The Dino’s! Ahhh

JackerVenom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay everyone so I recently moved and of course replaced my sand and everything was good! But after a month (last week) I noticed some stringy algae!
I had noticed some before but as of last week I really noticed it.
Unfortunately I had to leave for a week and had a suspicion it was Dino’s (since I had them before) so I removed all my media before I left to raise nutrients levels.
My UV sterilizer was at my destination I left to for a week so I picked it up and brought it to my place.
Today I tested 0.006 ppm phosphate and 0-1 nitrates confirming dinos.
My question is I have 2 bottles (one of neo-phos) and (one neo-netro). They are unopened and had got them about 2 years ago. I would like to dose these now to raise my levels but don’t wanna kill my coral from shock. What increment of ppm should I go up by a day?
I also have fresh micro bacter 7 as of today that I will be dosing to help.
The neo phos (1ml = 0.25ppm) and nitro (1ml= 7.5ppm)

8D48A85E-0439-4D04-B0F4-19F66B680427.jpeg AB097200-48DA-490A-8E4C-94C42BD826DA.jpeg 7E3737F6-19FA-4AEC-BA24-A26F85134004.jpeg

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your UV will do a lot of the work for you once you run it for a little while.

That being said, it sounds like you understand the situation. In basic terms, you're going through some of the algae cycle that relatively new tanks go through. Personally I would go light on the additives if you didn't use them before. If your old feeding/nutrient practices worked, I imagine you will reach equilibrium with the same practices again. I can't say how much you should add tbh, but I recommend you approach it gingerly. Just my 2 cents though. I'll be watching for other replies.

Miguel Negron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s crazy is I did the same thing as you. Moved and replaced the sand and the same exact thing happened. Honestly, I cleaned the entire tank and I just restarted my tank with no corals and new rocks/sand.

Okay everyone so I recently moved and of course replaced my sand and everything was good! But after a month (last week) I noticed some stringy algae!
I had noticed some before but as of last week I really noticed it.
Unfortunately I had to leave for a week and had a suspicion it was Dino’s (since I had them before) so I removed all my media before I left to raise nutrients levels.
My UV sterilizer was at my destination I left to for a week so I picked it up and brought it to my place.
Today I tested 0.006 ppm phosphate and 0-1 nitrates confirming dinos.
My question is I have 2 bottles (one of neo-phos) and (one neo-netro). They are unopened and had got them about 2 years ago. I would like to dose these now to raise my levels but don’t wanna kill my coral from shock. What increment of ppm should I go up by a day?
I also have fresh micro bacter 7 as of today that I will be dosing to help.
The neo phos (1ml = 0.25ppm) and nitro (1ml= 7.5ppm)

8D48A85E-0439-4D04-B0F4-19F66B680427.jpeg AB097200-48DA-490A-8E4C-94C42BD826DA.jpeg 7E3737F6-19FA-4AEC-BA24-A26F85134004.jpeg

OP
OP
JackerVenom

JackerVenom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your UV will do a lot of the work for you once you run it for a little while.

That being said, it sounds like you understand the situation. In basic terms, you're going through some of the algae cycle that relatively new tanks go through. Personally I would go light on the additives if you didn't use them before. If your old feeding/nutrient practices worked, I imagine you will reach equilibrium with the same practices again. I can't say how much you should add tbh, but I recommend you approach it gingerly. Just my 2 cents though. I'll be watching for other replies.
I added freshwater plant fertilizer the first time every day slowly because that's all I had but I don't have that additive so I am hoping I can replace it with these Brightwell products this time instead.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 78 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.1%
Back