The greatest find ever. Rainbow chalice, ID?

rasmus2809

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard of a shop moving location and went to check out if they had any nice corals on sale. My current reef is only ~1year old, so I was not looking into buying anything special. Just some easy corals as an addition to what I already have.

Found some easy/cheap corals and while looking around I came across their chalice area with this one particular specimen that was so incredibly colorful. Stood there dreaming of one day owning a piece like this, jokingly asking if the price range would even be realistic for me.
After hearing the price I knew I had to get it home - so here it is.

Do any of you know what this can be classified as? Color variant?
And what would the price estimate of this piece be at? It's roughly 5cm (~2inches) diameter, pretty even round. Not interested in selling it, but curious as to whether or not I actually made a good deal.

Pictures are straight out of a phone, taken through red filter glasses.
image_67225857.JPG image_67187457.JPG image_67202561.JPG

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks to be about 150 to 200 euro depending upon the dealer. My larger premium pieces averaged 250 euro but I have no green edged piece. I have a similar looking large 13x6 cm piece that is getting its color back just now so how it will end up I don't know. There are some greenish tints at the edges but its just settling in after a few months and showing the first growth. I am happy because it was the more fragile of the chalice pieces.

OP
OP
R

rasmus2809

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks to be about 150 to 200 euro depending upon the dealer. My larger premium pieces averaged 250 euro but I have no green edged piece. I have a similar looking large 13x6 cm piece that is getting its color back just now so how it will end up I don't know. There are some greenish tints at the edges but its just settling in after a few months and showing the first growth. I am happy because it was the more fragile of the chalice pieces.
Thanks for the reply! I did a pretty good deal then at ~70€ for this piece.

I really hope I am able to keep it thriving and possibly frag it in a few years time.

OP
OP
R

rasmus2809

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This appears to be a rimless watermelon chalice. $50-$75 US depending on the shop.
Thanks for the reply! I think the watermelons I have seen are more uniformly colored with spots on a base color?
This one seems more randomly colored, if that makes sense. Some of the "mouths" are surrounded by deep red and others green or purple.
Comparing it to WWC Red Watermelon Chalice it seems very different, with more colors to it: 5 compared to 4 for WWC.

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Seems closest to Watermelon chalice to me too, but of course easier to tell differences in person. Could just be an no name.

OP
OP
R

rasmus2809

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't put much stock on colors matching others for a comparison. Especially since it was moved from one tank to another not knowing how long it's been in the former.

I think $75 seems right for retail. The fact that it stood out to you makes it priceless!
Thanks! It's good to know more about these things. It's a jungle once you get into the color names/variants of corals.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard of a shop moving location and went to check out if they had any nice corals on sale. My current reef is only ~1year old, so I was not looking into buying anything special. Just some easy corals as an addition to what I already have.

Found some easy/cheap corals and while looking around I came across their chalice area with this one particular specimen that was so incredibly colorful. Stood there dreaming of one day owning a piece like this, jokingly asking if the price range would even be realistic for me.
After hearing the price I knew I had to get it home - so here it is.

Do any of you know what this can be classified as? Color variant?
And what would the price estimate of this piece be at? It's roughly 5cm (~2inches) diameter, pretty even round. Not interested in selling it, but curious as to whether or not I actually made a good deal.

Pictures are straight out of a phone, taken through red filter glasses.
image_67225857.JPG image_67187457.JPG image_67202561.JPG
Looks like a lobophylliid chalice. I'm guessing echinophyllia.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 24 31.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 61 79.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.2%
Back