the Blue Face (Also from tide pool) all do that and are plenty chunky.

The Blue Face is my only big angel and is a big baby, perhaps because I have a Powder Blue and Sailfin that seem to be more in charge. He does grunt some when he’s cranky, especially likes to grunt if you come look in the tank with a flashlight after dark. Seems he really doesn’t like me to disturb his slumber. He did pick at zoas I tried to add as well as a nice brain and pectina so those are all back in my frag tank for now. But that’s a trade off I’m willing to make.
Thanks for the info. I won’t be putting any corals in this tank. So that solves that issue. How long have you has your Blue face for?

Steelersfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel the exact same way about Matthew. It’s another reason that I want to buy from him. How long have you has your conspics for? What size are they now? I would absolutely love a pair of them. I want a Scribbled angel as well. I also love poma’s blue line and blue spot angels. Too many choices lol. The captive bred seem to stay smaller
They have been with me for about 2 years. The larger one is around 4.5”, and the smaller is around 4”. They ate everything from the very beginning.

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have been with me for about 2 years. The larger one is around 4.5”, and the smaller is around 4”. They ate everything from the very beginning.
You never had any issues with them? I read somewhere that because of there skin, they’re susceptible to get ich like tangs. Is that true?

Steelersfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You never had any issues with them? I read somewhere that because of there skin, they’re susceptible to get ich like tangs. Is that true?
Since these are captive bred, one would assume that they come to us disease free. Obviously, if they shared water with wild caught fish, that would be a different story. In my case, I have not had any health issues (knock on wood).
I would highly recommend that they are still quarantined before going into display. This is done more for observation and to get the fish eating and comfortable after being shipped.

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since these are captive bred, one would assume that they come to us disease free. Obviously, if they shared water with wild caught fish, that would be a different story. In my case, I have not had any health issues (knock on wood).
I would highly recommend that they are still quarantined before going into display. This is done more for observation and to get the fish eating and comfortable after being shipped.
Makes sense I’ll definitely be quarantining all my fish. I’m also hoping to buy as many captive bred fish as possible from my eventual list. I rather pay a bit more for a captive raised fish. I do want a few wrasse, butterfly, anthias and tangs that haven’t been captive bred yet so qt of all the fish will be a must for me. Too bad they haven’t captive bred the Achilles tang yet

mayday0237

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally not nearly as spooked..blue face

IMG_20200113_131936.jpg IMG_20200113_131747~2.jpg IMG_20200113_131742.jpg

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt is one of the nicest people that I have ever known. I was one of their early customers. You will be very happy if you decide to get one. My tank is an Elos 160XL (approximately 200 gallons). The Conspic pair is with a pair of Joculators and a Bandit.

99351D69-D119-4DBD-92C2-4F8F430D18C5.jpeg

Matt is amazing and I love my conspicuous angel from Poma Labs.

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt is amazing and I love my conspicuous angel from Poma Labs.

What’s the list of all your fish? Still no issues with the Interuptus angel ( don’t you have 1-2? ). No issues with Conspic? How long have you had him for?

Manuel935

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have been reefing for a while and my dream fish has always been a queen angel fish but I never had a tank big enough to house it, however I am now upgrading to a 210 and I believe that this is enough space for them, what do you guys think, I just wanna make sure im doing the right thing as i dont wanna be responsible for killing such a beautiful fish.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added fish today! Placed my Gem Tang back into my display that housed my conspicuous and true personifier angelfish for approx 1.5 weeks. My intention was to add the tang today and acclimate my scribbled and regal angelfish next week.

immediately the conspicuous angel went for the tang with a vengeance. After several hours of witnessing this aggression I made the choice to add my two angelfish to help reduce the aggression towards the tang and within minutes the conspicuous stopped singling him out and balance was restored.

Check out the video!

Last edited:

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added fish today! Placed my Gem Tang back into my display that housed my conspicuous and true personifier angelfish for approx 1.5 weeks. My intention was to add the tang today and acclimate my scribbled and regal angelfish next week.
immediately the conspicuous angel went for the tang with a vengeance. After several hours of witnessing this aggression I made the chose to add my two angelfish to help reduce the aggression towards the tang and within minutes the conspicuous stopped singling him out and balance was restored.

Check out the video!

Are your scribbled and regal captive bred as well?

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. What other fish do you have or plan on adding? How big is your tank?

reefer 625xxl, the display is 133 gallons. Nothing more. I was planning on 3" Achilles tang but honestly that would be it until I upgrade to the reefer 900xxl. That will be in a few years.

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reefer 625xxl, the display is 133 gallons. Nothing more. I was planning on 3" Achilles tang but honestly that would be it until I upgrade to the reefer 900xxl. That will be in a few years.
I want an Achilles as well. You basically have all the same fish that I want. I’m thinking of a false personifier instead of a true one though. I have a 205 gallon display tank. Is that a Joculator angel on the video?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back