The DSR Method (Dutch Synthetic Reefing)

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny, I see iodine and strontium on there, and part of the plan, yet some people on this site say 'I've seen no evidence to suggest that strontium/iodine is helpful'.

Care to comment on that? Did you ever try the methodology without dosing of those 2 elements?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny, I see iodine and strontium on there, and part of the plan, yet some people on this site say 'I've seen no evidence to suggest that strontium/iodine is helpful'.

Care to comment on that? Did you ever try the methodology without dosing of those 2 elements?

I too would be interested to see any careful experiments where the dosing was started or stopped for just these additives and the effects observed, when no other changes were made. :)

As Kungpaoshizi alludes, I have seen no convincing evidence overall that supplemental strontium and iodine are useful for most organisms that we keep, despite many people using them. IME, neither were useful additives, and many people have seen the same lack of effect when they stopped dosing.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I signed up as well and downloaded the spread sheet. It in not the clearest to understand. Some parts do not have english, but that is minor. If I just want to dose iron for phosphate control on a 1100 liter system how much should I dose?
not much.

Dr Randy Homes-Farley (and I) dissolves a ferris-gluconate capsule in an old soda bottle then adds a capful each week or so.

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen no convincing evidence overall that supplemental strontium and iodine are useful for most organisms

See that's the thing though, I've seen at least a few articles that even merely, at the very least, suggest, it is. Though our knowledge of the organisms is not mature enough to understand why. Go back to that strontium thread we had recently, read that last link that talks about bio-composites.

But to the matter at hand, perhaps I'll post on the DSR forum as it will be more appropriate because I imagine there's a lot more individuals to get numbers from. After all Randy, we're both only 2 individuals in a great big wide world.. :) (thanks for chiming in though, I wondered if you were lurking about! :p)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See that's the thing though, I've seen at least a few articles that even merely, at the very least, suggest, it is. Though our knowledge of the organisms is not mature enough to understand why. Go back to that strontium thread we had recently, read that last link that talks about bio-composites.
)

There is no doubt that both strontium and iodine were heavily promoted by many people for many years as being useful. Many people still claim it. Many articles claim it.

People claiming it, and having convincing evidence are quite different matters. It is the latter that I have not seen, not a lack of people thinking it is useful.

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no doubt that both strontium and iodine were heavily promoted by many people for many years as being useful. Many people still claim it. Many articles claim it.

People claiming it, and having convincing evidence are quite different matters. It is the latter that I have not seen, not a lack of people thinking it is useful.

I was talking about the biological presence more so concerning that bio-composite article. Though it could go either way because we do not fully understand, I often wonder. It's tough to see 2 tangents, but usually unless it's stated otherwise, it's hard to see 'the coral might be wrong' when they're obviously so well at adapting. In my own experience, seeing a bone-white coral piece that came in on a macro algae shipment come back to life over the period of a year or so leaves me in awe of that fact.
Overall I see where you're coming from, but I guess I have less faith in human intellect vs how nature operates. Humans have been wrong in so many countless ways, I wish there were some other ways to validate one way or the other vs anecdotal evidence.

I find it curious though the guy has been doing near-zero water changes for 10 years. Obviously he's doing something right the rest of us have yet to comprehend.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was talking about the biological presence more so concerning that bio-composite article. Though it could go either way because we do not fully understand, I often wonder. It's tough to see 2 tangents, but usually unless it's stated otherwise, it's hard to see 'the coral might be wrong' when they're obviously so well at adapting. In my own experience, seeing a bone-white coral piece that came in on a macro algae shipment come back to life over the period of a year or so leaves me in awe of that fact.
Overall I see where you're coming from, but I guess I have less faith in human intellect vs how nature operates. Humans have been wrong in so many countless ways, I wish there were some other ways to validate one way or the other vs anecdotal evidence.

Well, since coral skeletons mostly acquire about the same amount of strontium as does abiotic precipitation under the same conditions, it looks like pure inorganic chemistry of ion substitution into crystals to me, not nature optimizing structure.

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy your never allowed to leave these forums! It's the very reason I use this site the most! I always learn something from your knowledge and posts!

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy your never allowed to leave these forums! It's the very reason I use this site the most! I always learn something from your knowledge and posts!

Agreed, he is one of the most scrupulous that keeps me thinking! Sucks though nobody has real answers as to the mechanisms at play.

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
>MFW We figure out Glenn drinks all the solutions then pees into his tank.

That's why he wont tell us his final secret.

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glennf is not selling anything in regard to his DSR method. It's free which is awesome. Others have possibly taken from it and selling...

Agree or not agree with his methods I don't believe he's in violation of anything on this forum.

To put it into right perspective:
- I myself don't sell anything to reefers
- I developed and shared the method for people to learn.
- i kept concentration and formula's to myself for to safeguard the method from being abused and be blamed for it.
- reverse engineering is possible with proper knowledge, but for the responsibility is for those who implement it.
- to ensure the implementation i cooperated with dutch LFS and make it easily available. There is a dealer network in holland.
- embracing LFS in this proces is the way to go, because they have personal contact with the reefers and they should be the role model.
- for now i don't have any ambition to do more than development.
- i develop and support my method as i see fit to improve overal knowledge sharing.

Last edited:

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice vids too Glenn, thanks for sharing!
Not too many around with tanks that look that great let alone can say they've gone the length of time without water changes! ☺ (even the experts ;))

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just emailed myself! Excited to see how it works since I am very impressed with your tank!! :)

Thank you for sharing sir!

The past few days i added this section
All calculators together

1- DSR original calculator (DUTCH/ENG)
2- DSR 2.0 calculator (baseline dosing) dutch only
3- compact screen ppm calculator

Www. Dsrreefing.com/calculators

Last edited:
OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I signed up as well and downloaded the spread sheet. It in not the clearest to understand. Some parts do not have english, but that is minor. If I just want to dose iron for phosphate control on a 1100 liter system how much should I dose?

I made it more clear on the new Fe+ description.
Www.dsrreefing.com / supplements

Fe+ – Phosphate Remover.
Iron based liquid PO4 remover. Removes PO4 by precipitation and skimming. Watch animal behaviour when increase dosing. Do not overdose.

Maximum dosing: 0,75ml/100l = 0,15ppm
Start dosing: 0,15ml/100l = 0,03ppm (increase with same step for 5 days to reach maximum)

Or bij using the (mobile screen suitable) ppm converter to do the math
Www.dsrreefing.com/calculators
4e9069a32486cc392f6a5376fba03f51.jpg

Startdosing for 1100 liters will be 1.65ml/d
Increase in same steps in 5 days to maximum dosing of 8,25ml (5x1.65)
Adjust dosing to control po4 level.
Use baseline dosing (0,03ppm) as trace element and for coloring.

Read this topic :
http://dsrreefing.nl/forum/index.php?topic=406.msg890.msg#890

Last edited:
Back