OP
OP
C

Cornflake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Cornflake and @Tokash23 - I think you both said you use lids on your fish, er cookie jars, so how do you feed the airline into the tank without constricting it? (I'm assuming the lids are the typical hermetically sealing type).
I put silicone in the top of the jar and on the lid. Then I cut out just enough space for the heater wire and airline tube.

Last edited:

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Cornflake and @Tokash23 - I think you both said you use lids on your fish, er cookie jars, so how do you feed the airline into the tank without constricting it? (I'm assuming the lids are the typical hermetically sealing type).
I actually pulled the ring off the lid and it just rests ontop of the heater cord and airline tube. It isnt heavy enough to constrict flow at all. Although putting down some silicon might not be a bad idea.

Blitz7737

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WHOOOO PICO JAR CLUB! Both your tanks look awesome. NICE WORK!! Definitely gonna keep a watch on this thread for all the good learnings. We really want a goby/pistol pair, but haven't found any good sources to say there are ones that stay small enough to not be in a bad space in a little 2 gallon. ;Cat

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Excellent pico tanks!!!

Really inspiring to those that think you every piece if equipment and a huge tank to keep a reef!

OP
OP
C

Cornflake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Cornflake and @Tokash23, what are you guys using for water flow in your jars? We are rocking dual tiny bubblers, but curious how you guys are stirring up your water column. :p
I use an air stone and I bought a $3 pump off of ebay that is powered by usb. The air stone used to be enough until I added hammers.

OP
OP
C

Cornflake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WHOOOO PICO JAR CLUB! Both your tanks look awesome. NICE WORK!! Definitely gonna keep a watch on this thread for all the good learnings. We really want a goby/pistol pair, but haven't found any good sources to say there are ones that stay small enough to not be in a bad space in a little 2 gallon. ;Cat
Thank yoooou! I’d LOVE a goby/pistol pair but I feel like the jar would have to built just for them with a lot more sand. It wouldn’t work in my jar.

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great sheesh wish i could get on your level. I got lazy for a few weeks and havent really done much with mine. I have 1 small frag of zoas and they just dont seem to want to open up not sure what the deal is there. Seeing yours makes me want to go spend a bunch of money on frags though thats for sure.

Joem820

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I have been thinking about trying my hand at a cookie jar tank for a little while now. Could someone either walk me through how they set their's up or point me to a guide with more specific details on how to get one started? I decided that since my big tank that was supposed to be a reef didn't pan out, by way of my regal angel eating everything, I would try something a little bit different but just don't really know how to get started with a nontraditional tank setup like this.

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I have been thinking about trying my hand at a cookie jar tank for a little while now. Could someone either walk me through how they set their's up or point me to a guide with more specific details on how to get one started? I decided that since my big tank that was supposed to be a reef didn't pan out, by way of my regal angel eating everything, I would try something a little bit different but just don't really know how to get started with a nontraditional tank setup like this.
Setup is actually pretty simple getting it to thrive like Cornflakes is another story. Mine is pretty stagnant at the moment nothing growing and not much to look at. All i did for setup was the jar and air pump and air stone and a heater. No mechanical filtration of any kind and the air pump serves as water flow. I keep a lid on it to keep evaporation to a minimum and do weekly 100% water changes and thats sort of it. Oh an amazon 38 par led for light. All in all i am less than a 100 bucks in materials to set it up.

this is a nice read i know it isnt a pico but same sort of premise.

Joem820

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setup is actually pretty simple getting it to thrive like Cornflakes is another story. Mine is pretty stagnant at the moment nothing growing and not much to look at. All i did for setup was the jar and air pump and air stone and a heater. No mechanical filtration of any kind and the air pump serves as water flow. I keep a lid on it to keep evaporation to a minimum and do weekly 100% water changes and thats sort of it. Oh an amazon 38 par led for light. All in all i am less than a 100 bucks in materials to set it up.

this is a nice read i know it isnt a pico but same sort of premise.
So you mention the 38 par light, would it be ok to substitute a kessil a80 tuna blue that i have lying around or would that be too much light for this tank?

