sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sixty_reefer

I can’t find it now, about a month ago on this website on experiment forum, carbon dosing in addittion to Guillard f/2 fertilizer was used for enhanced phytoplankton production. In that experiment, I think by Peace River, the carbon source was critical. Seems like some overlapping science.
I believe I saw it too, wasn’t his determination that bacteria was increasing co2?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

exnisstech

what I want is for any reader to click on a page, there's 7 pages so far, and see a new fix job underway at least once per page

this sets a very high bar for what people write on the thread

this should be results only, no prognostication factored and we're at seven pages so far, ten are coming with no work jobs in progress.

we are all sitting around talking vs doing the hard work it takes to source and solicit actual fix jobs and convince them to post here, so we can test sixty's method like we test any other best way option in reefing.

there should be about 5-8 new tanks posting here, agreeing to start dosing on this method, and they do updates for the next several months. notice the direction of the thread is not heading that way, we could fix that.

someone go to other reef forums and solicit jobs from there. I could easily get nano-reef.com posters over here but I want to see someone else doing the sales work too.

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

exnisstech

what I want is for any reader to click on a page, there's 7 pages so far, and see a new fix job underway at least once per page

this sets a very high bar for what people write on the thread

this should be results only, no prognostication factored and we're at seven pages so far, ten are coming with no work jobs in progress.

we are all sitting around talking vs doing the hard work it takes to source and solicit actual fix jobs and convince them to post here, so we can test sixty's method like we test any other best way option in reefing.

there should be about 5-8 new tanks posting here, agreeing to start dosing on this method, and they do updates for the next several months. notice the direction of the thread is not heading that way, we could fix that.

someone go to other reef forums and solicit jobs from there. I could easily get nano-reef.com posters over here but I want to see someone else doing the sales work too.
No thanks. You know how hard it is to teach someone and get them to follow a program that could last for 3-6 months. In other words you want me to run their reef tank for them remotely for months? No thanks. Just dose some vinegar in your tank and move on with your life. Or at least that’s what I’m going to do.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No thanks. You know how hard it is to teach someone and get them to follow a program that could last for 3-6 months. In other words you want me to run their reef tank for them remotely for months? No thanks. Just dose some vinegar in your tank and move on with your life. Or at least that’s what I’m going to do.
There are a lot of knowable people on this thread. To slow it down so work journals can be injected is very unrealistic.

BRANDON,
I suggest you start your own website and you make the rules. If you want to mentor someone’s work journal, then start a thread doing just that. When you have the results to brag about, then come back to this thread and post results.

I already know this works. I have been refining it for 30 years. In the medical profession, doctors practice medicine. While science is important, there is a certain art to operating a reef. Observation and interpretation of changes requires a skill level not easily taught to people wanting simple “cook book” solutions.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will watch the next several pages to see what's demonstrated

Being called to task live time wasn't expected to be well- received.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@exnisstech

I won't interrupt the pages long theory coming. I'll sit back till about page 20= 6 pm tonite lol and expect some jobs to be started where we get to watch them get fixed. I didn't want to see bulk pages of type replacing tank jobs, fix threads are supposed to be results based.

I'll quit ribbing you guys now don't get too mad Subsea/ it's a friendly poke just to keep everyone humble on claims so far.

Having to fix outbound tank jobs is very very tricky. If someone's tank isn't free of algae when we said it would be, that means something and if ten or so worked reefs get fixed, that means something. Truly the method has potential.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Homebrood posted a perfect example of hands off reefing

That's +1 for the claim, first fix on file though it wasn't live here it may be the closest we get for a while.

