The errors of water testing and more

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this may be "duh" for a lot of people out there but I wanted to post this because I've been shocked at how many people don't know this (Some of whom have been my friends and even LFS people who should know better). Disclaimer: While there is some cross over for digital test users, for the most part this is aimed at people who use color tests.

API (for example but not excluding other liquid tests) gets a lot of flack about not being accurate (how close the reading is to the true or accept value). I've used API for years and I've tested it against Red Sea and safe alert and had very similar results. Since there is no shared "base line" for any of these tests (except the color chart they give and even that has a margin of error) then the most you can hope for on any test is precision (how close the measurement of the same item are to one another).
Okay here are some of the basic things I have seen when dealing with tests that require reagents of any kind. (Again this will be a "duh" moment for a lot of people but I've had friends who've been surprised they should do this and I'm shocked at how few (almost none that I know of) test kits have instructions regarding this. I've actually called companies and asked at what temp the stuff should be stored. They've said room temp, but also admit sometimes these boxes sit in shipment at unknown temps. I've also had discussions with a chemist friend who has stated the importance of doing these kinds of steps.

1: Temperature. The storage temperature of your test kit can affect its accuracy, precision and longevity. Room temperature seems to be the best storage. Letting it sit in your hot car after purchase (you run into the mall and leave your package in the trunk that sorta thing), shippers letting it sit in a hot truck, store storing it in a non climate controlled storage room, can (I'd almost wager will) affect the contents of the test.

2: Preparation:

A: This is sometimes hard to remember. You are performing a scientific test that needs as few errors as possible. This means prepare your area. Make sure it's clean and free of stuff that might get in your way, get in your test, etc. All tests for each substance are best done if they are done multiple times at the same time. I usually do 2-3 vial tests simultaneously of each test (yes the same brand test and the same substance) but only one chemical test at a time. I.e. don't do phosphate until you've completed the nitrate. This reduces crossover contamination and simple confusion. And one test on my RODI water as a "base line". This way, I can compare results and if you missed something and made a mistake (one too many drops, not all of a drop, etc) that you didn't notice you have a back up. If all your tests come back identical then you've got a pretty good chance you did them right. If they don't then you should retest.

B: Wash your hands. Disposable gloves would be better, but at least wash your hands before and after each test and anytime you are going to come into contact with your tank or a whole new set of chemicals (like you do nitrate then phosphate or whatever).

3: Contaminants:

A: vials should be washed between each use (rinsed is sufficient in my experience) and before each test it should be rinsed again then "rinsed" again in the salt water you plan on testing. This prevents droplets of clean water from affecting your test. Many of these tests are using 2-5 ML of water. A few drops can affect the outcome. When storing vials leave them uncapped and turned over so dust and other particulates don't get on the inside. Vials that have become discolored should be disposed of.

B: DO NOT use your finger as a "lid". I kid you NOT. I have seen LFS employees do this. They cover the end with their finger and "mix" the test tube contents. Your skin is acidic not to mention all the other effects your body oil will have on the chemicals or the chemicals of one test affecting another. On top of that these chemicals are toxic and some (I don't know which) could even be carcinogenic. Your skin absorbs. DON'T DO THIS PLEASE.

C: If you use a syringe (with a plunger), use a new one EVERY SINGLE TIME. Those little rubber plugs on those syringes absorb/collect stuff. Continuous use of the same syringe could contaminate your test. Remember, it only takes a small amount of contaminant to affect the results since you're dealing with such a small amount of fluid. This includes your salt water. Remember you're testing for chemicals, those chemicals could build up in your syringe. Washing it, IMHO isn't good enough. The rubber plunger is the issue. It not only has a seam between it and the plastic, it can form tiny cracks after just a few uses, will have small pores, etc, that can and will collect residue and affect a test. For example, you wash the plunger under your tap water and your tap water contains chlorine. You have a chance for residue to form thus could affect (however slight) your test.

