Which dragonet is the best in your experience and opinion?

• Total voters
OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9F7C36B0-98E0-4D40-9199-1747D57572EB.jpeg

Cant get a pic from the back. This is an older pic but noticed my spotted’s belly is really plump on both sides. I know it’s good that they are fed well but want to make sure that’s not a sign of something bad. Swollen Look. I’ve put a ton of pods in this tank but haven’t in 6+ months. Always active patrolling the rocks. I’ll try and get a pic from the back. Looks pretty obese…
Woah that is an adorable obese dragonet!

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do CB Mandarins still need a sand bed? I heard many still don’t eat prepared food which makes me nervous about trying one.
You are much more likely to have a CB eat prepared and if not it’s not too hard to train them, but I’m not sure about the sand bed.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second picture is a captive bred...?

What did he eat when you got him?
I got them last April from @Biota_Marine and they ate everything from pellets to frozen. My main foods are TDO B2 pellets and frozen PE Calanus.
They came in absolutely tiny as you can see in the first photo but are now many times bigger. Saying that the male is both a lot bigger and prettier.

whatsuptank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to start a dragonet war or anything but which dragonet is your personal favorite based on your opinions experience and difficulty. If you chose other please reply to this thread and explain which and/or why. Also if you have some photos and experience to share of your own that would be super cool. Thanks is advance to everyone who votes and responds :)
I've had my Mandrian for at least two years, he took a month to transition to frozen foods, mainly mysis shrimp and now lives a life of luxury cruising along the rock and caverns. Truly a beautiful fish.

NanoMan16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so… Mandarins are one of the most beautiful fish in the trade in my opinion. I still have to give it up for my spotted. His name is champ and he eats any and everything. Mysis, flakes, pellets, fresh, frozen, pods he’s like a Honey Badger Champ don’t care.
6980D829-E9D3-478F-B093-B7FCD064DB37.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept blue mandarins, target mandarins, scooters, and ruby reds in the past. I currently keep a male blue mandarin in my 75 gallon and a male target mandarin in my 47 gallon. Of the 2, the target mandarin is more bold, always right out front vs hiding more in the shadows. Both are wild caught, and eat frozen food well, but the target took it immediately, vs it taking a few months for the blue mandarin to do so.

The target is my favorite of the 2, though the wifey prefers the blue mandarin. I think the target is very underrated and often overlooked by people immediately entranced by the blue mandarins colors.

I'll probably keep a ruby red again in another system, just letting it get old enough for the pods to get better established.

20230225_111204.jpg
20230225_111216.jpg
20230225_111219.jpg

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like all dragonettes and find all of them the easiest, least maintenance fish we normally keep. As long as your tank is set up for them and has some age to it. I think the ruby reds are the most colorful and you immediately see them when you look at the tank. I have 3 of them.

Like mandarins, they constantly spawn.

Mandarins have been in the hobby much longer and they are very similar but a little bigger.

I also have 3 of them.

They also constantly spawn

These guys are not very colorful and I only keep one of them so I don't know how easy they spawn.

I know the mandarins live at least 10 years but the ruby reds don't seem to live that long. Maybe 4 or 5 years but maybe thats just me. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like all dragonettes and find all of them the easiest, least maintenance fish we normally keep. As long as your tank is set up for them and has some age to it. I think the ruby reds are the most colorful and you immediately see them when you look at the tank. I have 3 of them.

Mandarins have been in the hobby much longer and they are very similar but a little bigger.

I also have 3 of them.

These guys are not very colorful and I only keep one of them so I don't know how easy they spawn.

I know the mandarins live at least 10 years but the ruby reds don't seem to live that long. Maybe 4 or 5 years but maybe thats just me. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Wow so many dragonets! Those ruby reds really are beautiful and eye catching!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are also cheap. They came down a lot in the last couple of years. I may get a few more of them but they have to be females because males fight.

They are certainly eye catching.

I forgot, I also have one of these.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I also have 3 of them.

45D14F67-EAEF-414A-938C-52E508243E96.jpeg

Ok , mine has that plump look from the back. I was hoping it’s because she’s is eating well and not something bad. This put me at ease.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back