The BRS 160: 10 Weeks of the Triton Method | BRStv Investigates

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Albertastorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I'm looking at your salient points -
wheat, natural yields improved by manipulation = 25 times more food per acre...
ok
manipulate aquarium to do the same, increase fish growth & reduce space needed by 25 times

upload_2017-11-7_16-1-4.png

Yes; feed a family of four, day to day, using only a 200 gal aquarium.

Awesome

;)

These principles can be applied to our reef tanks!!!
But the manufactures of lighting ...chemistry and food settle for ..."equal to nature"...not better???

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These principles can be applied to our reef tanks!!!
But the manufactures of lighting ...chemistry and food settle for ..."equal to nature"...not better???
There's improvements to be made for sure, but feeding the world attracts more research funding.
Although the hypothesised climate catastrophe has increased funding into the marine sciences that otherwise wouldn't have occured. And some of that is applicable to captive systems.

Albertastorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok
manipulate aquarium to do the same, increase fish growth & reduce space needed by 25 times

Awesome

;)

If your math was as good as your vocabulary...you would realize we have made a 50 times increase in production from that of nature....just saying:)
And point not being to feed the world from our tanks...just saying what's possible and wondering why we settle for ...equal to nature ...in our tanks?

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your math was as good as your vocabulary...you would realize we have made a 50 times increase in production from that of nature....just saying:)
And point not being to feed the world from our tanks...just saying what's possible and wondering why we settle for ...equal to nature ...in our tanks?
LOL. I thought the increase was from two bushels to 50 bushels per acre. I re-read it was 100 bushels. My maths is ok; it's my comprehension that needs adjusting :p

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is all very interesting:)!
But as a farmer I think I can add something that has bin missing from our view of reef keeping.
We are farming a tank full of corals, fish and invertebrates.
When wheat grew on the prairies it yielded 2 bushels per acre.
By modifying varieties ...suppressing weeds...(pests in our tanks)...by adding the right fertilizers...(calcium ..trace elements) we now get 100 bushels per acre!
We all try to reproduce sea water..(prairie conditions)...that yielded 2 bushels per acre...(sea water).
Why are we not trying to create a better chemistry then the prairies???
That yields 50 times the coral growth of sea water??
Genetic modification has contributed significantly to this yield increase of wheat:)) and GMOs will and do effect our hobby in the near future as well.
But I always hear this ..."Lets reproduce sea water"...no lets create a better environment for our organisms...then the sea!
Anyone on the fore front of improving our growth and success should be researching parameters of light, chemistry and food that grow better then the sea!

No - on several levels. But interesting thinking:)

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just havin a laugh, by correlating improved terrestrial yields to improved aquarium yields, with the emphasis on food production. :)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ok

Awesome

;)

Does not make sense.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Well...

Firstly - there is no evidence that wheat growing on the prairie(using early farming techniques) compared to modern farming techniques is anywhere near equivalent to nature compared to a reef aquarium. In other words - we may be advanced over the first wheat growers with reefing techniques already)

Secondly - See Firstly.

Thirdly - most people (I think) are not trying to 'farm' corals - for sale or use (which is what wheat farmers do - they are not growing wheat to 'look at it for hour's - though I did sit in a wheat field in Regina for a couple hours once). So the scale you are talking about is not that practical.

Fourth(ly) - You bring up an interesting point about 'reproducing sea water'. Perhaps there is a better method - though it seems many here in this particular thread are attempting to reproduce 'sea water' - but - that method will need to be proven/researched by someone with more money than the average reefer. Even the ones that have oil money:):):) (that was a joke).....

LittleMaui

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question about the recommended Gyre/Icecap coding on Apex. Does this code turn the Gyre from 0% to 100% immediately (on/off), or does it "ramp" up to 100% over the 45 minutes, and the decrease over the next 45 minutes?

TYO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ryan, can you expand on the reasons to remove the rollermat? It seems that there would still be enough nutrients in the system and keeping the it would actually help with the nutrient control.

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do I need an 2 icecap controllers? Or will 1 control 2 pumps?