3: Setting up the test:

A: Shake your bottles of liquid reagents no matter the test. I don't mean a ten second wimpy shake, I mean a good minute of vigorous shaking (unless the pamphlet states others wise--and yes read the directions). Many of these vials have fluids that may separate. When they separate guess what, the test comes back incorrect. If you have not been shaking your bottles then you need to throw away the test and get a new one. Remember, separation. Once the fluid separates you can't rely on the test because now there are different amounts of reagent components in the bottle. Bottles with really thick liquid should be shaken even longer. I'm not kidding, this is important. Also shake your bottles in between tests. Like if I do 3 tests on Nitrates, when I go to the 2nd test I re-shake the bottle because I have no idea how long it takes stuff to settle and 30 seconds to a minute might make a difference in accuracy and precision.

B: Pay very close attention to the amount of water in your test tube. Remember, we're using tiny doses. To have the correct amount of water in a test tube (and I have not seen this info in an instruction sheet unless it's been recently added or I missed it) you need to go by the MENISCUS. If you don't know what that is, I'm sure you've noticed how water curves in the test tube? To have the correct amount, you need to have the bottom of that curve at the line. Having just the top of the edges where the water curves or the top of the curve at the line means you have too little. Having the bottom of that curve with a gap between the bottom and the line means too much. If you have to, get *disposable* syringes (these are cheap and can be purchase online from pet/vet supply companies like Vally vet, or A to Z, Lambert, etc) to pull up water and put it in the test tube rather than trying to dip the tube into your tank to collect the water. Disposable pipets are even better. Getting the right amount of water can greatly affect the results of your test results. "Close" isn't good enough. Again, this is a scientific chemical test, you cannot have accuracy or precision on any level if you're sloppy.

C: Pay very, very, VERY close attention to the amount of reagent (chemicals you're putting together) to perform the test. You're dealing with tiny droplets and the droplets themselves already have a margin of error. Losing half a drop on the outside, the edge, having a drop form a bubble before going into the tube, affects your results. If you're not sure, guess what, start over. Again, sloppy doesn't produce precise/ accurate results.
In the case of safe alert some of the tests have powders which say "level spoon" (the spoon included in the test). Again, important to get that right. Personally I scoop up enough to make a mound, pack it down with the edge with a stiff card like a post card (throw away afterwards), then scrape off the excess back into the bottle leaving the edges clean and the powder the exact amount. If a chunk comes out of the middle (and sometimes it does if it's packed as is should be) I re-do. If I put the powder into the vial and part of it sticks to the side, I redo the test. Since the instructions say don't shake, there's no reliable way to get the powder off the side to mix.

D: Order:
Yes, the order in which you put the drops of the chemical in the water matter. If you mess up and put #2 in first, start over. If you mess up and don't shake between applications, start over.

E: Mix the amounts between applications. I noticed recently on the nitrate test (or maybe just finally noticed) API instructions now say to shake the vial for at least ONE MINUTE between the application of each chemical to the vial. I swear it did not say that in my first set of instructions I owned. If it says SWIRL (such as the Safe alert test and a few others) DON'T shake it, but do swirl, slowly and thoroughly for the time suggested, one way then the next (counter clockwise for 30 seconds clockwise for another thirty seconds until you've done the amount of needed time).

F: Between each application, before you pull off that lid, tap the vial with your finger. You know like you see in the old movies where they do that to a syringe. GENTLY so the tube won't break. This is to knock loose any droplets clinging to the lid so that you won't lose it when you open the lid. You will lose some to the edge of the tube (again why getting everything else is important) but this lessens the chance.

4: Time: The time suggested to let the vials sit is important. You're better to let it sit too long then too short but too long can still affect the results (I've learned this the hard way--oh I'll just do this while I'm waiting--thirty minutes later--oh crap). Set a timer, don't trust your "instincts."

Reading the test: This is where your "base line" test comes in handy.

A: Surfaces absorb and reflect light differently. The cards we use are laminated, the color is made from ink, on paper, and the solution you're reading is in glass and made from water. This will affect how light it reflected. The color you see in regards to an object, liquid, etc, is what's being reflected. It's important that you read these tests in a white light. Not your aquarium light, not near your aquarium light, and read all the tests under the same light. Put the tube against the white of the card. Objects around colors will affect how you perceive them. A yellow orange color may look more yellow next to something like red, or pink, where as next to blue or purple, more orange. You may think you're not putting it close to other colors, however the background of your room where you are reading the test matters. Hence, why it's important to make sure the vial is shielded by being placed against the card. Put the edge of the vial against the list of colors. Again, a white streak between them can affect how you perceive the color. Don't overlap or you will change the edge color of your vial. Look at it straight on so the light doesn't refract oddly or reflections of objects around you don't affect the color.
The type of light you read it by will also affect how the color test reads. Warm lights tend to have more yellow and that yellow will affect how your eye perceives the color. Personally I use and LED white light flash light or lamp light and hold the tube against the card under that. It's not perfect, but it's better than the standard room light.

