The Great WD SPS Debate - Battle ZONE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

acolotto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe anyone said t was fake, but let's be honest you can't really tell any of those apart. Only I can assume you got a small WD frag so it's one of the smaller ones but no way I'd put money on identifying them

OP
OP
ReefMadScientist

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its your tank man if your happy that's all that matters. I was more of just talking about the WD in general from my point of view. Viewing it as when I buy frags of these sticks, I research mother colonies and how it looks in others peoples tanks because what sells me with names pieces is the original colony. For example I have a RR Asia Wolverine and Orange Passion and both are frags still just starting to sprout more nubs but I can easily tell they are what they were sold as and can see all the colors the colony pics show but mine are just not colonies yet but easily identifiable as they're respective names. I seen a whole bunch of pictures of how they turned out in others tank while researching and was confident if I buy this frag for $250+ I'll get the colors and as it ages it'll just be larger with the same colors as frag and as a colony. This weekend for the jfox live sale I'm gonna try my darnest to get a fox flame because I know I'll get a frag that will look like the fox flame, will more then likely be showing the right colors, and grow into a duplicate of mother. I believe this because many others have done it. I haven't seen any proof from any of the people who have frags or mini colonies of the WD post pictures that replicate the original mother colony so I can not buy into the hype. But if people were to post pictures and success of how they replicated the original then I'd be all in. Of course these pictures would have to represented without the grease. Just picture with honest white balance. I don't care if you photoshop corals but do it to how they look when you look through the glass of your aquarium in the middle of the day not with filters, extra blue lights, and all the other methods that enhance corals to what they are not.

I appreciate the well thought out post :). I too was going to try to get that Fox Flame but will hold off.

OP
OP
ReefMadScientist

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok. For a second I thought the 1st pic was showing a hermit crab attacking a poor snail. My bad
HAHAHA!!!! I actually do have a large hermit crab that has coralline all over its shell. Looks pretty cool with the blues on.

But no, it was side x side of my WD and my RROP

OP
OP
ReefMadScientist

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe anyone said t was fake, but let's be honest you can't really tell any of those apart. Only I can assume you got a small WD frag so it's one of the smaller ones but no way I'd put money on identifying them

Sorry for the misunderstanding. The top two are OP's and the bottom was the WD.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hybrid. Post up your wd

I'd love to post pics for you to critique but then I thought, why do I care what this dude thinks about pics? The guy calls out ppl for photoshopping but yet cant take a decent pic to save his life. Your pic of the yum yum looks like you borrowed my 2 year olds leap pad and took a top down with it. If your gonna call ppl out for pics at least for heavens sake know how to take pics yourself. :)

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's for me best to find closure on this subject as I have 1000's of more important things to do than beating a dead horse.
We all agree that we have a small team that no matter WHAT the WD looks like still things that it looks like as in the pics of the original colony.
Well, as some pics are shown................ it's just not, you can argue all you want to justify that but it ain't working, PERIOD.
To bring some peace for all why don't we call it truth and you guys can post more pics in a few months (that is if it ever grows) and we can see how the colors turn out in just a point and shoot photo session.

This..............
WD%20acro-L.jpg

vs this.............. (20K, 4000W of LED's) lol.
Believe me I did my best to make it look like the first pic, btw it doesn't look like that in my tank with my 8 bulb custom blend of Giesemann bulbs.
DSC_0781-L.jpg

As you can see mine little turt branched out pretty good but colors still not even close to the first pic after more than a year!
I can easily frag mine in 4 pieces maybe 5 and sell it for $100 a piece to justify what I paid for, and made some profit too.
But the coral isn't more worth than $40, it's the name on it you pay for.
FYI, I paid $200 for the coral and $50 shipping.
And for me it isn't about the profit.
If I sell my corals local you walk out my frag room with bags of coral that you pay everywhere else twice as much if not more.
Than I turn around and give my wife and kids most of that as $5 for me is enough for a starbucks.
It's a hobby to me and not a investment.
Another subject to bring up is that some of your ppl don't know this why it suddenly is just called WD and not by the full name :eek:.............??
This hobby is SO MUCH BIGGER than each of us and for that I stick with the corals that will give me the satisfaction for what this hobby is all about.

jasonandsarah

Sticks, sticks and more STICKS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's for me best to find closure on this subject as I have 1000's of more important things to do than beating a dead horse.
We all agree that we have a small team that no matter WHAT the WD looks like still things that it looks like as in the pics of the original colony.
Well, as some pics are shown................ it's just not, you can argue all you want to justify that but it ain't working, PERIOD.
To bring some peace for all why don't we call it truth and you guys can post more pics in a few months (that is if it ever grows) and we can see how the colors turn out in just a point and shoot photo session.