EDIT: Nevermind. I found the answer

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The purpose isn't to demonstrate one method being better than another, it is to demonstrate that you can eliminate variables and water changes to promote stability and maintain a successful reef tank.

Yes - the purpose is to demonstrate that the Triton method is better than the 'doing water change' method'. If it were not better, why change? What variables are being 'eliminated'? There are lots of ways to maintain a successful reef tank

bh750

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First I gotta say it was very cool to see two questions I posted here make it onto the BRSTV follow up video. Like that feeling you get when you see yourself on TV!

Ok so I want to confirm I have this right before I move to the next step...

I have a 300g system. Using the Triton method, once I get things in check and am in maintenance mode, I dose the Core7 Base elements daily and periodically re-test my water with an ICP test right?

Looking at the dosing instructions. I it says 2ml of each bottle per 26 gallons of system water.
For a 300 gallon system that = 24ml per day, of each solution.
A set of the 1000ml solutions would last me approx 42 days.

So at $52 per Core7 Base pack on BRS that's a approx $1.25 per day or $37 per month.
An ICP test once every 3 months is another $13 per month.

Bringing total Triton method maintenance costs for a 300g system to approx $50 per month or $600 per year. Even less if I snag some of the awesome deals today on BRS!

Does that sound on? Originally I thought the bottles were "100" ml and blew a gasket :)

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First I gotta say it was very cool to see two questions I posted here make it onto the BRSTV follow up video. Like that feeling you get when you see yourself on TV!

Ok so I want to confirm I have this right before I move to the next step...

I have a 300g system. Using the Triton method, once I get things in check and am in maintenance mode, I dose the Core7 Base elements daily and periodically re-test my water with an ICP test right?

Looking at the dosing instructions. I it says 2ml of each bottle per 26 gallons of system water.
For a 300 gallon system that = 24ml per day, of each solution.
A set of the 1000ml solutions would last me approx 42 days.

So at $52 per Core7 Base pack on BRS that's a approx $1.25 per day or $37 per month.
An ICP test once every 3 months is another $13 per month.

Bringing total Triton method maintenance costs for a 300g system to approx $50 per month or $600 per year. Even less if I snag some of the awesome deals today on BRS!

Does that sound on? Originally I thought the bottles were "100" ml and blew a gasket :)

I think larger containers are available at BRS which is a better value.

bh750

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think larger containers are available at BRS which is a better value.

oh yea! once again reading things wrong. saw it as 10 "ML" but youre right on. 10L which is 10 times the 1000ML amount for much less. so for $410 that would be more than enough for a year.

Making even more sense now. thanks!!

bh750

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok have another generic Triton method question. I haven't read anything yet on the types of tanks, maturity and stocking wise. So my tank is very lightly stocked right now. Lots of fish and LR. and a handful of mostly soft corals. assuming the triton method applies to all types of reef tanks. Also assuming the more thats in there the more thats taken up and needs to be replenished? and stony corals more than soft corals maybe?

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My co2 just went empty while away so I️ had to up my core7 dosing to maintain my all level (I️ run a hybrid method). So, just for reference I️ upped to 60ml from 39ml per day and it is maintaining my alk (based on my trident prototype). I️ have a pretty heavily stocked SPS and LPS 425g tank (600g System).

So cool to do this emergency adjustment from halfway around the world.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My co2 just went empty while away so I️ had to up my core7 dosing to maintain my all level (I️ run a hybrid method). So, just for reference I️ upped to 60ml from 39ml per day and it is maintaining my alk (based on my trident prototype). I️ have a pretty heavily stocked SPS and LPS 425g tank (600g System).

So cool to do this emergency adjustment from halfway around the world.
Hey come on now. Don't be selfish with testing that trident. Get that thing available to insiders!

joe berkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to thank you guys at brs for all your vidios. I call my reef my sobriety hobby, so it means a lot to me. When I started out a couple year ago I ran into nothing but conflicting advice and information, your vidios helped sort that all out, thanx.
I just purchased a trigger triton 44 from you and now it's time to make a decision on fuge light. From what I've read in this thread I don't think I can get a h380 high enough from the top of the fuge to not burn my Cheto. Do you think the zetlight e200 will produce the same par as the kessil if it was mounted closer?

Back