The DSR Method (Dutch Synthetic Reefing)

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Glenn,

I do fix corals, my urchin just liked to pick them up even epoxied! I'll redouble my efforts. As you may have noticed, I have some precipitation (CA Carbonate). Trying to figure out why as my Mag was 1500 and it still seemed to precipitate. What is your Calcium dosing schedule?

-Tom
I don't have that problem with reefcement.

How does your precipitation look like?

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Glenn,

I do fix corals, my urchin just liked to pick them up even epoxied! I'll redouble my efforts. As you may have noticed, I have some precipitation (CA Carbonate). Trying to figure out why as my Mag was 1500 and it still seemed to precipitate. What is your Calcium dosing schedule?

-Tom
This is a profile of the tank
https://www.aquariumstats.com/tankProfile.php?tid=81

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have that problem with reefcement.

How does your precipitation look like?

Precipitation looks like tiny white dots which cover the back of the aquarium and the underside of rocks. It's pretty hard pebbly like, calcium carbonate.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello glennf. I'd like to ask a question regarding strontium.
What changes would you expect to see if you ceased dosing it ?

Cheers mate.

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Precipitation looks like tiny white dots which cover the back of the aquarium and the underside of rocks. It's pretty hard pebbly like, calcium carbonate.
Strange...
I think you should consider evaluating your testkist with a reference .

For that i developed the DSRreference.
It a great eyeopener for many reefers

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello glennf. I'd like to ask a question regarding strontium.
What changes would you expect to see if you ceased dosing it ?

Cheers mate.
I am not sure.
Before i started dosing K, I, Sr, Carbon, Fe i had frequent SPS crashes.
So when i deveolped DSR i started dosing those elements simultaneously.
That was a eyeopener, because my tank took of and i never had a SPS cash anymore since 2012.

Do i want to know what happens if i ommit Sr?
I am not sure i want to try that.[emoji6]

Many reefers want to understand or explain every phonemenon what goes on in the tank. Doing so forgetting what we are in it for. We want results and have time to enjoy it also.

If i have to crap in my tank to get result, i would[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. But lucky for everyone i do use some science and a lot of experimenting as backbone for my system[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Last edited:

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there @glennf. I bought a Salifert Boron test kit. I checked its accuracy against two seperate collections of natural seawater.
The tests returned readings of 18 drops of B-3 which gives a level of 9ppm Borium/Boron. This is around twice the natural level.
I don't believe the seawater is out, so it must be the salifert test kit.

Disappointing :(

Appreciate your comment regarding this

cheers mate.

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there @glennf. I bought a Salifert Boron test kit. I checked its accuracy against two seperate collections of natural seawater.
The tests returned readings of 18 drops of B-3 which gives a level of 9ppm Borium/Boron. This is around twice the natural level.
I don't believe the seawater is out, so it must be the salifert test kit.

Disappointing :(

Appreciate your comment regarding this

cheers mate.
This usually happens when the test is old.
But unless you use a labgrade reference you're never sure. Collected water can always have some contaminant which can affect readings.

In EZDSR we don't do regular measurements for K,B,I,Sr anymore... testing Fe and Mn are also discarded.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This usually happens when the test is old.
But unless you use a labgrade reference you're never sure. Collected water can always have some contaminant which can affect readings.

In EZDSR we don't do regular measurements for K,B,I,Sr anymore... testing Fe and Mn are also discarded.
The use by date is Nov this year, not that out of date.

If your not doing regular tests for K,B,I,Sr, Fe & Mn how do you know there not above recommended levels?

cheers mate

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The use by date is Nov this year, not that out of date.

If your not doing regular tests for K,B,I,Sr, Fe & Mn how do you know there not above recommended levels?

cheers mate

Once opened and in contact with air the boron kit only last a few months... (many experienced that)

Because EZ is derived from experience.
Long term testing of myself and many DSR reefers showed there is no buildup of any of those elements.

Occassional testing is always allowed to keep track, but it's not mandatory for the method.