When comparing, compare your baseline test first. If it's off, i.e. lighter or darker, you have an idea that the results stand the likelihood of being off in color, or that your card is discolored. This can be due to a printer running out of ink when they're being printed, faded by sun (protect your cards from sunlight), or even a bad batch of ink when the card was printed. If you have a drastic difference between your baseline color and the card color I'd advise re-doing the baseline test. If it's still off, then call the company and request a new card. DO NOT try and use a card off the internet. Different brand monitors show colors differently, two the dimness setting on your monitor affects the color, also you have no idea what kind of color settings were used when the card was scanned.

When doing the digital tests, believe it or not, you really should be doing it at least three times then take the average between the tests. There is a margin of error with digital tests. Depending on the circumstances sometimes it can be huge. If possible it would be great to compare the results of a test using different readers. Each reader is manufactured, there can be manufacturing differences that could affect your reading. Each of those readers has to be calibrated (not just by you but they have to be done correctly to have that baseline) and this is another place an error can happen.

To see how easy this happens use different thermometers to read the temp of your aquarium. Three different alcohol thermometers can read multiple degrees off. Digital thermometers are only accurate if they are calibrated correctly, but are usually more accurate overall. I've got some digital thermometers that read as much as 5 degrees different from alcohol and the same with alcohol to alcohol.
When this happens, I use an average or I invest in a professional level thermometer for something that requires accuracy like photo developing etc.

The stuff about reagents, temp, etc, all applies to those who use a digital reader. Your reagents that allow that digital reader to work, go bad, can be ruined by temperature, and if they colloids they will separate, therefore need to be mixed every time and if you haven't been mixing (shaking) them you need new reagents. Readers need to be cleaned, application bottles need to be wiped down.
All chemical bottles should be wiped off with a new clean paper towel to prevent build up. All lids should be put back on and tight. If you leave a lid off or fluid leaks out because it's not tight enough, throw it away and get a new one. Evaporation effects the amount of reagent to test water ratio. Spilling means you've potentially disturbed the collide distribution of chemicals in your bottle.

Again, I know this is probably "duh" for some people, but I also know it's not for others.

Edited to add: Be careful of where you buy your tests. Lots of sellers on Ebay and Amazon may be selling "discounted" items or items lost in shipping or recovered from shipping accidents. I know it's often cheaper, the question is is it worth it?

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know this may be "duh" for a lot of people out there but I wanted to post this because I've been shocked at how many people don't know this (Some of whom have been my friends and even LFS people who should know better). Disclaimer: While there is some cross over for digital test users, for the most part this is aimed at people who use color tests.

API (for example but not excluding other liquid tests) gets a lot of flack about not being accurate (how close the reading is to the true or accept value). I've used API for years and I've tested it against Red Sea and safe alert and had very similar results. Since there is no shared "base line" for any of these tests (except the color chart they give and even that has a margin of error) then the most you can hope for on any test is precision (how close the measurement of the same item are to one another).
Okay here are some of the basic things I have seen when dealing with tests that require reagents of any kind. (Again this will be a "duh" moment for a lot of people but I've had friends who've been surprised they should do this and I'm shocked at how few (almost none that I know of) test kits have instructions regarding this. I've actually called companies and asked at what temp the stuff should be stored. They've said room temp, but also admit sometimes these boxes sit in shipment at unknown temps. I've also had discussions with a chemist friend who has stated the importance of doing these kinds of steps.

1: Temperature. The storage temperature of your test kit can affect its accuracy, precision and longevity. Room temperature seems to be the best storage. Letting it sit in your hot car after purchase (you run into the mall and leave your package in the trunk that sorta thing), shippers letting it sit in a hot truck, store storing it in a non climate controlled storage room, can (I'd almost wager will) affect the contents of the test.

