The best nano fish for a nano tank! What nano fish do you keep?

What nano fish do you keep? (select all that apply)

• Basslets

Votes: 39 12.0%
  • Blennies

Votes: 109 33.4%
  • Cardinalfish

Votes: 67 20.6%
  • Chromis

Votes: 24 7.4%
  • Clownfish

Votes: 230 70.6%
  • Gobies

Votes: 186 57.1%
  • Wrasses

Votes: 67 20.6%
  • Other

Votes: 24 7.4%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The best nano fish for a nano tank! What nano fish do you keep?

Smaller tanks are going to need smaller fish (and often fewer fish). While the size may vary based on which definition that you use, nano tanks are often considered to be less than 29 gallons or less than 39 gallons. Sometimes these nano tanks are the primary tank that we keep, or they may be in addition to another larger reef aquarium. Whatever size nano tank that you have or whether it is your only tank, fish selection matters for a nano tank. Let us know what type of livestock you have added to your nano tank, and especially share what type of fish that you keep in your nano tank. Additionally, if you are willing to share…we’d love to see pictures!

Shaner014_Cardinalfish.jpeg

Photo by @shaner014; Bangaii Cardinalfish

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.worldwidecorals.com

WWCBanner.png

“We differentiate ourselves from other vendors by offering our customers full transparency into our facility and practices. Setting the industry standard for shipping techniques, accurate high-quality photos, hard to find corals, and customer service. For some hobbyists buying live coral online can seem like a risky endeavor. At WWC our staff takes the worry out of the equation by culturing extremely healthy corals, giving you a hassle-free guarantee, and providing you with a full online customer service team to ensure you are completely satisfied with your purchase.” @WWC

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have found ideal fish are the smaller hiders such as basslets (diadema, candy(, gobies such as thomson, firefish), bangaii cardinal as examples

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a nano currently, but I have kept every fish on the list at one point or another.

If I had to pick the best nano fish they would be small and not very aggressive. Watchman goby, basslet, and azure damsel would be a nice trio for a smaller tank.

But here is some eye “candy” appropriate for most nanos (currently lives in my 65):
IMG_1022.jpeg

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i'm going to cheat, and join as my 40B probably has about the same amount of water volume!

i have 2 firefish gobies, 1 yellowhead jawfish, 1 midas blenny! (and a tomini tang which is getting rehomed and replaced with another nano fish which i'm undecided on for now)

be_ninja_pancake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 15 gal with a pair of clowns (Tom and Jerry), a firefish goby (Phoenix), and a yellow watchman goby (Simon). I have a soft spot for gobies now because they’re so cute and are generally not aggressive towards each other except if occupying the same territory.

This is a pic of the tank thinking they’re being fed while I was testing water parameters:
IMG_5668.jpeg

reefadam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO clownfish are the “Perfect” saltwater aquarium fish: tank-raised, tons of personality (fishonality??), colorful and huge variety of patterns, peaceful, and don’t need a ton of space as they’re generally site specific (i.e. to their host anemone), not to mention ICONIC. This mainly applies to Occelaris/ Percula varieties, as some of the others can definitely be brutes.

Gobies would be my next choice for most appropriate for a nano, as there is a huge variety with similar traits of compatibility, size and site specificity. A lot of the shrimp gobies come to mind like watchman, Yasa Hase, and Dracula gobies. The diminutive Flaming Prawn is one of my all time favorites, tho they can definitely get lost easily. The circus/ Black Barred convict/ white tiger goby (priolepsis nocturnal) is a super interesting little fish, but very cryptic, probably even more so than the flaming prawn in my experience. I love the Rainford and Hectors gobies as well and feel they’re often overlooked, but they’re great little mini sand sifters! Man I could go on and on about cool gobies!

Out of This list, I feel most Wrasses to be least appropriate for a nano or small sized aquarium, tho there definitely can be exceptions.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They live in a 60 now but 2 ocellaris clowns, 2 Bangaii and my Orange spot Blenny all started in a nano. The clowns are my “oldest” fish as they were in my first, a Biocube 16 gallon for a a couple months before going for IM 30l.

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a Nano I think helfrichi firefish are some of the coolest out there. If you can get away with it and get enough pods in your tank I think a ruby red or mandarin dragonet are the next best. Then just some of my personal favorite smaller fish would be a candy hogfish, a small school of chromis, six line wrasse, and a royal gramma.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 56 gallons my tank is not quite nano but I still enjoy nano fish. I have an ocellaris clown, a neon goby, 2 masked gobies, a green citron goby, a pajama cardinal and a yellow watchman goby.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a Golden Assessor (Assessor flavissimus) and a Possum wrasse in my 25 Lagoon. I'm not a fan of clowns in a nano unless they are the only fish. Every pair I've ever kept in my big tank claimed a space about the size of a 50 gal cube as their own. Thinking about adding a Swissgard basslet and a watchman goby to complete the stocking.

FreshwaterConvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon AIO with an orange tail damsel and I used to have a smithii mantis shrimp (hence the damsel, only thing I didn’t think he’d get ) but definitely looking now to try and add something with him. So far orange spot goby didn’t go well

Attachments

• IMG_5068.jpeg
    IMG_5068.jpeg
    229.9 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_5075.jpeg
    IMG_5075.jpeg
    190.3 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_5076.jpeg
    IMG_5076.jpeg
    189.3 KB · Views: 130

crahan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m guessing that 3-4 tangs wouldn’t be received well, even as a joke.

2 Picasso clowns a watchman goby and a pistol shrimp.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never really had a "nano" until the 32g I added. Right now just a bunch of RBTA's, a clown and ***TANG POLICE ALERT*** a powder blue. He's way too small for my 200g and putting on some meat in the nursery before he faces gizmo the purple monster LOL.

As a rule I typically like small more colorful fish so I can support more in the tank. That probably comes from the days of LFS telling people 1" of fish per 5g. Much of what I keep would be good for a nano. Clowns, basslets, certain damsels, some wrasses etc. Biggest I have is purple tang followed by bicolor angel and a really fat melanurus.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back