Scooter blenny / Ocellated dragonet gender?

Elbereth

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 22, 2021
Messages
185
Reaction score
79
Location
Toronto
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having a hard time sexing this scooter blenny. The top fin seems taller than those of females I've seen in pictures but not quite as tall and showy as those of the males. The fin isn't fully extended in this picture but it's the best one I could get.

20250720_132558.jpg


I've never kept this scooter species before, let alone had a pair of them to compare to, but I'm comparing to this image for example.
images-1.jpeg


Please share your opinion if you have experience with this species. Thanks!
 
I'm having a hard time sexing this scooter blenny. The top fin seems taller than those of females I've seen in pictures but not quite as tall and showy as those of the males. The fin isn't fully extended in this picture but it's the best one I could get.

20250720_132558.jpg


I've never kept this scooter species before, let alone had a pair of them to compare to, but I'm comparing to this image for example.
images-1.jpeg


Please share your opinion if you have experience with this species. Thanks!
Definitely a male! I have these roaming around coral trays and I do it for a reason - they are excellent pest control. And their personality is even better.
 
Thanks! I hoped it was a female at first so I could form a pair eventually but oh well. Do your males not fight or they're in separate tanks?

Definitely agree on the personality! I've had red scooters before and they're so fun to watch. Only ever had males though - my LFS's suppliers almost never seem to get females of any dragonet species.
 
Thanks! I hoped it was a female at first so I could form a pair eventually but oh well. Do your males not fight or they're in separate tanks?

Definitely agree on the personality! I've had red scooters before and they're so fun to watch. Only ever had males though - my LFS's suppliers almost never seem to get females of any dragonet species.
Females can be a nightmare to source, I personally deal with 3 8x3 foot coral trays so don’t have a huge issue with aggression as they have space to get away from one another.
I currently only have 1 of the common scooters but have previously had 4-5 in total (spread over 3 trays - the 3rd is currently a large Angel & tang tank).
 
Nice! I want to be able to keep this one and a red scooter together in one tank eventually but it'll be way smaller than yours, just a 50g. (Of course only if they're both eating prepared foods well. This fella seems to even peck at pellets which I've heard of but never seen before.)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new