The important algae bed in the refugium

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*** WARNING ***
Don't you kids try this at home!

Before
PC080009.JPG

After
P8100001.JPG

I was going to thin out the algae bed. It was so thick it just came out in one piece and threw it in the trash. The result was an NO3 spike. The corals turned brown and started tissue recession. One coral bleached out. Waiting for the Triton test to come back.

before
PC080015.JPG

After
P8100002.JPG

Before
PC080017.JPG

After
P8100003.JPG

Before
PC080019.JPG

After
P8100004.JPG

Before
PC080022.JPG

After
P8100005.JPG

Before

PC080040.JPG

After
P8100006.JPG

Before
PC080030.JPG

After
P8100008.JPG

I now
realize just how important the algae bed in the refugium is.

The lights are turned down to a minimum.
No3 is 1 ppm.
A 30 gallon water change from the 145 gallon system.
Temperature is 75º.
Salinity 35.
Stopped dosing everything and will start dosing elementz only at the entry level to maintain 7 DKH.
Monthly Triton water testing.

I'm open to suggestions to get the tank back on track?
I'm not sure if I should cut away the dead coral yet (coral with no tissue left)?
I notice tinny bugs at some of the tissue recession and bought a six line wrasse?
Not all corals show damage?
The fish are fine?

On a positive note reef keeping is all about learning, right?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might the little bugs be some kind of copepod, providing clean up to necrotic tissues?

It won't make your loss any better, but I'm a lifelong learner and I feel your pain.
Thanks for posting the progression pictures and incident scenario. Sorry for this loss.

OP
OP
gpwdr

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might the little bugs be some kind of copepod, providing clean up to necrotic tissues?

It won't make your loss any better, but I'm a lifelong learner and I feel your pain.
Thanks for posting the progression pictures and incident scenario. Sorry for this loss.
Your so right. Now I wish I didn't put the wrasse in there. On the other hand I also believe given the right conditions the bad guys will multiple.
I don't have a microscope and don't know how to identify anything that tiny?
Confusion plus?

Motts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your lose. Your progress was the reason i pulled the trigger on Triton method in the first place, thank you. In the 1 1/2 years of doing the Triton method i have completely vacuumed cleaned the fuge twice by completely removing the cheato (only algae left as its to over powering) first then cleaning the fuge part of the sump and replacing the cheato with no ill effects at all but that being said i can see how disrupting the fuge can cause a massive No3 spike as my fuge looked like the NYC sewer system after the cheato was removed. I have also trimmed the 3 inches of dead cheato sticking out of the water on 4 separate occasions also with no ill effects but corals did not look happy for the first 24 hours. I guess thats why they say not to trim the algae. If it aint broken dont fix it.

Cut the dead skeletons out asap since you are restarting the algae bed imo the skeletons will be a nuisance algae attractions and you know the algae issues when starting or i guess in this case re-starting the Triton method, get those urchins ready.

OP
OP
gpwdr

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your lose. Your progress was the reason i pulled the trigger on Triton method in the first place, thank you. In the 1 1/2 years of doing the Triton method i have completely vacuumed cleaned the fuge twice by completely removing the cheato (only algae left as its to over powering) first then cleaning the fuge part of the sump and replacing the cheato with no ill effects at all but that being said i can see how disrupting the fuge can cause a massive No3 spike as my fuge looked like the NYC sewer system after the cheato was removed. I have also trimmed the 3 inches of dead cheato sticking out of the water on 4 separate occasions also with no ill effects but corals did not look happy for the first 24 hours. I guess thats why they say not to trim the algae. If it aint broken dont fix it.

Cut the dead skeletons out asap since you are restarting the algae bed imo the skeletons will be a nuisance algae attractions and you know the algae issues when starting or i guess in this case re-starting the Triton method, get those urchins ready.
I sure learned my lesson, thanks Motts

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P8180095.jpg

Walla an algae bed. Or a refugium. Or a bed of algae. It's a BIG part of the Triton reef keeping system. (just learned how big)

Ahh- thanks. I just had never heard it referred to as "Algae Bed". Does that imply a substrate is used, or is that term interchangeable with refugium?

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you believe it was due to just the nutrient spike, I’d start some type of algae bed again and try and get your nutrients back to what they were.

I’d personally cut away the dead parts of the coral. Algae is just going to grow on it and make it harder for the coral to heal.

With time you will get things back under control.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gpwdr

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you believe it was due to just the nutrient spike, I’d start some type of algae bed again and try and get your nutrients back to what they were.

I’d personally cut away the dead parts of the coral it algae is just going to grow on it and make it harder for the coral to heal.

With time you will get things back under control.
Yep I'm taking your advice. The algae bed is coming back, NO3 is 1 ppm. I've been cutting back the dead coral. I have only a few lights on? Not sure about the lighting?

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing. Do you have any more details on how high your nitrates got and over what time frame did this occur?

Back