The Angel Lovers Thread

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by Aquaph8, Oct 19, 2013.

1. tkiry1

tkiry1 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

My newest addition... Africanus....

2. UncleSalty

UncleSalty Member

My Regal is also VERY shy. You walk into a room and he hides. He is getting a lot better, and its just taking him some time (he's been in my display for almost 2 months now). If I go up to the glass, he usually hides, but there has been a few instances where he has swam up to see what I am.

When my fish arrived, I did everything I could to get it to eat and nothing worked. Frozen clams on a half shell were of some success to him, but he didn't care that much. I tried every frozen food I could find and the only one he took a snip at was Hikari Angel. It would sink as a cube and I saw him took one bite of it. The BIGGEST thing that worked for my fish, was I saw in another thread, on another forum, that his angel enjoyed.......Collared Greens! Yes!......Collared Greens like you'd find at the supermarket. I thought 'why the hell not' and went and got some, and attached it to a nori-clip. The fish went crazy with it the first day. Tearing big holes out of the leaf. Now that I know he was taking stuff (he was picking at the rocks too), I felt more comfortable that he may stand a chance. I continued to feed twice a day and I would mix things together. After a bit, he started to eat more of the clams on a half shell. What I did there was drop the clam in with the rest of the shrimp - he'd see the others eating while he was eating his clam. It was seriously 4 days ago that I first actively saw him chasing brine shrimp in the aquarium. He did a horrible job catching it, but learned he could trap them in a corner persay. The next day he was better, and yesterday he was in the middle with all the fish catching brine.

Please keep me updated on your fish! I've went (sadly) through 3 of them before getting one that survived QT.

**Also, I keep my aquarium on 78 degrees F.

Empress and Wrangy like this.
  3. Maritimer

Maritimer Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter CTARS Member R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Beautiful fish!

I think the Masstick's worth a shot, and I see that you've already tried fresh clams (usually a pretty tempting menu item!). Live food such as blackworms or brine shrimp, if you can get it there, would also be worth a shot. Does she pick at the rocks at all?

Another thing you could try would be to cover half of the front glass with some form of visual block - paper, fabric, even a trash bag. That might help the fish feel more secure, with no apparent threat coming from that direction at least.

~Bruce

4. Matnil78

Matnil78 Member

I'll keep try clams and some different greens. Was hoping go get the Masstick this week, but no luck yet.... Will se if I can find some live food to.
    Some picking but mostly just nosing around, not really picking...
    The idé of covering the tank some has occured, I'll get to that tomorrow!

Maritimer likes this.
  5. locito277

locito277 Valuable Member

[​IMG] my new guy arrived from @tsmcorals today. Hopefully my smaller one plays nice and they pair off like the goldflakes.
    [​IMG]

6. Matnil78

Matnil78 Member

Update
    I covered the qt some on saturday, thought I saw a change in behavior directly, still swam away when I entered, but came out much faster:)
    Yesterday I think it did taste some small pieces of ON Reef flakes. Today I'm sure it ate a few pieces of flakes :)
    It's not chasing all the flakes and really eating but getting there! Still swims after flakes and then just swims by most of the times, but did eat a couple of pieces when I was watching and hopefully some more when I leave the room :)
    Feels good, it's the first I see it eat since I got it almost two weeks ago! It still doesen't look skinny, but healthy and curious!
    Just hoping it continious to eat :)

Maritimer likes this.
  7. Maritimer

Maritimer Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter CTARS Member R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Sounds encouraging!

Keep offering a variety, and I suspect she'll get with the program soon enough. Mine was pretty shy, but now competes as fiercely as anyone in the tank.

~Bruc

8. Matnil78

Matnil78 Member

Yes! Today the Regal is eating both Reef flakes and spirulina flakes :) and eating with more atitude not så careful as before!
    I'll keep him in the qt at least 1 more week and try to get him on some more foods but I feel like there is a good chance it will make it!

9. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Beautiful angels! I would love to won a regal but I like zoas too much! :(

FishFinatic ;) and Maritimer like this.
  10. UncleSalty

UncleSalty Member

Mine doesn't touch my zoas!

FishFinatic ;) likes this.
  11. tkiry1

tkiry1 Well-Known Member

How is the regal angel? Just plumbed a 47 gallon column tank into my main system and doing like 20 ocellaris or percula clowns in the tank.. Really for the kids.. Going to be pretty cool when it's done.....[​IMG]

Maritimer likes this.
  12. sc50964

sc50964 Valuable Member R2R Supporter

Acclaiming her to captivity. So excited that I finally got a false personifer.

[​IMG]

13. Overboard

Overboard Member

One of my favorites!

FishFinatic ;) and sc50964 like this.
  14. cFloor

cFloor Active Member R2R Supporter

^^ beautiful!!!

FishFinatic ;) and sc50964 like this.
  15. locito277

locito277 Valuable Member

Hey brother how are you? He’s great man. Him and my smaller one hit it off immediately. Ray for the win again.

16. Dai89

Dai89 Member

Hey everyone, here's part one of my russian roulette pair.. named in honour of my favourite sports club... Fener[​IMG]

The other angel will be named bahçe

17. NeuroticAquatics

NeuroticAquatics Valuable Member

Scribbled Angels are my favorite. I’m hoping to get another this year (last one died in a MV outbreak).

18. Highgrade

Highgrade Valuable Member R2R Supporter

My latest addition I just received today. Eating right out of the bag. Should do well in QT. Sorry for the low quality photos. 861149F8-7199-486A-8D86-51FF05BB4A28.jpeg 336E2A43-E8F0-4D07-9967-E03F5A5DBF21.jpeg

19. dh350twin

dh350twin Well-Known Member

Have you talked to Ray at Tsm? He can get them

tkiry1 likes this.
  20. dh350twin

dh350twin Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t raise the temp. You would be surprised how cool the water is in the Red Sea.

Draft saved Draft deleted