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you mention the 38 par light, would it be ok to substitute a kessil a80 tuna blue that i have lying around or would that be too much light for this tank?
I believe i have seen people use those for picos i dont see why that wouldnt work.

OP
OP
C

Cornflake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the kessil would be perfect as long as you dial it in right. I’d start on the low end and very slowly bring up the pars. I have a few extra tips about starting a cookie jar tank. Add some sort of cushion to the lid. I used silicone. It would make as much noise, it helps with evaporation, and it’ll prevent the lid from chipping. Also, make sure your tank is 100% done cycling before you add anything. The bacteria is the only filtration you have. You want it to be able to keep up. You’re gonna wanna add stuff very slowly. After my cycle I added a frag every two weeks. As time passed I was able to add a little more at a time, but at first you really want to take it slow. I don’t recommend adding a fish unless you are very confident that everything is perfect. Also I don’t recommend any fish other than a clown or warpaint goby. I’ll admit I’m considering starting a new tank for him. I think he’s getting cramped in my jar. Also be careful with feeding coral. I used to direct feed heavily the morning of my water change. Good luck with your jar! I’m planning on starting a YouTube channel soon to document my tank and help others replicate it. I’ll be sure to share it when it’s all up and running.

Joem820

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the kessil would be perfect as long as you dial it in right. I’d start on the low end and very slowly bring up the pars. I have a few extra tips about starting a cookie jar tank. Add some sort of cushion to the lid. I used silicone. It would make as much noise, it helps with evaporation, and it’ll prevent the lid from chipping. Also, make sure your tank is 100% done cycling before you add anything. The bacteria is the only filtration you have. You want it to be able to keep up. You’re gonna wanna add stuff very slowly. After my cycle I added a frag every two weeks. As time passed I was able to add a little more at a time, but at first you really want to take it slow. I don’t recommend adding a fish unless you are very confident that everything is perfect. Also I don’t recommend any fish other than a clown or warpaint goby. I’ll admit I’m considering starting a new tank for him. I think he’s getting cramped in my jar. Also be careful with feeding coral. I used to direct feed heavily the morning of my water change. Good luck with your jar! I’m planning on starting a YouTube channel soon to document my tank and help others replicate it. I’ll be sure to share it when it’s all up and running.
Sounds good, I don't have any desire to keep fish in such a small tank unless it was an emergency with one of my other tanks. As far as stocking goes, I figured it would be a long term waiting game, with the last tank I started I didn't add anything except cocktail shrimp to feed bacteria for at least 3 months, and then only one thing (fish or coral) every other week. Thanks for the encouragement, I went to my LFS looking for a nano heater and air pump. When I got there, they didn't have anything and they said that the concept would never work unless I added an ATO and sump to combat the evaporation and temperature swings. He wasn't trying to sell me anything, he just honestly believes that nano and pico tanks are not a thing that people should be attempting lol.

OP
OP
C

Cornflake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good, I don't have any desire to keep fish in such a small tank unless it was an emergency with one of my other tanks. As far as stocking goes, I figured it would be a long term waiting game, with the last tank I started I didn't add anything except cocktail shrimp to feed bacteria for at least 3 months, and then only one thing (fish or coral) every other week. Thanks for the encouragement, I went to my LFS looking for a nano heater and air pump. When I got there, they didn't have anything and they said that the concept would never work unless I added an ATO and sump to combat the evaporation and temperature swings. He wasn't trying to sell me anything, he just honestly believes that nano and pico tanks are not a thing that people should be attempting lol.
Pffft show them our tanks and ask where's my sump? The lid does all the work for keeping evaporation in. In fact, it actually kinda works like a large skimmer too. You get a slow build up of gunk on the bottom of the lid. I used to wipe it off but my snails LOVE to snack on it so I leave it starts to look bad bad. I got my air pump and my 50 watt heater from petco. I've never had an issue with temperature.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back