The anti zoa - any good coral choice to help contain zoas?

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't get me wrong, I love my zoas, but those things can grow! I'm starting to get the awkward feeling that I'm heading toward having a very large orange island in the middle of my tank. Any coral suggestions to fence it in? Preferably something that goes well with a lot of orange!

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't let them loose off their rock unless you want to concede the landscape.

Assume we're talking about bam bams. Yep....they can terraform a planet.
1623010057953576002963990548342.jpg

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most zoas won't encroach on LPS or most SPS tissue. I say most because green implosions and more aggressive palys will. The wild variants that contain lots of palytoxin will bomb your tank, but they are rather rare and not attractive.

The problem though is they chew up realestate and limit flexibility.

Euyphillia won't take grief from expanding zoas. Galaxy corals are even nastier at defending their turf.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a very large birds nest that has stopped my zoas from traveling west for several years now. I'd like to prune the birds nest considerably, but afraid of letting the zoas out of the fence.

Natedogg1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't let them loose off their rock unless you want to concede the landscape.

Assume we're talking about bam bams. Yep....they can terraform a planet.
1623010057953576002963990548342.jpg
Ceramic ramekins? That’s cool. How are you utilizing these? Rocks glued on top of the overturned ramekin?

OP
OP
Calm Blue Ocean

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to post a new thread but then remembered I'd started this one.

So, the zoas are definitely getting out of hand. I have an orange mountain front and center in my tank. They are trying to run my duncan out of town.

I tried adding an encrusting monti to fence them in but it's proving to be much slower growing than those crazy zoas.

I finally had to do some manual removal today which I can't say I was super comfortable with. I did enough to give the duncan some breathing room, but I think next round I'll pull the rock (even though it has 5 corals on it including a monti cap) and peal the zoas off in a bucket because in spite of my best efforts, those suckers SLIMED! Did a water change and changed carbon but yeah, next time out of the tank!

Anyway, I was considering trying another pest to control them like some low growing GSP. At least the green might be a nice contrast with the mega orange. ;Hilarious

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to post a new thread but then remembered I'd started this one.

So, the zoas are definitely getting out of hand. I have an orange mountain front and center in my tank. They are trying to run my duncan out of town.

I tried adding an encrusting monti to fence them in but it's proving to be much slower growing than those crazy zoas.

I finally had to do some manual removal today which I can't say I was super comfortable with. I did enough to give the duncan some breathing room, but I think next round I'll pull the rock (even though it has 5 corals on it including a monti cap) and peal the zoas off in a bucket because in spite of my best efforts, those suckers SLIMED! Did a water change and changed carbon but yeah, next time out of the tank!

Anyway, I was considering trying another pest to control them like some low growing GSP. At least the green might be a nice contrast with the mega orange. ;Hilarious
The GSP will overtake the zoas in my experience. Stick with Euphyllias, Montis, even some of the acros do a pretty good job keeping them fenced in. As do maxi mini nems...

MoreReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't get me wrong, I love my zoas, but those things can grow! I'm starting to get the awkward feeling that I'm heading toward having a very large orange island in the middle of my tank. Any coral suggestions to fence it in? Preferably something that goes well with a lot of orange!
Chalices, favia, acans... id guess an encruster with sweepers...

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree the lepto is weak. My Solar Eclipse bounce mushrooms killed my JF Jack o lantern lepto in no time.

I’d probably try a faster growing SPS like birds nest or stylo, or a favia or galaxea due to the sweepers

OP
OP
Calm Blue Ocean

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lepto are weak. They loose to ricordea and zoas. Encrusting monti wins over zoas. My sunset monti won over bam bams and scramble eggs.

I've got a JF Fruity Pebbles sharing the rock right now, just wasn't sure if it had what it takes to hold back the Mango Coolers. Hopefully it takes off!

OP
OP
Calm Blue Ocean

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree the lepto is weak. My Solar Eclipse bounce mushrooms killed my JF Jack o lantern lepto in no time.

I’d probably try a faster growing SPS like birds nest or stylo, or a favia or galaxea due to the sweepers

I do have a birdsnest growing out on a frag plug that could be a candidate. Might take some trial and error but sounds like I have a few things I can try. Going to cut back the zoa colony by about half and try out the birdsnest and monti.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leptoseris, leptastrea, chalices .. all of them will take over zoas. Zoas are also easier to scrape off and frag. I would not worry too much about them. They are not Xenia or gsp or encrusting micro Goni , all of those are worse than Zoas in my opinion

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0

LOVE my galaxia for this reason!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.4%
Back