0   0   0
7fc93c4fd146fb716af2de0988a4a0c9.jpg

My newest addition... Africanus....

UncleSalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Regal angel in qt since a week now but I still haven't seen it eat.... The qt is around 200l (around 54 gallon), besides the Regal there is 5 G Loreto and 1 A Occelaris wich all eats.
The Regal looks healthy and is not skinny, but is shy, when the door to the room opens it swims behind a rock bit when left in peace it swims around the tank.
I did a fw-dip when it arrived and is now on day 5 with prazipro(wich i know can supress apitite).
It shows some interest in brine-shrimp(frozen) and ON Reef flakes, not like it tastes or swims after but it's interested...
Have tried frozen brine-shimp, mysis, fresh clams, regular shrimp, Ocean Nutrition formula 1 and 2 pellets, Dr Bassler pellets, Ocean Nutrition Reef flakes...
Any tips on how to get it feeding?
Located in Sweden so the range and brands of avalible foods differ some from America...
I have Easy Reef Masstick incoming:)
d429140c242f6419967135ae647154fc.jpg

My Regal is also VERY shy. You walk into a room and he hides. He is getting a lot better, and its just taking him some time (he's been in my display for almost 2 months now). If I go up to the glass, he usually hides, but there has been a few instances where he has swam up to see what I am.

When my fish arrived, I did everything I could to get it to eat and nothing worked. Frozen clams on a half shell were of some success to him, but he didn't care that much. I tried every frozen food I could find and the only one he took a snip at was Hikari Angel. It would sink as a cube and I saw him took one bite of it. The BIGGEST thing that worked for my fish, was I saw in another thread, on another forum, that his angel enjoyed.......Collared Greens! Yes!......Collared Greens like you'd find at the supermarket. I thought 'why the hell not' and went and got some, and attached it to a nori-clip. The fish went crazy with it the first day. Tearing big holes out of the leaf. Now that I know he was taking stuff (he was picking at the rocks too), I felt more comfortable that he may stand a chance. I continued to feed twice a day and I would mix things together. After a bit, he started to eat more of the clams on a half shell. What I did there was drop the clam in with the rest of the shrimp - he'd see the others eating while he was eating his clam. It was seriously 4 days ago that I first actively saw him chasing brine shrimp in the aquarium. He did a horrible job catching it, but learned he could trap them in a corner persay. The next day he was better, and yesterday he was in the middle with all the fish catching brine.

Please keep me updated on your fish! I've went (sadly) through 3 of them before getting one that survived QT.

**Also, I keep my aquarium on 78 degrees F.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Regal angel in qt since a week now but I still haven't seen it eat.... The qt is around 200l (around 54 gallon), besides the Regal there is 5 G Loreto and 1 A Occelaris wich all eats.
The Regal looks healthy and is not skinny, but is shy, when the door to the room opens it swims behind a rock bit when left in peace it swims around the tank.
I did a fw-dip when it arrived and is now on day 5 with prazipro(wich i know can supress apitite).
It shows some interest in brine-shrimp(frozen) and ON Reef flakes, not like it tastes or swims after but it's interested...
Have tried frozen brine-shimp, mysis, fresh clams, regular shrimp, Ocean Nutrition formula 1 and 2 pellets, Dr Bassler pellets, Ocean Nutrition Reef flakes...
Any tips on how to get it feeding?
Located in Sweden so the range and brands of avalible foods differ some from America...
I have Easy Reef Masstick incoming:)
d429140c242f6419967135ae647154fc.jpg

Beautiful fish!

I think the Masstick's worth a shot, and I see that you've already tried fresh clams (usually a pretty tempting menu item!). Live food such as blackworms or brine shrimp, if you can get it there, would also be worth a shot. Does she pick at the rocks at all?

Another thing you could try would be to cover half of the front glass with some form of visual block - paper, fabric, even a trash bag. That might help the fish feel more secure, with no apparent threat coming from that direction at least.

~Bruce

Matnil78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll keep try clams and some different greens. Was hoping go get the Masstick this week, but no luck yet.... Will se if I can find some live food to.
Some picking but mostly just nosing around, not really picking...
The idé of covering the tank some has occured, I'll get to that tomorrow!

Matnil78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update
I covered the qt some on saturday, thought I saw a change in behavior directly, still swam away when I entered, but came out much faster:)
Yesterday I think it did taste some small pieces of ON Reef flakes. Today I'm sure it ate a few pieces of flakes :)
It's not chasing all the flakes and really eating but getting there! Still swims after flakes and then just swims by most of the times, but did eat a couple of pieces when I was watching and hopefully some more when I leave the room :)
Feels good, it's the first I see it eat since I got it almost two weeks ago! It still doesen't look skinny, but healthy and curious!
Just hoping it continious to eat :)

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds encouraging!

Keep offering a variety, and I suspect she'll get with the program soon enough. Mine was pretty shy, but now competes as fiercely as anyone in the tank.

~Bruc

Matnil78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! Today the Regal is eating both Reef flakes and spirulina flakes :) and eating with more atitude not så careful as before!
I'll keep him in the qt at least 1 more week and try to get him on some more foods but I feel like there is a good chance it will make it!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful angels! I would love to won a regal but I like zoas too much! :(

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dabe1a610c547a306cc867f7b47c6217.jpg
my new guy arrived from @tsmcorals today. Hopefully my smaller one plays nice and they pair off like the goldflakes.
dd1d2ce2e426b79b9839bfcd109056d7.jpg

How is the regal angel? Just plumbed a 47 gallon column tank into my main system and doing like 20 ocellaris or percula clowns in the tank.. Really for the kids.. Going to be pretty cool when it's done.....
af61c400c29a0131e31a194fe5193862.jpg

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the regal angel? Just plumbed a 47 gallon column tank into my main system and doing like 20 ocellaris or percula clowns in the tank.. Really for the kids.. Going to be pretty cool when it's done.....
af61c400c29a0131e31a194fe5193862.jpg

Hey brother how are you? He’s great man. Him and my smaller one hit it off immediately. Ray for the win again.

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On thing I have been thinking about is temperatur, the qt now holds around 26 degreess( 79 fahrenheit), since it's yellow-belly it's from the red sea or Indo-pacific? Should I raise the temp, Red sea is usually pretty warm if I remember correct?

I wouldn’t raise the temp. You would be surprised how cool the water is in the Red Sea.

Back