We need to see one of those jobs begin now, for a new tank. Several by page 20...that means the writers were busy sourcing help threads in the meantime if we get to see that new work unfold.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was really interested in trying this but I'm not really sure now if that is even welcome. Not to be mean, it's probably because I'm not too intelligent but @brandon429 your replies make my head spin and half the time I don't even understand what you are saying. So I'll bow out. Not that I was ever included in anything to begin with. :thinking-face:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't as a job scout in good faith instantly change from bioactif/ no longer available/ had potential/ to Dr. Tims waste away which I've already seen in action eight years, and don't find it bankable

I brought in four potential leads not knowing the prime ingredient in this thread was limited.

@exnisstech i thought all your writing was kind and nice, it was no offense to me.

Agreed fully, this thread should be allowed to evolve as directed, I'll simply sneak a look on page 20 and see how things area going

Last edited:
OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already know this works. I have been refining it for 30 years. In the medical profession, doctors practice medicine. While science is important, there is a certain art to operating a reef. Observation and interpretation of changes requires a skill level not easily taught to people wanting simple “cook book” solutions.
I think we have many similar interest in looking to natural approaches to reefing, the development of the continuous phytoplankton dosing unit was one of those moments, looking to feed diversity in many different aspects, I now look at it for what it is many are only interested in live phytoplankton to feed copepod wend phytoplankton is so much more than that.
Phytoplankton is a really good source of carbohydrates the downside is that it requires vast amounts to be effective.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to be confused with other similar threads were you are required to work hard, I’m a laid back kinda reefer and hard work is just not for me, sorry I prefer to allow the bacteria to do that work for me.

The goal of this thread is to discuss and illustrate the use of carbohydrates into clean reef tanks from pollutant that aid the growth of algae and other nuisances bringing biofloc knowledge to the reef aquaria hobby.

Peer reviewed paper

( Not that anyone going to read anyways, folks just like to see links )

The above paper illustrates that the use of carbohydrates can be used to reduce ammonia and other pollutants in a system by just feeding the bacteria, yes that’s that simple bacterIa also requires feeding the more carbon they get the more nitrogen and phosphorus compounds they will assimilate into body mass.
To remove the bacteria and the nutrients assimilated from the system is fairly simple, just perform a water change if you don’t have a skimmer, introducing filter feeders to prey on the bacteria and transfer those nutrients into the filter feeder body mass, zooplankton will also prey on bacteria and get eaten by fish transferring nutrients that way by trophic levels and natural as you would see it happen in the sea.

I’m not suggesting to anyone to use tapioca, molasses or sucrose into they’re system, we’re not on a cooking forum just be smart and use the only source of carbohydrates that I know that are made for reef systems, just get some Reef actif and fallow instructions (I don’t own any shares in the company by the way) I just find the product fairly safe to use for any level of experience in aquaria.

Example of a new system, 9 months or so that never had an algae issue, gets a crazy amount of food and often feed reef actif daily after light out.
there is no GAC or GFO from the beginning, there is no mechanical filtration every nutrient that goes in will end up in the fish belly or in a coral filter feeder etc… glass maintenance is just every 3-4 weeks not really sure I think last time I clean it was around Xmas there was many feather dusters starting to grow on it

Still better than having to clean the tank myself imo.

Happy to hear any thoughts from others
I read the article about intensive aquaculture with fresh water Red Talapia. Bio flock is also used in intensive shrimp mariculture. I visited Texas A&M shrimp farm at Flour Buff near Corpus Christie. Research scientist, Professor Tzachi Matzliah grew 5 kilos of large shrimp in 1 cubic meter of water. When I went there 7 years ago, the test run was completed and raw data was being analyzed. Professor Tzachi was very proud of the work results as I got a personnel tour of the facility from him. Professor Tzachi has since retired from academia and he operates a consulting company to help mom & pop shrimp farms. In shrimp farming, bioflock protocoal is complicated in that carbon source needs to be changed after shrimp develop past larvae stage.
During the 2 hour tour, I asked Professor Tzachi his country of origin. Because of previous conversation, Tzachi knew I was in the military and his answer to me was “My tank was the “tip of the spear” in Israeli/Arab 6 Day War. Coincidently, in June of 1967 I was a 19 year old Air Force crew chief on Puff the Magic Dragon, patrolling Jordan Israeli border before my first 90 day TDY in Cambodia.