A: This is sometimes hard to remember. You are performing a scientific test that needs as few errors as possible. This means prepare your area. Make sure it's clean and free of stuff that might get in your way, get in your test, etc. All tests for each substance are best done if they are done multiple times at the same time. I usually do 2-3 vial tests simultaneously of each test (yes the same brand test and the same substance) but only one chemical test at a time. I.e. don't do phosphate until you've completed the nitrate. This reduces crossover contamination and simple confusion. And one test on my RODI water as a "base line". This way, I can compare results and if you missed something and made a mistake (one too many drops, not all of a drop, etc) that you didn't notice you have a back up. If all your tests come back identical then you've got a pretty good chance you did them right. If they don't then you should retest.

B: Wash your hands. Disposable gloves would be better, but at least wash your hands before and after each test and anytime you are going to come into contact with your tank or a whole new set of chemicals (like you do nitrate then phosphate or whatever).

A: vials should be washed between each use (rinsed is sufficient in my experience) and before each test it should be rinsed again then "rinsed" again in the salt water you plan on testing. This prevents droplets of clean water from affecting your test. Many of these tests are using 2-5 ML of water. A few drops can affect the outcome. When storing vials leave them uncapped and turned over so dust and other particulates don't get on the inside. Vials that have become discolored should be disposed of.

B: DO NOT use your finger as a "lid". I kid you NOT. I have seen LFS employees do this. They cover the end with their finger and "mix" the test tube contents. Your skin is acidic not to mention all the other effects your body oil will have on the chemicals or the chemicals of one test affecting another. On top of that these chemicals are toxic and some (I don't know which) could even be carcinogenic. Your skin absorbs. DON'T DO THIS PLEASE.

C: If you use a syringe (with a plunger), use a new one EVERY SINGLE TIME. Those little rubber plugs on those syringes absorb/collect stuff. Continuous use of the same syringe could contaminate your test. Remember, it only takes a small amount of contaminant to affect the results since you're dealing with such a small amount of fluid. This includes your salt water. Remember you're testing for chemicals, those chemicals could build up in your syringe. Washing it, IMHO isn't good enough. The rubber plunger is the issue. It not only has a seam between it and the plastic, it can form tiny cracks after just a few uses, will have small pores, etc, that can and will collect residue and affect a test. For example, you wash the plunger under your tap water and your tap water contains chlorine. You have a chance for residue to form thus could affect (however slight) your test.

A: Shake your bottles of liquid reagents no matter the test. I don't mean a ten second wimpy shake, I mean a good minute of vigorous shaking (unless the pamphlet states others wise--and yes read the directions). Many of these vials have fluids that may separate. When they separate guess what, the test comes back incorrect. If you have not been shaking your bottles then you need to throw away the test and get a new one. Remember, separation. Once the fluid separates you can't rely on the test because now there are different amounts of reagent components in the bottle. Bottles with really thick liquid should be shaken even longer. I'm not kidding, this is important. Also shake your bottles in between tests. Like if I do 3 tests on Nitrates, when I go to the 2nd test I re-shake the bottle because I have no idea how long it takes stuff to settle and 30 seconds to a minute might make a difference in accuracy and precision.

B: Pay very close attention to the amount of water in your test tube. Remember, we're using tiny doses. To have the correct amount of water in a test tube (and I have not seen this info in an instruction sheet unless it's been recently added or I missed it) you need to go by the MENISCUS. If you don't know what that is, I'm sure you've noticed how water curves in the test tube? To have the correct amount, you need to have the bottom of that curve at the line. Having just the top of the edges where the water curves or the top of the curve at the line means you have too little. Having the bottom of that curve with a gap between the bottom and the line means too much. If you have to, get *disposable* syringes (these are cheap and can be purchase online from pet/vet supply companies like Vally vet, or A to Z, Lambert, etc) to pull up water and put it in the test tube rather than trying to dip the tube into your tank to collect the water. Disposable pipets are even better. Getting the right amount of water can greatly affect the results of your test results. "Close" isn't good enough. Again, this is a scientific chemical test, you cannot have accuracy or precision on any level if you're sloppy.

