The anti zoa - any good coral choice to help contain zoas?

OP
OP
Calm Blue Ocean

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leptoseris, leptastrea, chalices .. all of them will take over zoas. Zoas are also easier to scrape off and frag. I would not worry too much about them. They are not Xenia or gsp or encrusting micro Goni , all of those are worse than Zoas in my opinion

Clavularia. That was a truly bad one.

OP
OP
Calm Blue Ocean

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best way to remove zoas? I want to reduce the colony by about 2/3. Right now, there isn't even room for my magical barrier coral. Yesterday I just grabbed them at the base with forceps (while in the tank) and pealed them from the rocks. Even though they came off cleanly they really slimed, and my tank is only 50 gallons. Hate to pull the rock since there are other diva corals on there (including a monti cap on the back side that I'm afraid of breaking). Perhaps a two-person job, one with a syphon for slime while the other pulls zoas?

fts.jpg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best way to remove zoas? I want to reduce the colony by about 2/3. Right now, there isn't even room for my magical barrier coral. Yesterday I just grabbed them at the base with forceps (while in the tank) and pealed them from the rocks. Even though they came off cleanly they really slimed, and my tank is only 50 gallons. Hate to pull the rock since there are other diva corals on there (including a monti cap on the back side that I'm afraid of breaking). Perhaps a two-person job, one with a syphon for slime while the other pulls zoas?

fts.jpg
You can use kalk paste or aiptasia-x...

LaxFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to post a new thread but then remembered I'd started this one.

So, the zoas are definitely getting out of hand. I have an orange mountain front and center in my tank. They are trying to run my duncan out of town.

I tried adding an encrusting monti to fence them in but it's proving to be much slower growing than those crazy zoas.

I finally had to do some manual removal today which I can't say I was super comfortable with. I did enough to give the duncan some breathing room, but I think next round I'll pull the rock (even though it has 5 corals on it including a monti cap) and peal the zoas off in a bucket because in spite of my best efforts, those suckers SLIMED! Did a water change and changed carbon but yeah, next time out of the tank!

Anyway, I was considering trying another pest to control them like some low growing GSP. At least the green might be a nice contrast with the mega orange. ;Hilarious
Pics?

OP
OP
Calm Blue Ocean

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nevermind! Just saw your post. lol wish I had that in my 72 g but I guess be careful for what you wish for!

I most definitely like these guys, no regrets! They look great under both white and blue lights. I just wish they didn't grow quite so fast in my tank lol. The duncan was getting a bit annoyed with their enthusiasm so it was time to take action. Darn things are even growing up through holes in the rock out the other side. The ones on the third island are about to meet the King Midas zoas, hopefully those guys can hold the line! Again, amazing color but unanticipated growth rate! ;Hilarious

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I most definitely like these guys, no regrets! They look great under both white and blue lights. I just wish they didn't grow quite so fast in my tank lol. The duncan was getting a bit annoyed with their enthusiasm so it was time to take action. Darn things are even growing up through holes in the rock out the other side. The ones on the third island are about to meet the King Midas zoas, hopefully those guys can hold the line! Again, amazing color but unanticipated growth rate! ;Hilarious
Well, keep pulling them off and attach to some plugs... You can sell them to local hobbyists :)

JonEB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to post a new thread but then remembered I'd started this one.

So, the zoas are definitely getting out of hand. I have an orange mountain front and center in my tank. They are trying to run my duncan out of town.

I tried adding an encrusting monti to fence them in but it's proving to be much slower growing than those crazy zoas.

I finally had to do some manual removal today which I can't say I was super comfortable with. I did enough to give the duncan some breathing room, but I think next round I'll pull the rock (even though it has 5 corals on it including a monti cap) and peal the zoas off in a bucket because in spite of my best efforts, those suckers SLIMED! Did a water change and changed carbon but yeah, next time out of the tank!

Anyway, I was considering trying another pest to control them like some low growing GSP. At least the green might be a nice contrast with the mega orange. ;Hilarious
frag them off the rock and put some encrusting cyphastria imo. slow growth but good contrast and they won't put up with zoa.

OP
OP
Calm Blue Ocean

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
frag them off the rock and put some encrusting cyphastria imo. slow growth but good contrast and they won't put up with zoa.

I think that's the key. I want something to contain them but don't need to be coming back in a few months asking how to now control coral Y ;Hilarious

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 156 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back