You don't need all parameters to be spot on to have a thriving reeftank. You just need to know how to keep them within healthy range.
The beter your skill to keep them stable, the better your results will get.

It's all about the skill .
If i get to drive louis hamilton F1 car , that don't make me a world champion. I probably would end up crashing at the first corner.
But learning from the best and getting the right stuff would help a lot to reach my optimal performance.

Last edited:

Matevz Savarin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Glennf. I have 450 neto mixed reef tank, not doing wc for 6 months. I am trying to do your dsr as much as possible. One question my po4 was 0 with salifert,for 3 months, now I ordered hanna phosphatus. I dosed kh2po4 and po4 is now 0.04. Question is that my 2 of 5 milkas has stn. Was to low po4 responsible for this? Others parameters are ok, by the book. I will start dosing other elements from dsr, but at this moment I still have a, b, c and kalium from aquaforest. I am using ca reactor and adding magnesium when drops to 1250 every 2 months. My nitrates are allways 1. Ph is 8-8.1 others coralls are great looking. Greetings from Slovenia!

91BAB61B-CCC9-4CC5-B189-F8D5B784BCA8.jpeg

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stylopora pistilata is a very hardy coral.

This could be a PH or lighting issue.

When not don't water changes you need to follow all rules including using pure products. Some prodructs may have elements added for that program.

Do you have a powerfilter?

Read more about the required basic technics
http://www.DSRreefing.com/technics
5a54b2daad5bd59b9a5f9f0a7b211aa7.jpg

Last edited:

Matevz Savarin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MR. Glennf, what an honor that you responded to me!
Yes powerfilter was first thing I added when going dsr, changing it twice a week. Ph is stable 8-8.1 at night I have cheto lights on. Also t5 ati bulbs are one month old. I have read all your dsr articles.
Hire in Slovenia no one is going dsr.. well I am slowly. I will get dsr elements, tests I have all only potassium test kit is hard to get.. for now till depleted I am adding abc, but ca reactor I will keep...ca and alk are rock solid all the time. Time will tell...

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stylopora pistilata is a very hardy coral.

This could be a PH or lighting issue.

When not don't water changes you need to follow all rules including using pure products. Some prodructs may have elements added for that program.

Do you have a powerfilter?

Read more about the required basic technics
http://www.DSRreefing.com/technics
5a54b2daad5bd59b9a5f9f0a7b211aa7.jpg
What is the power filter for? Do you mean a canister filter or a hang on back?

Matevz Savarin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Power filter is just hose with driled holes in it, wraped in finest filter material and connected to return pump. All polution is stoped there. As I connected first time my skimmer allmost stoped skimming that powerful this genious stuff is:) I was using it also before in malawi tank and water was cristal clear..BUT you have to exchange filter material regularry that is a MUST.

image.jpg

Matevz Savarin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Power filter is just hose with driled holes in it, wraped in finest filter material and connected to return pump. All polution is stoped there. As I connected first time my skimmer allmost stoped skimming that powerful this genious stuff is:) I was using it also before in malawi tank and water was cristal clear..BUT you have to exchange filter material regularry that is a MUST.

image.jpg

image.jpg

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh so like filter socks or pads but on the return pump.

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MR. Glennf, what an honor that you responded to me!
Yes powerfilter was first thing I added when going dsr, changing it twice a week. Ph is stable 8-8.1 at night I have cheto lights on. Also t5 ati bulbs are one month old. I have read all your dsr articles.
Hire in Slovenia no one is going dsr.. well I am slowly. I will get dsr elements, tests I have all only potassium test kit is hard to get.. for now till depleted I am adding abc, but ca reactor I will keep...ca and alk are rock solid all the time. Time will tell...

No problem, it's always nice to help reefers get out of problems.
What is your tank size and what bulbs are you using?
Use https://aquariumstats.com to share your tank information. This is a very helpfull tool written by a DSR user/volunteer.
By sharing all your tank specs we can give you advice how to improve.

Nowadays many choose the EZ system because of the easy of use.

FullDSR is often choosen by those who have time for spare and love to mix the products themselves.

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back