C: Pay very, very, VERY close attention to the amount of reagent (chemicals you're putting together) to perform the test. You're dealing with tiny droplets and the droplets themselves already have a margin of error. Losing half a drop on the outside, the edge, having a drop form a bubble before going into the tube, affects your results. If you're not sure, guess what, start over. Again, sloppy doesn't produce precise/ accurate results.
In the case of safe alert some of the tests have powders which say "level spoon" (the spoon included in the test). Again, important to get that right. Personally I scoop up enough to make a mound, pack it down with the edge with a stiff card like a post card (throw away afterwards), then scrape off the excess back into the bottle leaving the edges clean and the powder the exact amount. If a chunk comes out of the middle (and sometimes it does if it's packed as is should be) I re-do. If I put the powder into the vial and part of it sticks to the side, I redo the test. Since the instructions say don't shake, there's no reliable way to get the powder off the side to mix.

Yes, the order in which you put the drops of the chemical in the water matter. If you mess up and put #2 in first, start over. If you mess up and don't shake between applications, start over.

E: Mix the amounts between applications. I noticed recently on the nitrate test (or maybe just finally noticed) API instructions now say to shake the vial for at least ONE MINUTE between the application of each chemical to the vial. I swear it did not say that in my first set of instructions I owned. If it says SWIRL (such as the Safe alert test and a few others) DON'T shake it, but do swirl, slowly and thoroughly for the time suggested, one way then the next (counter clockwise for 30 seconds clockwise for another thirty seconds until you've done the amount of needed time).

F: Between each application, before you pull off that lid, tap the vial with your finger. You know like you see in the old movies where they do that to a syringe. GENTLY so the tube won't break. This is to knock loose any droplets clinging to the lid so that you won't lose it when you open the lid. You will lose some to the edge of the tube (again why getting everything else is important) but this lessens the chance.

4: Time: The time suggested to let the vials sit is important. You're better to let it sit too long then too short but too long can still affect the results (I've learned this the hard way--oh I'll just do this while I'm waiting--thirty minutes later--oh crap). Set a timer, don't trust your "instincts."

A: Surfaces absorb and reflect light differently. The cards we use are laminated, the color is made from ink, on paper, and the solution you're reading is in glass and made from water. This will affect how light it reflected. The color you see in regards to an object, liquid, etc, is what's being reflected. It's important that you read these tests in a white light. Not your aquarium light, not near your aquarium light, and read all the tests under the same light. Put the tube against the white of the card. Objects around colors will affect how you perceive them. A yellow orange color may look more yellow next to something like red, or pink, where as next to blue or purple, more orange. You may think you're not putting it close to other colors, however the background of your room where you are reading the test matters. Hence, why it's important to make sure the vial is shielded by being placed against the card. Put the edge of the vial against the list of colors. Again, a white streak between them can affect how you perceive the color. Don't overlap or you will change the edge color of your vial. Look at it straight on so the light doesn't refract oddly or reflections of objects around you don't affect the color.
The type of light you read it by will also affect how the color test reads. Warm lights tend to have more yellow and that yellow will affect how your eye perceives the color. Personally I use and LED white light flash light or lamp light and hold the tube against the card under that. It's not perfect, but it's better than the standard room light.

When comparing, compare your baseline test first. If it's off, i.e. lighter or darker, you have an idea that the results stand the likelihood of being off in color, or that your card is discolored. This can be due to a printer running out of ink when they're being printed, faded by sun (protect your cards from sunlight), or even a bad batch of ink when the card was printed. If you have a drastic difference between your baseline color and the card color I'd advise re-doing the baseline test. If it's still off, then call the company and request a new card. DO NOT try and use a card off the internet. Different brand monitors show colors differently, two the dimness setting on your monitor affects the color, also you have no idea what kind of color settings were used when the card was scanned.

When doing the digital tests, believe it or not, you really should be doing it at least three times then take the average between the tests. There is a margin of error with digital tests. Depending on the circumstances sometimes it can be huge. If possible it would be great to compare the results of a test using different readers. Each reader is manufactured, there can be manufacturing differences that could affect your reading. Each of those readers has to be calibrated (not just by you but they have to be done correctly to have that baseline) and this is another place an error can happen.