This..............
WD%20acro-L.jpg

vs this.............. (20K, 4000W of LED's) lol.
Believe me I did my best to make it look like the first pic, btw it doesn't look like that in my tank with my 8 bulb custom blend of Giesemann bulbs.
DSC_0781-L.jpg

As you can see mine little turt branched out pretty good but colors still not even close to the first pic after more than a year!
I can easily frag mine in 4 pieces maybe 5 and sell it for $100 a piece to justify what I paid for, and made some profit too.
But the coral isn't more worth than $40, it's the name on it you pay for.
FYI, I paid $200 for the coral and $50 shipping.
And for me it isn't about the profit.
If I sell my corals local you walk out my frag room with bags of coral that you pay everywhere else twice as much if not more.
Than I turn around and give my wife and kids most of that as $5 for me is enough for a starbucks.
It's a hobby to me and not a investment.
Another subject to bring up is that some of your ppl don't know this why it suddenly is just called WD and not by the full name :eek:.............??
This hobby is SO MUCH BIGGER than each of us and for that I stick with the corals that will give me the satisfaction for what this hobby is all about.

I'd have to agree with every word you just said 100%! No matter what a coral cost you should be buying it to enjoy it and not just to make a profit.
I buy my sticks to enjoy them and then when they get to big or are about to start touching I sell pieces at prices I feel are reasonable no matter what I had to pay for the original frag.

Tweaked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say this, once I saw peeps growing and coloring the Fox Flames into beautiful red colonies with yellow tips exactly as promised, I myself bought a frag two weeks ago. You need to do your research in this hobby, and if you don't, you cant complain. PERIOD

reef4beer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd have to agree with every word you just said 100%! No matter what a coral cost you should be buying it to enjoy it and not just to make a profit.
I buy my sticks to enjoy them and then when they get to big or are about to start touching I sell pieces at prices I feel are reasonable no matter what I had to pay for the original frag.

Well said, If you like it buy it. I don't know about everyone else but I buy my corals when I like them and not because of the name.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.......So after reading 10 pages of this thread for some unknown reason, I thought it was supposed to be about growing out/or show casing a certain coral but it looks like it actually has nothing to do with the tittle and is more about calling other people names and saying the are liars, cheaters, unethical or dumb.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Diesel. They are so over priced,I'm suprised the Disney Corp. arn't coming after there cut.

Don't get me wrong as I never said it was overpriced.
If the WD looked like the original pics it is worth what ever the buyer pays for it.
I have plenty of corals in my tank that I paid $300 or even more for and I had no problem with that.
I don't argue on asking prices but when you return as a buyer in most cases the coral vendor gives me the Diesel special.
As I can name a few vendors on R2R that I deal with and I stick with them as I trust for what they show me in a WYSIWYG pic and I receive as for what it was sold for.
I just can not say that about the WD, and to be honest nobody can.
Gonzo is asking over and over to show pics and none of them game even close include my WD.

Gonzo

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my point by has been proven. Even got pm from 1 of the wd fan boys wanting to buy the yum yum. Thanks but no Thanks.

I am also done here. Not 1 person could come close to matching the mother colony pics.

OP
OP
ReefMadScientist

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diesel - I agree with your comments but your frag of the WD appears to have changed color or is changing color or the picture is not true to the real shot. I understand you believe the WD you got is not worth more than $40 bucks. I sincerely wish your frag the best in getting its colors back. As you can see in my pictures, I DO have the colors already. Maybe its water chemistry, lighting, diff. frag, who knows.

OP
OP
ReefMadScientist

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my point by has been proven. Even got pm from 1 of the wd fan boys wanting to buy the yum yum. Thanks but no Thanks.

I am also done here. Not 1 person could come close to matching the mother colony pics.

Fanboy huh? Seems like you're the only one trying to cause a divide in the whole issue.

Your correct, your point has been proven to yourself. Congratulations on the sell of the Yum Yum as well. You got your exposure.

Yep, not 1 person could come close but your Yum Yum was SPOT ON. Later.

Gonzo

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 last post. You started the thread fella. Not my fault it didn't turn out like you thought it would.

If I count you asking for a yum yum that's 2 people in this thread. But yet I have not sold to either of you.

Still not 1 frag posted of the wd comes close to the mother. That's the point chief. Especially your frag lol. I can't tell the 3 apart hahaha

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

That was me who asked you.

Lol so you are refusing me sale because I bought WD and like it

Great and good to know.

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
And another thing Gonzo if I had bought yum yum and people were bashing you I would have stood up for you

Not as a fan boy but the thing that you are totally not understanding.

It's my money and for me WD was worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 47 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back