I think we have many similar interest in looking to natural approaches to reefing, the development of the continuous phytoplankton dosing unit was one of those moments, looking to feed diversity in many different aspects, I now look at it for what it is many are only interested in live phytoplankton to feed copepod wend phytoplankton is so much more than that.
Phytoplankton is a really good source of carbohydrates the downside is that it requires vast amounts to be effective.

Dana Riddle doses very large amounts of phytoplankton to control nutrients and to feed the bottom of the food chain. I dose 1 liter twice a week into 75G twenty five year mature display. I am presently thinning out GSP covered rocks from this system. System includes many filter feeders along with flame scallops and sea apples.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was really interested in trying this but I'm not really sure now if that is even welcome. Not to be mean, it's probably because I'm not too intelligent but @brandon429 your replies make my head spin and half the time I don't even understand what you are saying. So I'll bow out. Not that I was ever included in anything to begin with. :thinking-face:
Exnisstech,
Brandon often confuses me, but I don’t think it’s because “I am not too intelligent”. I do suggest you try this different carbon source. I once tried carbon dosing with vinegar and was skimmerless. It didn’t produce the results I desired so I am all about trying a different carbon source

@brandon429,
You should note the above post and consider your fixation on work journals in other peoples threads.

Last edited:

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exnisstech,
Brandon often confuses me, but I don’t think it’s because “I am not too intelligent”.

@brandon429,
You should note the above post and consider your fixation on work journals in other peoples threads.
It appears to be a conscious decision to wreck everyone else’s thread and convert views to his own, probably works too, especially with new folk.
@sixty_reefer please continue. Even if I’m not convinced about your theories some times, it’s all brain food ;)

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exnisstech,
Brandon often confuses me, but I don’t think it’s because “I am not too intelligent”. I do suggest you try this different carbon source. I once tried carbon dosing with vinegar and was skimmerless. It didn’t produce the results I desired so I am all about trying a different carbon source

@brandon429,
Thanks, That was actually my way of being nice and polite :winking-face: I'm afraid that this thread is not going to move forward not just because brandon is taking over but also because of the availability of reef actif is questionable.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My definition of a work thread is embracing an idea, say algae scrubbing, over 11 years ago. Examining and trying to improve upon the idea, only to find that certain things are incompatible with my goals, wasting 2 years, only to ditch the idea for reasons given by @Timfish .

but also because of the availability of reef actif is questionable

Maybe not if it’s an easy accessible product, just with a nice sticker on the tub. I doubt these low volume items are anything other than rebranded common stuff.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe not if it’s an easy accessible product, just with a nice sticker on the tub. I doubt these low volume items are anything other than rebranded common stuff.
But since we don't have a list of actual ingredients in reef actif I'm not sure that is feasible. I'm new to this type of testing but I think for it to work it has to be a product that is readily available to all of us willing to try the method. If there is an alternative product that can be chosen and available to all then this should be able to move forward. Like I said this is all new to me and I'm not a science guy but it would seem that an identical product that is available to all has to be used to determine if and how well it works so it can be replicated by others, especially people new to the hobby like myself.

Last edited:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But since we don't have a list of actual ingredients in reef actif I'm not sure that is feasible. I'm new to this type of testing but I think for it to work it has to be a product that is readily available to all of us willing to try the method. If there is an alternative product that can be chosen and available to all then this should be able to move forward. Like I said this is all new to me and I'm not a science guy but it would seem that an identical product that is available to all has to be used to determine if and how well it works so it can be replicated by others, especially people new to the hobby like myself.
@Randy Holmes-Farley

Can you assist with generic ingredients of

Tropic Marin Reef Actif, 100 ml./60 gr.​

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 68 45.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 70 46.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.6%
Back