!!!THE DROOP-u-LING MAW!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YUCK!!!!!! :eek: Yeah, and I guess my next skimmer will be one of those.

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Psshh that's nothing;)
1473291997342.jpg

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Psshh that's nothing;)
1473291997342.jpg

I've never seen any of my skimmers build up a neck turd like that. Impressive that it holds it's form! This also a Deltec? Aquarium size/details?

I'll get maybe a 1/4" then my skimmer basically stops skimming.

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's advisable for skimmers to be oversized, so, what deltec would you personally recomend for a lightly stocked 90, with 14gal fuge? I will have money for one decent upgrade at end of the year and thinking of revamping my filtration. Planning for new sump and skimmer and renovating my overflow method. If all goes as planned that is.
Didn't know if there is honestly a "too big" skimmer or if just larger is better.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Pftt my bubble king pulls more skimmate than that and I don't even have it plugged in!

That may very well be so. Or, I find it very possible that you may have simply mistaken the bubble king for a toilet, (completely understandable) sat down on it and did your business. Thus explaining the deposits you've got in there:D

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I know it's advisable for skimmers to be oversized, so, what deltec would you personally recomend for a lightly stocked 90, with 14gal fuge? I will have money for one decent upgrade at end of the year and thinking of revamping my filtration. Planning for new sump and skimmer and renovating my overflow method. If all goes as planned that is.
Didn't know if there is honestly a "too big" skimmer or if just larger is better.

Hi there,

Thanks for the post. On a 90 I'd go with the SCA1351. Or, you could step up a little to the 1455 and have some wiggle room and loose the fuge for sure if the primary purpose for it is nutrient reduction, although the 1455 would still he a little oversized on 90 gallons. With Deltec bigger is not better. Their ratings are pretty much spot on and going bigger will usually result in less consistent performance as the Skimmer "catches up" with the DOC load and struggles to hold a good head of foam in the neck. Not that it stops working, just that performance it stymied a little. Sticking within the ratings will provide the most satisfying Deltec Experience. I have learned this first hand.

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Adam! Will definitely look into them through your site. Appreciate the input, the fuge is actually for critter control and increase volume a bit at moment, but that may be able to be done away with depending on the sump I decide to go with. Currently having low nutrient issues as it stands and having to feed a little heavy to keep LPS and softie corals happy (an issue I just began and hope continues). If it does, you'll be the first one I give a shout to for some sticks. Been following your items a while now just never trusted myself with sps till recently. My garf bansai, green acro, and sunset millie test subjects all approve at the moment.

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol nah that looks like plain old neglect to me lol;) Good try though
Haha you are right,2 weeks worth of neglect. In my defense this was pre surgery and I couldn't bring myself to get off the couch lol.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Haha you are right,2 weeks worth of neglect. In my defense this was pre surgery and I couldn't bring myself to get off the couch lol.

its all good truly. That a pretty awesome deposit either way if you ask me

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what's actually in the cup? To me, it just looks like the bubble line is too low and the nastiness isn't making its way all the way to the cup? I mean, that's a lot of junk in the neck, but is the cup full too?

StephO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I don't know why I am still so fascinated by stuff like this, but every time I clean this thing I say to myself, "you gotta get a pic of that"

Well, today I did.

Folks, here is the neck of my hard working Deltec 1455 just before a thorough cleaning. I mean this "crap" is off the charts. Another week or two and she'd be closed up completely I'm sure. The deposits are thick and powdery

So, all you fans and believers of your beloved other skimmers. Do your necks look like this? I'm asking really! Lets see some pics. I want to see some proof!

Roll out the troll mobiles, call me an idiot, and put me in my Deltec loving place!

IMG_8715_zpszlpqjh66.jpg

IMG_8715-2_zpszffvlkn0.jpg
Looks just like mine! I consider the skimmer a must have. Seeing the results convinced me.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So what's actually in the cup? To me, it just looks like the bubble line is too low and the nastiness isn't making its way all the way to the cup? I mean, that's a lot of junk in the neck, but is the cup full too?

It sure is. I drain the cup every few days. Here is the very skimmer a few minutes ago after full cleaning yesterday. Back in business full force. In fact it didn't skip beat.

IMG_4225_zpss8eajfzz.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back