To see how easy this happens use different thermometers to read the temp of your aquarium. Three different alcohol thermometers can read multiple degrees off. Digital thermometers are only accurate if they are calibrated correctly, but are usually more accurate overall. I've got some digital thermometers that read as much as 5 degrees different from alcohol and the same with alcohol to alcohol.
When this happens, I use an average or I invest in a professional level thermometer for something that requires accuracy like photo developing etc.

The stuff about reagents, temp, etc, all applies to those who use a digital reader. Your reagents that allow that digital reader to work, go bad, can be ruined by temperature, and if they colloids they will separate, therefore need to be mixed every time and if you haven't been mixing (shaking) them you need new reagents. Readers need to be cleaned, application bottles need to be wiped down.
All chemical bottles should be wiped off with a new clean paper towel to prevent build up. All lids should be put back on and tight. If you leave a lid off or fluid leaks out because it's not tight enough, throw it away and get a new one. Evaporation effects the amount of reagent to test water ratio. Spilling means you've potentially disturbed the collide distribution of chemicals in your bottle.

Again, I know this is probably "duh" for some people, but I also know it's not for others.

Edited to add: Be careful of where you buy your tests. Lots of sellers on Ebay and Amazon may be selling "discounted" items or items lost in shipping or recovered from shipping accidents. I know it's often cheaper, the question is is it worth it?
Nice review - and I think most of your comments are spot on - I just have a couple comments.

I think the key to all of the is 'FOLLOW THE DIRECTiONS'.

1. If there is an expiration date on the bottle, don't use it (if its expired)
2. if it says wait x minutes, wait x minutes not x - 30 seconds or x + 30 seconds
3. I'm not sure about the syringe/plunger issue. But - not sure exactly what you mean. For example, I use a 5 cc syringe to fill up my vials. It is rinsed with water immediately after use - and dried separately - then rinsed with tank water again before use. It is only in contact with salt water for a matter of minutes. Many test kits contain syringes - which are to be used repeatedly.
4. Also not sure why to do 2 or 3 of the same test (since you might be making the same error with each one - thus all 3 could give you the same false results. If you want to double check - I would suggest using 2 different testing methods and comparing. Which then leads to further issues if they are disparate.
5. I'm also not sure its correct to 'vigourously shake' every reagent - unless the instructions tell you to do so. if the instructions state - mix the vial a couple times before using - thats what I would do - I would not vigorously shake every chemical.

OP
OP
MixedFruitBasket

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice review - and I think most of your comments are spot on - I just have a couple comments.

I think the key to all of the is 'FOLLOW THE DIRECTiONS'.

3. I'm not sure about the syringe/plunger issue. But - not sure exactly what you mean. For example, I use a 5 cc syringe to fill up my vials. It is rinsed with water immediately after use - and dried separately - then rinsed with tank water again before use. It is only in contact with salt water for a matter of minutes. Many test kits contain syringes - which are to be used repeatedly.

The directions don't have many things you need to know.

The syringe: A syringe plunger is made of rubber. That rubber dry rots and or naturally has cracks in it. While I know a lot of test kits have one in them and only one to be used repeatedly, I personally don't. The reason is simple, if there are cracks you can't see liquids will penetrate them and there will be residue you can't rinse off. That residue will come into contact with your later test samples.

4. Also not sure why to do 2 or 3 of the same test (since you might be making the same error with each one - thus all 3 could give you the same false results. If you want to double check - I would suggest using 2 different testing methods and comparing. Which then leads to further issues if they are disparate.

This isn't about about false test results. First: When you get a good reading do you re-test? Then how do you know it's a good reading? If you get a bad result do you re-test (several will re-test then but not when it's what they want). Doing three tests is basically a way to double check yourself and your results because you can have differences between tests due to small human errors and because what we use to measure out the reagents with isn't exact.

5. I'm also not sure its correct to 'vigourously shake' every reagent - unless the instructions tell you to do so. if the instructions state - mix the vial a couple times before using - thats what I would do - I would not vigorously shake every chemical.

