The Frugal Forty

DuPageReef?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First things first, I'm pretty proud of the alliteration on the title of this thread, don't want it to go unnoticed. I'm brand new to the hobby, starting accumulating stuff almost over a year ago, and then got married, bought a house, began fixing up said house, and I'm now finally at the point that tank setup is coming up in the next few weeks, and I decided it's probably a good idea to write all this down somewhere. I went super unconventional and got a 40b from the petco dollar per gallon sale, and a 20L for a DIY sump, which I'm sure no one has ever done and this site isn't riddled with the exact same setup.

I didn't take many pictures, but at this point I have:

-Return Pump- Lifeguard 317 gph (may upgrade to the next size up & use as waterchange pump)
-One Hydor Koralia nano 240 gph (adding at least one 425 gph hydor once coral is added)
-Eheim Jager heater
-25lbs BRS pukani rock
-CPR Overflow box (I drilled the tank, two 1" drains for herbie, one 3/4" return)
-Bunch of misc. plumbing stuff
-Silicone & 1/4" acrylic for diy sump
-Refugium light
-A DIY stand which is mostly complete
- 10 gallon tank, hob filter & stand for QT (currently occupied by 2 clowns)
-Probably other things I've forgotten

Plan is to plumb the tank early next week, get it running by that next weekend. I cured all of the rock for over 4 months and I'm monkeying around with the aquascape now. This is attempt #1, so feel free to give any advice or pointers as I've never done coral, so I'm concerned about placement.
IMG_20180926_163944518.jpg

IMG_20180926_163950760.jpg

I have two clowns in (a cycled) QT which I got this past weekend, just gave their first dose of prazi yesterday, plan on roughly following the protocols in some of the articles on R2R. If all works out well, they should be ready to go into the tank once it's up, running and cycled.

Stand is almost complete, the framing was 2x lumber, skinned the sides with some 1/4" crappy plywood I had already, so the sides and top got painted black, the entire inside got multiple coats of white mold resistant primer, and the bottom 'tray' I sprayed with white flexseal, which if you're wondering smells like cancer in a can. I have two 2'x4' sheets of pretty nice looking 1/4" birch plywood, and some 1x2 that I'm making some doors out of once I'm done with some of the other stuff, they'll just be finished with poly. I've built some furniture before, really prefer simple design which is why there's no trim, and not staining the wood, just letting it do it's thing, looking natural. In this case I got cheap and didn't want nice plywood for the sides, but the tank is tucked into a nook, so the sides are both going to be 6" away from the wall, so who cares if it's just black.
IMG_20180925_181140893.jpg

So yeah, plan is to start this thing as a FOWLER for a while. My goal is to keep it as simple as possible. Filtration is primarily rock, refugium and water changes. I'd like to not have a skimmer just because of cost, and it's one less thing to break down and clean every few months, but the sump will be designed to accept one if I decide later to add. The stand has room for the sump, and a 5 gal. bucket that can be for an ATO, which I'm waiting to get until black friday sales most likely. Same goes for lighting, I'm leaning towards two AI Primes, I've thought about SB Reef as well, so I'll wait on lights until I find some deals.

Overall, I want this to be a decent setup, while also being cheap as possible. I don't plan on buying anything that I need to upgrade a year down the line, so I'd rather leave equipment out (skimmer for example) entirely but have the system able to add one easily. Cheap isn't going to be crappy equipment, just not dumping a ton of money on top of the line equipment when something more economical will do.

This is probably way longer of a post than it had any business being. Again, this is my first reef so by all means, let me know opinions, ideas, anything at all. Thanks.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great start! and welcome to reefing and R2R!

40br are a great tank one of my fav. I moved my 90 rimless and put everything in a 40br holding tank and in no rush getting the other set back up...haha

nice scape. hard to tell from the pic but may be move one back and/or the other forward to give it some depth?? I like the pices on the bottom I bet they will fill up with corals first. ( its east to run out of space for frags ) maybe break off a pices on the right large rock and put it pointing towards the Right corner?
over all its a very nice scape and nice tank!

