The BRS 160: 10 Weeks of the Triton Method | BRStv Investigates

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Viner87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any news guys? When’s the update coming out? This week :praying [emoji4]

Diego.28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely amazing thread and video. I have seen the term "Triton method" being thrown around a lot, but was still unsure of the exact details of it. This was immensely educational, and the idea is really interesting. It's hard to figure out what actually works best for reef tanks since all of them are so different, and changes should really be given months, not weeks, to be adjusted to. Can't wait to see more!

jeffmr4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all your work on these products, ideas and investigations. I would definitely be interested in more investigating the Triton method and how it does in the long term.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS how does triton method compare to ATI dosing and testing? Maybe a comparison of the 2

I can't say we've implemented the ATI version to the same degree that we are currently following the Triton Method. This would be interesting to compare and really cool for an experiment for someone to try out and share their results! I don't see us chasing down this one specifically, but I wouldn't be surprised if a fellow reefer ended up trying both out.

-Randy

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say we've implemented the ATI version to the same degree that we are currently following the Triton Method. This would be interesting to compare and really cool for an experiment for someone to try out and share their results! I don't see us chasing down this one specifically, but I wouldn't be surprised if a fellow reefer ended up trying both out.

-Randy

Good point! Thanks for the reply

Littlebit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having followed BRS since I began the hobby, I've come to hold them to a certain standard for open-mindedness and a lack of bias when exploring different methods and techniques. While I still think much of the information in this video is fantastic and sheds a whole new light on reef keeping, I'm getting a sense in the more recent videos of a forceful push for certain products that go against those said principles.

I love the idea of no water changes and I think everyone does but the argument in this video seems very much one sided. I see the two different methods in very much the same light as two-part and a calcium reactor. Either method cannot be generalized as better than the other but rather the demand of a given system will make one choice more or less feasible than the other. In the case of water changes, I'll use my Red Sea Reefer 250 as an example. For the same cost as three Triton tests, I can buy three buckets of Red Sea salt. With those three buckets, I can do 10% weekly water changes and three consecutive 50% water changes twice over the course of a year. Surely, this argument only becomes stronger as your system volume decreases and weaker as the volume increases. Additionally, I think something can always be said for simplicity. While more laborious, water changes remains one of the simplest methods of obtaining NSW parameters and performing a system reset. To conclude, I feel this video and the others highlighting the Triton really fail to mention these points and bring a well-balanced educational video to the saltwater community that upholds BRS. I hope I don't sound too bitter or reluctant to change and would love others if of the same opinion to speak up and invite those who disagree to chime in.

As always, thanks for reading!

He never said one method was better than the other. He hasn't even ran the triton method long enough to know if "he" likes it better or not.
He is not doing this because he didn't like the Zeovit method. He is investigating "this" method, just like he investigated the Zeovit method he was running for 2 years. For all he knows he may come to think the triton method is garbage or the best to have ever existed. So, in parting, of course this video was one sided. He is testing the no water change triton method and in which he needs more time to run those tests.
Also, if water changes work for you, and keep everything stable, why are you worried about it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)

waxhawreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it is a business, I’m sure they don’t sell anything that they don’t make a profit on, unique corals has been selling triton for years before BRS, but it probably wasn’t readily available or too expensive to sell it themselves, I know map equipment doesn’t go on sale but BRS still buys them cheaper and makes a profit, if u go to ur lfs and offer cash , u can always buy ecotech products for around $30 off the list price, no tax, my lfs even sells Red Sea tanks 25% off everyday!!

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it is a business, I’m sure they don’t sell anything that they don’t make a profit on

BRS shows, chooses, and even praises products all the time in their videos that they don’t even sell while at the same time have other products in those categories they do. Two come to mind immediately - the tanks in the ULM series and the Philips CoralCare light.

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally hooked up my IceCap controllers to my two Gyre 150's. It's been 10 minutes and I already love being able to adjust their programming from within Fusion.
To start, I've cut-pasted in the profiles as provided in the update video (didn't find the shared scheme till after I'd done that). Works good - yay; much better. But I've got each Gyre taking up two variable-speed ports, so I can control direction as well... Has there been anything done in this regard on the BRS 160? If so; care to share any new code here? If not; is there a reason this would not be a good thing to look into?

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally hooked up my IceCap controllers to my two Gyre 150's. It's been 10 minutes and I already love being able to adjust their programming from within Fusion.
To start, I've cut-pasted in the profiles as provided in the update video (didn't find the shared scheme till after I'd done that). Works good - yay; much better. But I've got each Gyre taking up two variable-speed ports, so I can control direction as well... Has there been anything done in this regard on the BRS 160? If so; care to share any new code here? If not; is there a reason this would not be a good thing to look into?

Unfortunately we've removed the Gyres from the Apex as one of our IceCap interfaces stopped working. Since they seem to be in a transition period for those interfaces, we didn't have a replacement so we are back to the Advanced Controller. We'll take a look at this when we get them connected again though. :)

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. I picked up all of my units used. I'm a little bit concerned about said transition period, but figure that the current unit does what I need, so should be good enough to keep me happy... I hope. :)

Robert (Bearclawws)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would any of you guys have a rough estimate of what it might cost to run the Triton method on, approximately, a 400 gallon system? I'm sure that might be tough to answer being its most likely dependant on bio load but perhaps some one can toss me an example?

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would any of you guys have a rough estimate of what it might cost to run the Triton method on, approximately, a 400 gallon system? I'm sure that might be tough to answer being its most likely dependant on bio load but perhaps some one can toss me an example?

That's got to be one of the hardest questions to answer about the Triton Method, as every tank and each person's coral choices are going to be vastly different, meaning that consumption amounts of the Core7 elements are also going to be vastly different. If it's any consolation, we dose about 50mL of each 1, 2, 3a, 3b component on a daily schedule; each of which come in 1000mL bottles or 10L jugs.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.4%
Back