The bottles also don't tell you to store them at room temperature (or didn't when I first bought tests, been a while since I've gone back and looked.) They don't tell you to keep the caps on secure so there isn't any evaporation which can change the chemical balance of the test. Don't expose to extreme heat or cold, etc.
Many of the reagents are colloids, those separate, that's just a fact. Some bottles with really thick liquid will tell you to shake them, but the thinner liquids can separate as well. And since they (API) don't have a warning about NOT shaking them, I'd be more concerned about having a separated mixture.

While this is just anecdotal evidence and its the only one I've done this on cause I do it the most: When I have not shaken my API nitrate bottles and I do a test, my water comes back perfect even when I know it's not. Then those test results do not coincide with my safe alert test which deals with a powder not a liquid as a second stage which can say my nitrates are at 20ppm. The API also doesn't coincide with the Red Sea either.
However, when I make sure that the chemicals are well mixed, the results are exceedingly close.

There have also been times where I have left a bottle open and not closed well (like left it in a cabinet for over a week) and have gone back to use it, enough has evaporated that it affects the results when compared to other tests.

And I have asked API directly about an ammonia test (I think) and another I can't remember and that's when I was told about the temps and the shaking but it was a conversation over the phone and not in writing. Their advice on shaking went beyond the "30 seconds" on the second bottle. At least for me.

Of course, you can always call the company and ask yourself.

A quick search on the internet resulted in this interaction between a customer and API.

According to the poster, the following is API's response to their issue with a nitrate test: (and I am sure there are others as well)

"Liquid Nitrate Test Kits from any manufacturer can have a common problem
with their last test solution. For some companies, it is bottle number
3, but for us it is bottle number 2. One of the ingredients wants to
solidify out of liquid solution. If the test bottle sits for any period
of time, this can happen. If this does happen and the test is performed
without Bottle # 2 mixed properly, then you can get a falsely low
reading. I have never heard of falsely high readings with Nitrate Kits.
I would try tapping your Bottle # 2 a few times on a table or counter
top. This should loosen-up anything that has solidified. Then I would
shake this bottle for about 2-3 minutes, to really mix it up. Try the
test again and hopefully this will fix your problem. With regular weekly
usage, this bottle should only need to be shaken for 30-60 seconds."

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As I said earlier - I think most of your points are 'spot on' (I.e. I agree with them - keep them at room temperature, etc). So I wasn't intending to debate.

My point was merely to suggest that MOST testing error does not relate to syringes breaking down, the chemicals being stored in a hot truck during shipment (or a cold one), It relates to 'not following the directions'. That was it.

The API nitrate - and I believe Calcium kits have reagents that need to be vigorously shaken for x period of time. Its in the instructions. My guess is that most people do not do this properly. API also suggests that bottles be held perfectly vertical when putting drops in - my guess is people do not do this correctly either. Ditto with how to fill up the vial to the line.

My disagreement was needing to vigorously shake 'every' bottle. I do not think this is correct - and may lead to erroneous results.

To answer your question - I am not a huge fan of daily, weekly, etc testing. If my tank looks good, thriving and not having problems. I do not test 'that often'. If there is a problem - I test. When I do - I do it carefully, according to the instructions, and I trust the result. If it is 'good' - I assume its 'good' if its 'bad' - I MAY test with another method to verify it - but would likely try to rectify whatever issue arises - especially if the result makes sense (i.e. lots of coral growth - and a lower alkalinity, etc). If those are disparate - I use a 3rd method.

You missed my point about testing 2-3 times with the same method (I think) - or I wasn't clear. Lets say you're doing a nitrate test - like your example - and you don't shake the nitrate bottle 2. You are going to get 2 (or 3) identical 'wrong' results. You have gained nothing IMHO - except wasted time and reagents.

I worked in science and labs and etc for years - so I get where you're going with this. BUT - these tests were designed for people without those backgrounds - and have some controls for that lack of expertise that you have. Thus - my comment - make sure the kits aren't expired, and follow the instructions

trainbob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for taking the time to post this. I am not a scientist so I won’t comment on your procedures except to say that I found them very helpful and will try to use this information. Please keep information like this coming for those of us that don’t have a scientific background but have a desire to learn about this aspect of reef keeping

Appoloreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Great information, most people I am sure do not do it this way and their test results could be part of the problem as to why their tank is not doing very well, who would have thought that testing could be out biggest issue with out tank instead of thinking it is something else. Thank you for the informative information.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back