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
joker.gif

Welcome to Reef2Reef. Love the pukani. If I would have known it was going to be so hard to get now I would have ordered 5x the amount I did. You sound like my kind of guy, not getting in a hurry and patient enough to wait for the good deal.

ether

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! 40b is a good size, but I predict you'll want to go larger shortly. Also, add some corals. There are plenty that are easy and cheap, and they add so much color and movement.

OP
OP
D

DuPageReef?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies. Luckily for me and my wallet, there's really no where else in the house to add a bigger tank. Mostly exterior walls with giant windows.

I'm going to keep messing with the aquascape over the next couple of days.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a great start! Welcome to the forum!

OP
OP
D

DuPageReef?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also looking at my sump, planning on building it Monday when I silicone the iverflow box to the tank. Again, I'm looking for super simple, easy to clean, and versitile for future upgrades. I'm also going full force on the refugium so trying to max that out. Baffles are going to be 1/4" acrylic which I already have, this is what I have for a design. Any opinions would be helpful.

Last edited:

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies. Luckily for me and my wallet, there's really no where else in the house to add a bigger tank. Mostly exterior walls with giant windows.

I'm going to keep messing with the aquascape over the next couple of days.
Heheheeeee I thought the same until I discovered blackout curtains

OP
OP
D

DuPageReef?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So update. I've got the tank all plumbed, and leak tested last night. The only leak was in the corner of the overflow box, so amazingly all of the connections that I made were fine, it was the factory made CPR box that had the tiniest trickle of a leak. Not bad for my first attempt at PVC ever. I added some silicone this morning, and will test again tomorrow.

I also checked the return rate with a stopwatch and 2 gallon bucket. I'm getting just over 125 gph so right at 3x turnover through the sump. Most likely the return pump will be replaced with something higher flow at some point in the future.

OP
OP
D

DuPageReef?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tank has been running for a few weeks with all of the rock, and some cycled media. Yesterday I moved the two clowns from the quarantine tank into the 40, and added an emerald crab and 5 astrea snails to the qt. I'm planning on doing 45 day qt for inverts so they'll go in early December.

Now I'm just waiting until black Friday sales for an ato and lights. I'm hoping to get another fish in qt very soon, hoping people had some recommendations for fish? I'm thinking a tail spot blenny for sure, then I don't know. Maybe standard firefish, chalk bass, eventually I'd like a Mandarin, but that's over a year away if ever. Thoughts?

IMG_20181021_131933453.jpg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tank has been running for a few weeks with all of the rock, and some cycled media. Yesterday I moved the two clowns from the quarantine tank into the 40, and added an emerald crab and 5 astrea snails to the qt. I'm planning on doing 45 day qt for inverts so they'll go in early December.

Now I'm just waiting until black Friday sales for an ato and lights. I'm hoping to get another fish in qt very soon, hoping people had some recommendations for fish? I'm thinking a tail spot blenny for sure, then I don't know. Maybe standard firefish, chalk bass, eventually I'd like a Mandarin, but that's over a year away if ever. Thoughts?

IMG_20181021_131933453.jpg

Love the aquascape.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, kudos on the alliteration...well done! Secondly, aquascape looks great......looks like you are off to a good start. Keep posting pictures :)

OP
OP
D

DuPageReef?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20181026_192531331.jpg

So this is the tank overall as of 5 minutes ago. You can see my high tech expensive lighting, but the tank fits in the space better than I could have hoped. The doors for the stand are being glued up now.

The tank has been running for a few weeks, with fish for one and I've had none of the diatoms or algea that I was expecting. Maybe because there's essentially no light? At this point I'm just waiting for uglyness.

IMG_20181026_192605103.jpg

This is a better shot of the sump. There's room. In the left side for a 5gal bucket which will be an ato once I get it. I'm kind of a toss up between jbj and tunze, but I have a month or so before buying so any opinions would be helpful. Same thing with lights, I'm leaning towards two ai primes, I'm hoping to be under $350 total which might be possible on sales, but again opinions would be great.

IMG_20181026_192633744.jpg

Last bit is the qt tank, which has 5 astrea snails and an emerald crab. They'll move to the dt in early december, which is a horrible wait but people smarter than me on this site recommend it so oh well. I put a clip light next to the tank to get some algea growing for them, and I think it's been working pretty well.

That's about it for an update, see anything that could be fixed or tweaked, definitely chime in.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back