OP
OP
poomba

poomba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree because I have never seen a sunny d with red on them.

Also with the CAR style polyp the rings of color are distinct and arent muddled together like the green and yellow are on a Sunny D.

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate to rain on your parade, but Sunny Ds and Vivids are different- from each other and from car/bowsers. First off, neither rainbows have any red coloration, so that eliminates the car/bowser comparison. Secondly, vivids are a different shade of orange and lack a speckled skirt. Two characteristics that do not vary with lighting. I know because I've grown these side by side for over two years.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate to rain on your parade, but Sunny Ds and Vivids are different- from each other and from car/bowsers. First off, neither rainbows have any red coloration, so that eliminates the car/bowser comparison. Secondly, vivids are a different shade of orange and lack a speckled skirt. Two characteristics that do not vary with lighting. I know because I've grown these side by side for over two years.

Can we get some side by side comparison pic's?

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This are my vivd rainbows
DSC_0474.jpg

DSC_0410.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

8099740567_21d5f06f6c_c.jpg

sunny D
DSC_0102-2.jpg

8099741057_bc0713d43c_c.jpg

BBoley24

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Man your sunny ds are so much different than mine! All are distinctively different. Alot of speckling and lines going on there... no colored skirts nor do I notice a distinction between rings.

These polyps posted are gorgeous! They are a great collection.

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man your sunny ds are so much different than mine! All are distinctively different. Alot of speckling and lines going on there... no colored skirts nor do I notice a distinction between rings.

These polyps posted are gorgeous! They are a great collection.

I have 2 different sunny ds. And both are beatuful.

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 different sunny ds. And both are beatuful.

and could easily be "confused" as Bowsers...IMO...lol

Akwarius said:

Don't know about you, but I see RED and SPECKLES in one the Sunny Ds posted above and not in the other. I've also seen several types of Polyps develop speckles in the skirts, after a lighting change, such as T5 to LED, which would indicate that as a characteristic that can vary, according to light.

ladyreefer1983

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sunny ds are yellow/green with specks/glitters on skirts while vivids rainbow are more orange no specks/glitters on skirts...

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i showed this before...bought it as a rainbow paly and paid less than $70 for 4 polyps
brightrainbowpaly.jpg

colored up in my tank cause of fish poop and turned out to be this..oh great i have candy apple reds...
candy.jpg

then it went to a beautiful colony of candy apple reds...
candyleds.jpg

no i dont have it anymore...just saw this thread...i guess the person i sold my CARs are enjoying it right now :)still a question to me how and why the color changed? i still dont understand as to this day...

If these are CARs, then they have to be the nicest CARs I've run into. What's the difference between this and a bowser?

I get the difference between CAOs and CARs, one has a very distinct orange ring and CAOs are much brighter than CARs. I can tell the difference instantly when I look in my tank.

But the more pictures I see of Bowsers the more I get confused.
I found this picture, they're supposed to be Bowsers (NOT MY PHOTO):
304490_383311641752804_2084987467_n.jpg

They look very similar to ladyreefer's, only ladyreefer's is a much happier and healthier polyp. I also see that the yellow ring is not as distinguishable solid on polyps with less light.

Candy Apple Reds hardly get any of the yellow ring, although if old enough and given a lot of light they can develop it (mine have). CAOs get the yellow ring for sure, and it's very noticeable. But then when grading CAOs to Bowsers... I get a really confused. People with Bowsers and CAOs should chime in more often to help settle this down, pics of grown up polyps as well.

Last edited:

PolandSpring

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
johnporksandwich,where did u get your vivids rainbow?i dont think its the vivids rainbow
Buy Rainbow Palys Online | Vivid Aquariums

your last pic is sunny ds for sure and the pic before that is vivids no doubt...and akwarius is right on with the description/difference of both palys.

+1 to ladyreef1983 and Akwarius

Vivid Rainbows and Sunny Delights are different. Joshporksandwhich - Your first two photos are not Vivid's Rainbow, although they are very nice and I want a polyp of them still :), the first photo where you stated they are Sunny D's - that is actually the Vivid Rainbow and the second pic is the Sunny Delight

Vivid Rainbows are much more detailed on the lines and have a much much deeper Orange. The Sunny Delights are more yellow and have a little speckle on their frills. IMO i like sunny delights just a bit better, but I like both a lot.

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to ladyreef1983 and Akwarius

Vivid Rainbows and Sunny Delights are different. Joshporksandwhich - Your first two photos are not Vivid's Rainbow, although they are very nice and I want a polyp of them still :), the first photo where you stated they are Sunny D's - that is actually the Vivid Rainbow and the second pic is the Sunny Delight

Vivid Rainbows are much more detailed on the lines and have a much much deeper Orange. The Sunny Delights are more yellow and have a little speckle on their frills. IMO i like sunny delights just a bit better, but I like both a lot.

lol. so many names I didn't know there was a vivid rainbow. What i have on the first 3 pics are vivd raptor rainbows lol. But thanks for clarifying. I've been selling vivids as sunny D's and the actual sunny D's i don't touch lol.

BBoley24

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The CAR vs Bowser is just ridiculous. BUT... The CAO and Bowser is most definitely a causal for concern.

BBoley24

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Btw... IMHO... ladyreefer got one HECK of a deal getting those for $70.

There are THOUSANDS of different morphs of THOUSANDS of different strains of CARs and CAOs... some people... like Troylee... hit the jackpot... and others... like (put 1000 reefers here) got jacked.

I think it's incredibly possible that someone out there sold some of their CAOs and 5 years later Bowser arrived on the scene... and the strain of CAOs just so happen to be just like the Bowser if not better. The lines are so skewed that the only way we can differentiate between the strains is to see it in person.

I have hunted down every single person on this board that has publically claimed to have a Bowser. All of which say that it is amongst the brightest polyp in their tanks. I have CARs and CAOs. They are gorgeous! I just acquired a Bowser polyp. I hope they are twice as nice LoL. I already noticed that the polyp is a whole lot bigger than I thought it would be. It is the same size as my purple orchid. That in itself is impressive.

Does anyone share the same sentiment when I exclaim "the larger the polyp, the more dim the colors appear."? (In most cases)

Last edited:

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There are THOUSANDS of different morphs of THOUSANDS of different strains of CARs and CAOs... some people... like Troylee... hit the jackpot... and others... like (put 1000 reefers here) got jacked.

I think it's incredibly possible that someone out there sold some of their CAOs and 5 years later Bowser arrived on the scene... and the strain of CAOs just so happen to be just like the Bowser if not better. The lines are so skewed that the only way we can differentiate between the strains is to see it in person.

I have hunted down every single person on this board that has publically claimed to have a Bowser. All of which say that it is amongst the brightest polyp in their tanks. I have CARs and CAOs. They are gorgeous! I just acquired a Bowser polyp. I hope they are twice as nice LoL. I already noticed that the polyp is a whole lot bigger than I thought it would be. It is the same size as my purple orchid. That in itself is impressive.

Does anyone share the same sentiment when I exclaim "the larger the polyp, the more dim the colors appear."? (In most cases)

Idk, but now you gotta post pics! :bigsmile:

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let the pm's fly into your inbox for the waiting lisst hahah

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, I'm still heart broken that I probably will never find this strain. It's so beautiful...
candyleds.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back