The Green Carbon Dosing Metalology (phytoplankton)

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we are using planktons very differently at this stage though. Your goal is for them to breakdown and feed bacteria etc, while mine is direct feeding.

My thinking is this: it's much more plausible to have corals encoutering nanoplanktons, as compared to larger and stronger preys. For example, tubastraea, if individual coral polyps require their own food supply, it is gonna be much more difficult to fulfil if they rely on larger pods on the regular basis.

Another interesting observation is that with smaller prey, it seems like LPS can feed without the often seen "feeding tentacles" look. Yet they look puffy and healthy. (The aquarium is run with very low nitrate and phosphate).

PSX_20211101_212215.jpg
Yes, my ultimate goal would be raising microbes and micro fauna in the water column, to be able to feed one of my favourite corals. If this doesn’t work regarding the coral feed I may thrown the towel.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 7

The PP reactor was getting to full, emptied it out, worst smell I can recall to date.

6B3093AA-A7D0-439F-A634-90DBECE43700.jpeg

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates ?
It's really an interesting test/experiment
There isn’t much to update at the moment, sorry, everything still looks the same as before, the snails doing a good work cleaning the rocks, the dinoflagellates managed to stay out of the way, will be doing weekly updates now as this will take months to see all the effects. In addition I’ve reduced my lights for a few days to see if this would affect the reactor, I noticed that the phytoplankton takes longer to break and this somehow affected the happiness of one of my corals Thad has been sulking since that change.

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There isn’t much to update at the moment, sorry, everything still looks the same as before, the snails doing a good work cleaning the rocks, the dinoflagellates managed to stay out of the way, will be doing weekly updates now as this will take months to see all the effects. In addition I’ve reduced my lights for a few days to see if this would affect the reactor, I noticed that the phytoplankton takes longer to break and this somehow affected the happiness of one of my corals Thad has been sulking since that change.
Im wondering about the difference b/w live Phyto and frozen phyto, and also the impact of rotifers. Are you expecting to do any experiments on this topic?

Tritium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id like to see if your dosing has the same effect when just added to the water column, not into the reactor. Crazy how positively it has affected the tank thus far

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back